Ever use black tape to cover your lights?

I put black tape over the LEDs that I can't turn off, including the battery. This meant I could fly at night in the city incognito. It worked well, the bird was almost invisible.

Anyone else do that?
That is quite a bad idea in my opinion. The lights are used as indicator, and also helps you to orientate your bird. And there is a reason why you can't turn it off. So I don't really suggest anyone doing that.

-Eric

Reactions: andy238
Considered it after a friend a couple blocks away saw mine fly away the other direction over farmland during my only night flight.

I turned off the front LEDs but I could still see it a looooong way off. Like, almost 1.5 miles away. Guess conforming with LOS guidelines is easier at night...

That is quite a bad idea in my opinion. The lights are used as indicator, and also helps you to orientate your bird. And there is a reason why you can't turn it off. So I don't really suggest anyone doing that.

-Eric
I know what the lights are for, but people get annoyed and this makes it invisible to them.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you need to be sneaking around in the dark (or in the day for that matter) obvious question is are you flying somewhere you shouldnt be?

Yeah sure- the video downlink and map are all you need when all is good, loose connection and good luck finding your aircraft. More importantly anyone it is likely to cause injury to will have no chance of seeing it before it may be too late. Other aircraft included.

Not worth the risk for a bit of fun.... just my opinion.

None of those are a factor. It's not over people, and you'll hear it before you see it anyway. It's also not high enough for plane interference. What it can do is not worry about someone shooting it down or reporting a disturbance.

Yes I have taped off the lights but now use some wide black velcro bands instead for quickly dousing the lights without messing with tape. I cut them to be just the right length for use. Only need them on the rear for the P3 units since you can shut off the front markers remotely. Comes in very handy for maintaining stealth while covering something like a fireworks display. No one even knows you are there! ;)

I put black tape over the LEDs that I can't turn off, including the battery. This meant I could fly at night in the city incognito. It worked well, the bird was almost invisible.

Anyone else do that?

No one knows, until it crashes into them... Then you will know too.
The meaning of incarceration... Hahaha
When ever I fly after dark, it's in a large open park, away from people, homes and vehicles.

RedHotPoker

Considering the Baltimore fireworks display is launched from a barge in the middle of the harbor, cordoned off to all boat traffic during the event, I'd say that it is well away from people, homes, & property. ;)

No one knows, until it crashes into them... Then you will know too.
The meaning of incarceration... Hahaha
When ever I fly after dark, it's in a large open park, away from people, homes and vehicles.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: m0j0
FYI, I've only done it once, but may do more as more people threaten to harm my equipment.

Guy in adjacent neighborhood said he'd shoot it down. It's not like I was buzzing his house either.

I barely fly around my house, but when I do I stay high and over green spaces.

Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 8.57.45 PM✨ copy.jpg
Thread cleaned.

Used to tape rear ones.. later bought 3d-printed led-guards @gimbal-guard.com but those are not worth ****, so taped again. Later, got rid of rear ones permanently with rubbercoat - front ones still functional via app. When i need to open the body again, i will install small external switch for rear lights and peel the rubbercoating off.

Lights are still visible if you know where to look, light comes out from vent holes when it's dark.

If you have to cover up lights to fly incognito in areas where flying is questionable, you probably shouldn't be flying in those areas. A good example is Baltimore. Despite fireworks being launched from barges in the water, the police have authority and directive to cite those who fly near that area during a show. Thus one would be risking a rather expensive ticket to do so.

Reactions: BigAl07
Dunno to whom that was but.. I dont need to cover anything, i just want to fly by myself, not with my neighbours. I respect my privacy [emoji23]

Reactions: dirtybum

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1