Everyone should have a gimbal guard.

I just don't see how a gimbal guard voids a warranty. I could understand a gimbal saver It's like saying if you put your own stickers on your bird, that it voids the warranty

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
It can block the VPS and this info will be recorded in the data log on the drone so they will know. This has been gone over in other posts and DJI has made it very clear. The choice is to remove the gimbal guard or turn off the VPS.

Reactions: flpholt
How does the carbon fiber gimbal guard effect the compass calibration? there is no metal within the guard
Look at some recent posts. It doesn't have metal, but it is conductive. The compass is a very sensitive device.

Reactions: flpholt
Look at some recent posts. It doesn't have metal, but it is conductive. The compass is a very sensitive device.
I have had cf guard since day one, a year ago. Have calibrated compass once, never have had any compass errors or vps issues as the guard is well designed not to be in line of vps. As far as cf being conductive, yes it conducts electricity pretty well, but why is that a concern to the compass? C.f. Has excellent electromagnetic interference shielding property though.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: GunnyPapa
? C.f. Has excellent electromagnetic interference shielding property though.

Exactly, which is why it will have an influence on the magnetometer. You're partially shielding it from the magnetic field its trying to measure.

Using a gimbal guard will not void your warranty.

its just in dji warranty info any third party parts voids warranty yeah kinda stupid but they can deny warranty if they find out will they or wont they hard to say

By your logic, applying ID letters or writing your phone number on it, would also void warranty.

Look around. Gimbal guards have been associated with compass abnormalities (carbon fiber version), camera problems and other sorts of issues. DJI is well within it's rights to void a warranty on any modded product. That said, they can't possibly know unless you send them a picture or glue the thing on there.

I've avoided gimbal guards because they seem to create as much trouble as they save - certainly they can be helpful in some circumstances but YMMV. They clearly are no panacea.

My birds are fairly heavily modded (lights, antennas, trackers, air flow covers taped over). Yep, DJI might void a warranty claim but I will take that risk. What I won't do is mod a brand new bird. I will run it around for a while in stock configuration to make sure it is a keeper, then mess with it. Right now I'm looking for a used P3P to do some more radical stuff to (camera mods). I certainly don't expect DJI to warrant any of that.

And Apple has been pretty good about this sort of thing. They repaired my out of warranty motherboard on a 2011 17 inch MBP when it failed after three years despite replacing the superdrive with another hard drive, replacing the hard drive with an SSD and stuffing more than the stock amount of memory in it.

Do not taunt happy fun ball.
The magnuson-moss warranty act doesn't allow a manufacturer to summarily void any warranty because of modifications to the product. They must prove that the modification caused the damage. Even then, the remainder of the warranty is valid. The law was passed because car manufacturers trying to gain monopoly over the parts market by forbidding customers from using aftermarket parts by voiding the warranty.

Caveat being you'd probably have to take DJI to small claims court to prevail.

remember you are dealing with a company in china not us so they have different rules

I highly doubt any Dji rep is reading theses posts

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
there is one that is back on here now so yes they due see them

gimbal guard voids warranty
Really... Funny thing. My gimbal guard was on my P3p. I sent in my bird, which was out of warranty by the way, for one... one small hairline crack. I could not get the metal bracket off because one of the screws stripped. I was certain that I would be paying for the service anyway so I didn't really care. Shipped it and waited for the bill. NOPE! Shell was repaired free of charge. As I stated in another post, they tested it and then replaced a motor for free. I'm with everyone else DJI has a ways to go on customer service but my experience was outstanding. I guess I'm the only one.

Last edited:
Really... Funny thing. My gimbal guard was on my P3p. I sent in my bird, which was out of warranty by the way, for one... one small hairline crack. I could not get the metal bracket off because one of the screws stripped. I was certain that I would be paying for the service anyway so I didn't really care. Shipped it and waited for the bill. NOPE! Shell was repaired free of charge. As I stated in another post, they tested it and then replaced a motor for free. I'm with everyone else DJI has a ways to go on customer service but my experience was outstanding. I guess I'm the only one.
gimbal guards dont screw on I think your talking about prop guards

remember you are dealing with a company in china not us so they have different rules
I doubt it voids the warranty. I left gimbal guard on. If you are talking about the camera guard... take it off. Again, I doubt it voids the warranty. I dont use the camera guard because I dont want the bird to tip over if I do have to land it which is rare because I hand catch.

gimbal guards dont screw on I think your talking about prop guards
I'm talking about the gimbal guard that screws on after you take the stock backing off the back of the camera. If you are talking about the camera guard that attaches between the landing legs ... ummmmmm... take it off before you send it in. Still, I doubt either voids the warranty.

this is a gimbal guard
upload_2016-6-27_14-45-31.png

if you read dji warranty info any third party add ons that aren't dji voids warranty if they chose they can void cause of what you added

Ok... So, take of the gimbal guard before you send it in. Done deal.

I guess I have been talking about a gimbal protector... Either way take it off before you send it in. In my case the Gimbal protector would not come off. I sent in the bird with the protector in place.. they fixed it without even so much as a mention. They even left the killer RC sticker on it. Just sayin

yep should take off before sending in all we are saying is dji can void your warranty if they chose to from adding 3rd party add ons had a dodge ram 4x4 lifted it took it back to dodge and was told I voided warranty for lifting it same thing dji has the option not to warranty if you modified bird or rc in anyway which is most of us lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl