Everyone should have a gimbal guard.

I've avoided gimbal guards because they seem to create as much trouble as they save - certainly they can be helpful in some circumstances but YMMV. They clearly are no panacea.
I am in the camp that gimbal guards are detrimental to the drone as well.

Adding a gimbal guard is like welding chrome-molly pipe inside the fenders of your car. Hey! Its stronger now! Tell that to your best friend after his face slams into your windshield. Or his widow.

By welding the pipe in the fender, you circumvent the crumple zones that are designed to slow the impact and spread it out over time lessening the energy transferred to the occupants. A gimbal guard does the same thing. It stiffens the legs to make them more rigid. This transfers more impact energy to the shell, electronics, mechanicals and gimbal instead of the legs flexing and acting like a shock absorber.

Are there times when the guard helps? Sure. But day in day out the additional pounding from landings and the lack of flex during a dramatic impact could actually increase damage or chance for damage.

Reactions: Numone and flpholt
Look at some recent posts. It doesn't have metal, but it is conductive. The compass is a very sensitive device.
Carbon fiber is conductive but not magnetic. It has no affect on compass functionality v

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

A forum friend in Florida, 3D printed me a nice red gimbal gaurd, and even printed like engraving, my phone number right into the plastic. I like it... Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: flpholt
remember you are dealing with a company in china not us so they have different rules
That doesn't matter. If they want to sell in the US, they have to follow US law. If I sue them and they don't pay the judge will seize assets or block US sales.

Do you think foreign companies get to make their own rules in the US? Why would that airbag company issue a recall that would bankrupt them? Why did honda get in trouble for cheating on emissions tests? Companies don't get to shirk laws just because they are foreign.

That doesn't matter. If they want to sell in the US, they have to follow US law. If I sue them and they don't pay the judge will seize assets or block US sales.

Do you think foreign companies get to make their own rules in the US? Why would that airbag company issue a recall that would bankrupt them? Why did honda get in trouble for cheating on emissions tests? Companies don't get to shirk laws just because they are foreign.
there was one guy on here last week that sued dji they didn't even show up which tells you they really dont care about little things

yep should take off before sending in all we are saying is dji can void your warranty if they chose to from adding 3rd party add ons had a dodge ram 4x4 lifted it took it back to dodge and was told I voided warranty for lifting it same thing dji has the option not to warranty if you modified bird or rc in anyway which is most of us lol

You got taken. They said the same thing to me with regard to my cold air intake. I pointed out the law to them and got the repairs I needed. They can't just arbitrarily void warranties. FROM THE FTC:
Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?
No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

there was one guy on here last week that sued dji they didn't even show up which tells you they really dont care about little things
That's great for him, that's the way it usually works when you sue a big company. He gets a default judgement, which I guarantee he will get paid for if he follows through.

Reactions: R0B
That's great for him, that's the way it usually works when you sue a big company. He gets a default judgement, which I guarantee he will get paid for if he follows through.
Was going to say if you don't appear it is worse. It's like offering no defense. You are probably right they don't care as it was likely not worth the cost of sending a rep.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: R0B
Oh I don't worry. So I do I do... Hahaha

RedHotPoker

doesn't matter if it isn't a dji part then its a third party part which voids warranty if they chose to decline cause you put it on
How would they know? If you had to send for repair you just take it off. And if the crash is bad enough to need repair, then warranty may be off the table anyway- unless it was equipment failure. And again, you just take it off...

I don't know if propellers guards violate or not warranty, I only know that propellers are like blades and can cut anything and anyone. So to avoid to pay damages, I prefer avoid contacts with things or persons if I can and propellers guard are useful. I own a Phantom 2 Vision Plus 3.0, a Phantom 3 Advanced and a Phantom 4 and when I fear a possible contact, I use propellers guard on them.

Yesterday, being foolish crashed into the side of my house. Polar pro gimbal guard absolutely saved my camera, and the only damage was a few props, and scuff marks.

I can't agree more. I bought propguards and a gimbal guard and they have saved my skin. i have had zero problems with the gimbal guard - there is NO metal in carbon fiber and they are held on by little wire-ties. My biggest concern was that the gimbal guard might interfere with the photography-- but that never happened. The propguards are snap-on type. They increase the drag somewhat which costs some speed but switching to carbon fiber props fixed that problem. Propguards do interfere with the photos at times - especially in fast forward flight or strong crosswinds. To counter that, I developed a procedure where I fly a little too far into the shooting location, then I fly backwards a bit to take the photos. That gets the props and propguards out of the way. Naturally, I also tilt the gimbal down whenever I can. Tip: If you do get propguards, be extremely careful about the screws that you use to mount the brackets. The mounting kit will provide the proper longer screws, but if you ever change back, be sure to use your original (stock) screws. Again, these are snap-on/off propguards so I can not envision a need to ever remove their mounts.

Dji is like apple with bad service. They do things like putting the gimbal inside, that way if things go wrong, you have to send it to them for repair rather than fixing it yourself.

Or you can just buy the camera gimbal accessory and fix it yourself. 300. Totally innacurate

IMHO, propguards and gimbal guards should come with the aircraft.

No they should not. I used them on my Hubsan $30... That I fly primarily inside and around the house for fun. I won't use them on my Phantom they are sails in the wind... Folks that want them can buy them and fly them as much as they like.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31