Ever use black tape to cover your lights?

I put black tape over the LEDs that I can't turn off, including the battery. This meant I could fly at night in the city incognito. It worked well, the bird was almost invisible.

Anyone else do that?
I have done it on the front light's, to keep the glare off the camera. Have an older P1, with a gopro.

The opposite would be nice: To have two proper spot lights instead of the red leds. Good to spot poachers on our property.

Guy in adjacent neighborhood said he'd shoot it down. It's not like I was buzzing his house either.

I barely fly around my house, but when I do I stay high and over green spaces.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

We hear many stories and reports like that, people threaten to shoot down or otherwise disable and destroy UAVs.

Some interesting stuff for you to read:

http://gizmodo.com/is-it-ok-to-shoot-down-your-neighbors-drone-1718055028

And another favorite:

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

Bottom line, you have to follow the rules of a landowner or face trespassing charges, but on public land you are golden.

If you need to be sneaking around in the dark (or in the day for that matter) obvious question is are you flying somewhere you shouldnt be?

Yeah sure- the video downlink and map are all you need when all is good, loose connection and good luck finding your aircraft. More importantly anyone it is likely to cause injury to will have no chance of seeing it before it may be too late. Other aircraft included.

Not worth the risk for a bit of fun.... just my opinion.
Agreed. There are those who seek their thrills at other's expense. There's are reasons we are always having new limitations placed on our flying .. the selfish, thoughtless behaviors of others. Some fool just flew his P3 into the Empire State Building. Regulations will continue to limit our experience because fools will continue to fly. If we don't police our community now the police will do it.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with these judgmental comments. There is no requirement that a P3 or any RC have or display navigation lights. At times stealth is prudent & warranted simply for the sake of not drawing unnecessary attention to yourself. I don't walk around with a Glock openly strapped to my side either. It doesn't mean you are behaving nefariously or with ill-intentions. With FPV & full telemetry/mapping you don't require lights to safely fly a Phantom.

Agreed. There are those who seek their thrills at other's expense. There's are reasons we are always having new limitations placed on our flying .. the selfish, thoughtless behaviors of others. Some fool just flew his P3 into the Empire State Building. Regulations will continue to limit our experience because fools will continue to fly. If we don't police our community now the police will do it.

Jeez guys. I'm sure everyone here flys under 400, within LOS, and only over places with preapproved permission. Get real.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

YES I DO! I am not putting my pilot's certificate and 333 in jeopardy for anybody for any reason.

I've read Peter Sach's comments in several articles about drones flying into a fireworks show. One thing I'm unclear on is this: By what authority does any city/county/state establish a temporary 'safety zone' - one that keeps the ground clear, but also private airplanes and drones away? In Peter's own blog ('State and local government drone law' section) he plainly states the fact that the FAA is the sole authority in the skies. I'm not asking this to be a smart *** - I'm genuinely interested.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with these judgmental comments. There is no requirement that a P3 or any RC have or display navigation lights. At times stealth is prudent & warranted simply for the sake of not drawing unnecessary attention to yourself. I don't walk around with a Glock openly strapped to my side either. It doesn't mean you are behaving nefariously or with ill-intentions. With FPV & full telemetry/mapping you don't require lights to safely fly a Phantom.
Describe a situation where stealth is prudent and 'warranted' for the sake of not drawing attention to yourself.

When I don't want to attract unnecessary attention from paranoid people. All the comments & misconceptions you read from people regarding drones. Was this a serious question?

Reactions: Ed209
I've read Peter Sach's comments in several articles about drones flying into a fireworks show. One thing I'm unclear on is this: By what authority does any city/county/state establish a temporary 'safety zone' - one that keeps the ground clear, but also private airplanes and drones away? In Peter's own blog ('State and local government drone law' section) he plainly states the fact that the FAA is the sole authority in the skies. I'm not asking this to be a smart *** - I'm genuinely interested.
NFPA 1123: Code for Fireworks Display

Fireworks display companies apply for and coordinate pre show and at showtime with the faa for tnz and the window of time the display will need so that air traffic can be routed accordingly.

When I don't want to attract unnecessary attention from paranoid people. All the comments & misconceptions you read from people regarding drones. Was this a serious question?
Yes it was a serious question. Are you actually being serious? You're approach and actions are willfully unsafe and in total disregard for safety of human and property wellbeing. Furthermore, drones can be heard even if they can't be seen. Do you think making your drone stealth will foster a positive attitude from the paranoid public when they hear 'something' overhead but they can't see it? Do you think local LE will be happy with you and give you much positive consideration when you are eventually called into question by such stealth actions, especially if it's in conjunction with an accident? Actually any mishap at that point is not an accident. You'll be deemed wilfully breaching safe practice in flight and be hung out to dry. It's laughable that you consider fpv and a map in an app the basis for your stealth flight being safe. I would request for the hobby sake and the rest of us trying to at least be as safe as possible during night flying that you do not black out your orientation lights completely. No matter what you feel or how many times you do it successfully, ask yourself if you had a safe flight or a lucky one, and be honest. Operating in that unsafe way will hurt us all in the end. Please err on the side of caution, not just because you can't be bothered with nuisance public. That's not for anyone's own good.

Reactions: luv2fly
I prefer to fly with as many lights turned on as my drone can carry. Drives the farmers crazy as in "look ma, one of 'dose UFO things is over Bessie in the back pasture"! (Now if I can just figure a way to string a LONG extension cord ..........) LOL !

We hear many stories and reports like that, people threaten to shoot down or otherwise disable and destroy UAVs.

Some interesting stuff for you to read:

http://gizmodo.com/is-it-ok-to-shoot-down-your-neighbors-drone-1718055028

And another favorite:

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

Bottom line, you have to follow the rules of a landowner or face trespassing charges, but on public land you are golden.

I think you may have misread that article. He said in the article, if you are "on" his property. True! But not flying overhead. Read it again and if you feel I'm wrong, please let me know. Thanks.

There are no requirements that an RC be equipped with navigation lights. Hearing a quad from a few hundred feet away when you are outside in relative quiet isn't exactly the same as being able to clearly spot it from 5+ miles or more indoors or out regardless of ambient noise. Should I find a situation where I choose to douse the lights for clandestine flight I wouldn't be flying any higher, nor in any area, where I wouldn't fly in broad daylight. As a white Phantom & its lights are pretty much invisible in bright sunlight against a bright sky beyond a few hundred meters could you point out exactly how this is an "unsafe" practice.

Yes it was a serious question. Are you actually being serious? You're approach and actions are willfully unsafe and in total disregard for safety of human and property wellbeing. Furthermore, drones can be heard even if they can't be seen. Do you think making your drone stealth will foster a positive attitude from the paranoid public when they hear 'something' overhead but they can't see it? Do you think local LE will be happy with you and give you much positive consideration when you are eventually called into question by such stealth actions, especially if it's in conjunction with an accident? Actually any mishap at that point is not an accident. You'll be deemed wilfully breaching safe practice in flight and be hung out to dry. It's laughable that you consider fpv and a map in an app the basis for your stealth flight being safe. I would request for the hobby sake and the rest of us trying to at least be as safe as possible during night flying that you do not black out your orientation lights completely. No matter what you feel or how many times you do it successfully, ask yourself if you had a safe flight or a lucky one, and be honest. Operating in that unsafe way will hurt us all in the end. Please err on the side of caution, not just because you can't be bothered with nuisance public. That's not for anyone's own good.

I thought briefly about blacking out my lights, but in the end I didn't do it for three reasons:
1. Safety - if my drone is going down I want to make sure that anyone that happens to be on the ground has the best chance possible of avoiding a collision.
2. Defense - God forbid anyone should ever get hurt by my drone, the absolute last thing I would want or need is for there to be black tape over the running lights.
3. Perception - People are already paranoid about drones. Blacking them out isn't going to instill a great amount of confidence, lol.

Good thread!

NFPA 1123: Code for Fireworks Display

Fireworks display companies apply for and coordinate pre show and at showtime with the faa for tnz and the window of time the display will need so that air traffic can be routed accordingly.

I went to your NFPA 1123 website and have not found one thing referring to the FAA. Did you make that up, or did I miss it? If I missed it, please send me the link to the page it can be found. Thanks.

Reactions: LSZ1318
I went to your NFPA 1123 website and have not found one thing referring to the FAA. Did you make that up, or did I miss it? If I missed it, please send me the link to the page it can be found. Thanks.

Curious about that as well. I could see how the company would contact the FAA to let them know but can't find any real requirement or anything. On another note, fireworks near our place attract a pretty large number of small planes - some of which seem to be flying well below 1000' level. What's the regulations on that? Even if they are all flying at the required height, it seems as though that many small planes all circling around a fireworks display would be serious hazard, haha.

Did I make up 1123? No, lol. The question was asked about how safety zones are established. The guidelines put forth in 1123 are followed. As far as the faa, fireworks companies submit a letter for approval to the FAA, stating the time and duration of the display and max shell size, among other things.

Reactions: LSZ1318
I put black tape over the LEDs that I can't turn off, including the battery. This meant I could fly at night in the city incognito. It worked well, the bird was almost invisible.

Anyone else do that?

I am not going to debate the correctness or not of masking your lights. However, as an electrician, I would recommend AGAINST black tape. It will leave an almost UNREMOVABLE residue. If you feel that you must tape off your lights, I would recommend a dark colored PHASE TAPE. This is the exact same electrical tape, except it is colored in order to color-code wires, and for SOME reason, does not have the black adhesive residue. We use it to tape things together that we don't want any black residue left after removing the tape.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20