Excessive Warming Up times ~ 3-5

Reaction score
This is my second P3, the first took 30 sec - 1 min to warm up, this one takes as long as 4-5 min first flight of the day, 1-3 min subsequent flights.

I've also been seeing a lot more warnings about compass errors/ electromagnetic interference while flying from my deck that I don't recall getting with the first.

This P3 is now on 1.26 but was the same behaviour back on 1.9

What is an average, acceptable warm up period?

When did you last do an IMU? Apparently if you do an IMU Cali when your bird is warm it takes longer to start up. It has to reach the temp the IMU Cali was done at. I remove the battery of my p3, stick its in front of the carpet air con for 5 mins, then straight in the house to an already started laptop/Cali setup ready to go.

It is quite possible you did a warm IMU calibration. For example, if you calibrated the IMU after running the bird for a while, or in hot ambient temperatures....the bird will "warm up" until it reaches a similar temperature. Try a cold IMU calibration. This typically will reduce warmup times:

1). Place the bird in the coolest spot in the house. And give it sufficient time to cool down to "room temperature". If you have air conditioning, crank that. Some suggest even putting the bird in the fridge. This could introduce a situation where you get condensation on the components so I don't recommend that. However, cooling it in an air conditioned house, or car can avoid the condensation issue. Absent air conditioning, do it at night, when the temperature is lowest. Point is, you want the bird to be as cool as possible.

2). Prepare a perfectly flat location to do the IMU calibration.

3). Immediately after turning on the bird, begin the IMU calibration ASAP. Know where in the pilot app this feature is begun, and start it immediately after powering up the bird. Any delay allows the bird to warm up, thus extending your possible subsequent warmup times.

Cold, or "colder" IMU calibrations typically addresses excessive warm-up times.

EDIT: Snooze beat me to it

It is quite possible you did a warm IMU calibration. For example, if you calibrated the IMU after running the bird for a while, or in hot ambient temperatures....the bird will "warm up" until it reaches a similar temperature. Try a cold IMU calibration. This typically will reduce warmup times:

1). Place the bird in the coolest spot in the house. And give it sufficient time to cool down to "room temperature". If you have air conditioning, crank that. Some suggest even putting the bird in the fridge. This could introduce a situation where you get condensation on the components so I don't recommend that. However, cooling it in an air conditioned house, or car can avoid the condensation issue. Absent air conditioning, do it at night, when the temperature is lowest. Point is, you want the bird to be as cool as possible.

2). Prepare a perfectly flat location to do the IMU calibration.

3). Immediately after turning on the bird, begin the IMU calibration ASAP. Know where in the pilot app this feature is begun, and start it immediately after powering up the bird. Any delay allows the bird to warm up, thus extending your possible subsequent warmup times.

Cold, or "colder" IMU calibrations typically addresses excessive warm-up times.

EDIT: Snooze beat me to it
Lol yeh and with less words ;)

Warming-up time is highly ambient temperature dependent.

I had that same experience, a long waiting time up to over one minute.
So I did the cold calibration trick as described above.
The early results were disappointed. Warm-up time was shorter but not that much.
After that I did not calibrate any more.

But now in mid summer with outside temperature reaches to 24C or even more the waiting time is very short. Sometimes even to zero seconds.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31