Everyone should have a gimbal guard.

Reaction score
Yesterday, being foolish crashed into the side of my house. Polar pro gimbal guard absolutely saved my camera, and the only damage was a few props, and scuff marks.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Reed L
gimbal guard voids warranty

How did it save your camera? Did the bird come down on something that would have gone between the landing gears? Just curious, thanks.

No unauthorized disassembling, modification or installation has been performed /key word modification adding anything voids warranty

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
How did it save your camera? Did the bird come down on something that would have gone between the landing gears? Just curious, thanks.
It would have hit the bottom of the roofing. Then possibly hit the ground hard.

This gimbal guard pops in and out.

doesn't matter if it isn't a dji part then its a third party part which voids warranty if they chose to decline cause you put it on

Reactions: CafeRacer
you dont think dji rep see thread post

I just don't see how a gimbal guard voids a warranty. I could understand a gimbal saver It's like saying if you put your own stickers on your bird, that it voids the warranty

its just in dji warranty info any third party parts voids warranty yeah kinda stupid but they can deny warranty if they find out will they or wont they hard to say

I think it's time to explore other options. Maybe Autel is next up for me.

you know I will get another one soon as they get out a new model

No unauthorized disassembling, modification or installation has been performed /key word modification adding anything voids warranty
Actually I think the key word is unauthorized. Just get written permission from a DJI rep to install a gimbal guard. I have a gimbal guard on my P3 to strengthen the legs so I can have the extra rigidity when grabbing it by the leg. I think they are more worried about damage from unauthorized modification

way dji has treated some people lately would not even mention it on bird

Reactions: Lefty63
As soon they get a 360degree camera, and slightly better distance, I'm on board.

Dji is like apple with bad service. They do things like putting the gimbal inside, that way if things go wrong, you have to send it to them for repair rather than fixing it yourself.

Look around. Gimbal guards have been associated with compass abnormalities (carbon fiber version), camera problems and other sorts of issues. DJI is well within it's rights to void a warranty on any modded product. That said, they can't possibly know unless you send them a picture or glue the thing on there.

I've avoided gimbal guards because they seem to create as much trouble as they save - certainly they can be helpful in some circumstances but YMMV. They clearly are no panacea.

My birds are fairly heavily modded (lights, antennas, trackers, air flow covers taped over). Yep, DJI might void a warranty claim but I will take that risk. What I won't do is mod a brand new bird. I will run it around for a while in stock configuration to make sure it is a keeper, then mess with it. Right now I'm looking for a used P3P to do some more radical stuff to (camera mods). I certainly don't expect DJI to warrant any of that.

And Apple has been pretty good about this sort of thing. They repaired my out of warranty motherboard on a 2011 17 inch MBP when it failed after three years despite replacing the superdrive with another hard drive, replacing the hard drive with an SSD and stuffing more than the stock amount of memory in it.

Do not taunt happy fun ball.

Look around. Gimbal guards have been associated with compass abnormalities (carbon fiber version), camera problems and other sorts of issues. DJI is well within it's rights to void a warranty on any modded product. That said, they can't possibly know unless you send them a picture or glue the thing on there.

I've avoided gimbal guards because they seem to create as much trouble as they save - certainly they can be helpful in some circumstances but YMMV. They clearly are no panacea.

My birds are fairly heavily modded (lights, antennas, trackers, air flow covers taped over). Yep, DJI might void a warranty claim but I will take that risk. What I won't do is mod a brand new bird. I will run it around for a while in stock configuration to make sure it is a keeper, then mess with it. Right now I'm looking for a used P3P to do some more radical stuff to (camera mods). I certainly don't expect DJI to warrant any of that.

And Apple has been pretty good about this sort of thing. They repaired my out of warranty motherboard on a 2011 17 inch MBP when it failed after three years despite replacing the superdrive with another hard drive, replacing the hard drive with an SSD and stuffing more than the stock amount of memory in it.

Do not taunt happy fun ball.

How does the carbon fiber gimbal guard effect the compass calibration? there is no metal within the guard

Reactions: GunnyPapa

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1