Everything works, except camera screen shows a spinner

Thank you for your input, joebreed74. I'm hoping for a loose cable or oxidized connections when I open her up. Not sure if I'm qualified to assess the status of the wi-fi module on my own.

Out of curiosity, was the unit that you replaced the same one that took a two hour dip in a lake? Mine has not done that - been real close though.

Tripnman, let us know what you find from you inspection and cable checks. Thanks

Has anyone solved this issue yet?

Same story with my drone. Sat in the protective case since June. When I packed it away it worked fine now I get the blank screen with the spinner. Also I cannot access the SD through the PC. Everything else works fine including the data about battery strength, number of satellites etc etc.

Please help

Hi all,

I've chugged through the forum (and the rest of the 'net) looking for this one -- I'm hoping I've just missed it and that somebody can quickly point me in the right direction.

I haven't flown the 'copter since last fall and fired it up for the first time yesterday. All is good, except the screen that shows the live view from the camera just shows a spinner (indicating that it's trying to connect). Things I've tried:

- All sequences of starting the various devices
- Upgraded the firmware in all the devices
- Relinking the copter to the range-extender
- Incantations and offerings to various gods

I feel like I'm missing something really basic. I suppose it's possible that a component has failed, but it was working last fall when I put it away and now it doesn't.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I just posted this potential solution; maybe it will work for you:
No live view on screen | DJI Phantom Forum

I had the same issue with spinning wheel on phone and no live feed.
Solution that worked for me ....

I first formatted the 32 GB micro SD card using the cameras app but this did not resolve the no FPV issue so I did a "Full Format" (not a "Quick format") of the memory card using my PC ... this worked.

I have since rebooted the craft from complete shutdown several times now, recorded some short video, restarted several times again and repeated recording and the live feed is still working!

Hope this works for someone else !
Not saying this is a fix that will work for everyone's situation but it's a cheap try

. :) EDIT: I'm also confused as to why commands to the aircraft from the app work, along with the telemetry, if the wi-fi module is bad. Wouldn't that preclude me from getting a connection at all to the bird's network?

Problem with digital signal is that it needs to be compiled before its displayed whereas analogue can still display even if its real bad. If the module is dying, it can still pump out data but at small rate, hence the telemetry. Problem is that amount of data being sent is NOT enough to compile an image/video fast enough. Its the same as your Digital TV at home when you get a bad signal - you still get the channel data but no display. This is why dropping to the lowest 320*240@15fps resolution works for some.

I had the same issue with spinning wheel on phone and no live feed.
Solution that worked for me ....

I first formatted the 32 GB micro SD card using the cameras app but this did not resolve the no FPV issue so I did a "Full Format" (not a "Quick format") of the memory card using my PC ... this worked.

I have since rebooted the craft from complete shutdown several times now, recorded some short video, restarted several times again and repeated recording and the live feed is still working!

Hope this works for someone else !
Not saying this is a fix that will work for everyone's situation but it's a cheap try
I can't thank you enough for this fix.My video feed started to act up a couple of months ago and progressively got worse.
Yesterday it quit and everything I tried wouldn't work.I tried the different turn on sequences and last night took the top shell off and re-seated all the cables to the wifi module.
When I read your tip I removed the sd card from the camera and the video feed started working again.
I formatted the card in my pc (fat32) full format,put card back in camera
and video to phone is still working.
I don't know why you thought of formatting the sd card but am glad you did!
I wonder how many wifi modules were needlessly replaced?
Thanks again!

I can't thank you enough for this fix.My video feed started to act up a couple of months ago and progressively got worse.
Yesterday it quit and everything I tried wouldn't work.I tried the different turn on sequences and last night took the top shell off and re-seated all the cables to the wifi module.
When I read your tip I removed the sd card from the camera and the video feed started working again.
I formatted the card in my pc (fat32) full format,put card back in camera
and video to phone is still working.
I don't know why you thought of formatting the sd card but am glad you did!
I wonder how many wifi modules were needlessly replaced?
Thanks again!
The original poster gets the thx but I can't rember if the idea was posted on this forum or some other and i don't remember their name but glad it worked for you!

Well looks like the problem is back.
I was flying it today and video feed stopped working. I took the SD card out and still couldn't get any video.
I took the battery out and cooled the Wi-Fi module with some compressed air and it started working again.
I'm thinking of adding some cooling holes to the Wi-Fi module cover but wonder if that will cause another problem with interference.

What a pain in the a** !

Video feed trouble shooting
Please try the following steps:
• Ensure you have upgraded all DJI products to their latest firmware. Check updated, plus the camera firmware
• Ensure you are connected to the wifi phantom-xxxx SID
. Check bluetooth be sure it is off
• Ensure your phone has been updated to the latest software.
• Ensure you have closed all other multi-tasking applications.
• Check the free space on your mobile device, it is recommend having at least 3GB available, less storage could be causing an issue.
• Try deleting the app from your phone and downloading it again.
Try reformatting the SD card with full format.
• Reduce the preview framerate from 30 fps to 15 fps in the Settings of the DJI Vision app.
Check your wifi battery level.
Check the three leads going to the gimbal to be sure they are tight. Check each one closely for any pins that may have pulled up and loose.
If the above don't get it then the only remaining check is the video feed plug on the wifi transmitter under the shell.
If that's ok then it's most likely a damaged or burnt out wifi transmitter if you still see the SID.

Well looks like the problem is back.
I was flying it today and video feed stopped working. I took the SD card out and still couldn't get any video.
I took the battery out and cooled the Wi-Fi module with some compressed air and it started working again.
I'm thinking of adding some cooling holes to the Wi-Fi module cover but wonder if that will cause another problem with interference.

What a pain in the a** !
Ya my live feed stopped working again the other day after the format SD card sol'n actually worked for some time. I had decided to re-format the SD card again (as preventative measure) and when i put it back in the bird the live feed was gone! So what worked before to fix the live feed this time ended the live feed - go figure?!
Will try the cooling trick but doubt it will work. Am going to check the amount of free memory on my iPhone.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl