ESC status error problem after upgrading to 1.9.60

I've had two flights so far with two different batteries and the only thing I noticed is that when I go full up on the throttle, there is about a 1 second burst of high RPM but then it cuts way back while holding full up throttle. I never noticed that happening in 1.8.80. As a result, vertical climb rate seems reduced quite a bit from 1.8.80.

Mike

Thanks, I hope you don't have to deal with this. It looks like the ESC seems to randomly fail judging by the sheer number of posts like this one over the past year and a half. I am just hoping DJI covers this under warranty since I did nothing to cause failure.

That being said, I'll probably stick to v1.8 when I get it back because the new GEO stuff looks awfully sketchy to me. Enter a credit card and you can fly certain places? No thanks... I love my phantom, but stuff like that combined with this ESC issue is probably going to make it my last DJI product. I'll just build my own.

Anyone test to see if it's a bogus warning and safely fly through it? Just wondering if it's warning of a real problem or the warning itself is a bug.

Wow, yikes. If a firmware causes this, wow. I'm not going near this update. Sorry and thanks for the heads up.

I was beginning to chalk this up to coincidence and hardware failure. Now there is a third person reporting the same issue on Facebook (not pixelAIR). I'm sure the ESC is shot as the error states since it persists after downgrading.

I just hope this firmware isn't somehow contributing to it since many people, myself included, tend to update and just assume due diligence has been done on DJI's part in terms of testing. It's not like we are running nightly builds or alphas here (or maybe we are?).

I've been trying to think how bad firmware might be able to damage the hardware. The only thing i can think of is that perhaps it could overload something, even temporarily, and damage the chip or motors. I didn't notice anything to indicate any problem, but neither did the other users and here we are. Someone with more knowledge would have a better idea; this is just uninformed speculation.

Obviously it is unclear what the cause is, and perhaps it is just coincidence that at least 3 pilots had totally unrelated ESC failures shortly after upgrade with absolutely no damage to their aircraft in a short time span. Regardless, it looks like the only solution I've seen suggested by DJI or anyone else so far is to send it in for repairs.

I posted earlier on this thread that I noticed a new entry (I have not seen it before) in the status list called 'ESC status'. Maybe the new firmware is interrogating the ESCs on startup and somehow is returning an error status when there is none. Just a thought.... Anyone notice it before ?

Post #9 says downgrading back to 1.8.80 still shows the error. Since I'm now afraid 1.9 can toast your ESC's, I'm grounding mine until this is figured out. I guess I could downgrade now but I'll wait a few days as I'll be busy and probably won't fly it for a few days anyway. Hope this is figured out soon!

Mike

I wanted to mention this again in case anyone else noticed it. I'm wondering if it's placebo and I just didn't notice it before but after the 1.9 update, I can go full throttle and the motors spin up to high speed like they always did but about a second later they cut way back (sounds like 50% throttle) even though I'm still holding the stick all the way up. Seems like 1.9 has a slower ascent rate as a result and it makes me wonder if there's some problem with the firmware controlling the ESC's in 1.9. If so, it's possible that 1.9 could overheat the ESC's and burn them out. Seems highly unlikely but thought I'd give it another mention.

Mike

I posted in another thread that I did the upgrades and 6 batteries. Flew all 6 yesterday, never had any esc errors or any other problems at all.

I have the same error on mine that I have my own thread on[emoji22] mine is slightly different but very similar. After the update it flew fine but I kept getting the main controller error that I couldn't get rid of. But in hindsight I should have just left it alone. I decided to replace the internal sd card from stuff I read on-line that it could be corrupted. So after replacing it and calibrating everything the main controller data message was gone and everything looks fine but when I try to start the motors the esc error message appears and they won't start. I've tried everything like other people have tried. Downgrading or upgrading the firmware doesn't work. It just freezes up and never finishes the update. I thought maybe it had something to do with taking it apart and changing the sd card out but that was all pretty much straight forward, and hearing this from your guys I'm thinking it's probably the firmware...ugh..I'm about ready to smash this thing...since I tore it apart to change the sd card out I'm sure I voided the warranty, and I'm not gonna dump anymore money into this thing. If it's not and easy/cheap fix I'm parting this ***** out and done with this hobby...peace out...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

ESC is probably bad hardware. DJI replaced it for free as long as it's less than a year old. It took a few weeks but it's flying as good as new with the new mainboard and firmware.

I have the same error on mine that I have my own thread on[emoji22] mine is slightly different but very similar. After the update it flew fine but I kept getting the main controller error that I couldn't get rid of. But in hindsight I should have just left it alone. I decided to replace the internal sd card from stuff I read on-line that it could be corrupted. So after replacing it and calibrating everything the main controller data message was gone and everything looks fine but when I try to start the motors the esc error message appears and they won't start. I've tried everything like other people have tried. Downgrading or upgrading the firmware doesn't work. It just freezes up and never finishes the update. I thought maybe it had something to do with taking it apart and changing the sd card out but that was all pretty much straight forward, and hearing this from your guys I'm thinking it's probably the firmware...ugh..I'm about ready to smash this thing...since I tore it apart to change the sd card out I'm sure I voided the warranty, and I'm not gonna dump anymore money into this thing. If it's not and easy/cheap fix I'm parting this ***** out and done with this hobby...peace out...

Well being I took mine apart and replaced the inner sd card they probably won't cover it anyway

I ended up sending mine back to the dealer I bought it from and the result was the following:

"Remark: ESC error cause by M3 motor damage,Left landing gear deformed,Roll-axis support deformed,Roll-axis motor loose.
They have stated that the fault was caused by external force impact and not by the upgrade. They obviously have deemed it to not be a warranty."

I have to admit that it has landed harder than it is supposed to but that was way back in January when I bought it and was getting familiar with it. I find it hard to believe that it has taken it this long to surface. With that said, I had no choice but to accept the finding and repair it at my cost. Here is what was involved in the repair:

Item Quantity Unit Price(AUD) Total Price(AUD)
Phantom 3 left landing gear V2 1 3.00 3.00
Phantom 3 roll-axis bracket 1 10.00 10.00
2003 thick-axis motor_roll 1 14.00 14.00
2312A electric motor (cw) 1 29.00 29.00
Repair Service Charge 2 60.00/H 120.00

I sent it in for repair on 24/06 and am still waiting its return.

I haven't crashed at all or had a hard landing. Everything happened right after the update...this update is ****...I kick myself for updating...everything was perfect before and now I have a brick that I want to smash with a rock right now[emoji35]

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up sending mine back to the dealer I bought it from and the result was the following:

"Remark: ESC error cause by M3 motor damage,Left landing gear deformed,Roll-axis support deformed,Roll-axis motor loose.
They have stated that the fault was caused by external force impact and not by the upgrade. They obviously have deemed it to not be a warranty."

I have to admit that it has landed harder than it is supposed to but that was way back in January when I bought it and was getting familiar with it. I find it hard to believe that it has taken it this long to surface. With that said, I had no choice but to accept the finding and repair it at my cost. Here is what was involved in the repair:

Item Quantity Unit Price(AUD) Total Price(AUD)
Phantom 3 left landing gear V2 1 3.00 3.00
Phantom 3 roll-axis bracket 1 10.00 10.00
2003 thick-axis motor_roll 1 14.00 14.00
2312A electric motor (cw) 1 29.00 29.00
Repair Service Charge 2 60.00/H 120.00

I sent it in for repair on 24/06 and am still waiting its return.

I also posted my experience earlier. Had a minor crash from 5 feet height but the P3A continue to fly well for a dozen more flights. When I noticed a crack on one arm, I took it apart to repair the crack, but once I put the body shell back, I had the ESC error. Sent it to DJI for repair and had to paid the $211 repair bill. That's life :(

Reactions: AeroVisionz
I haven't crashed at all or had a hard landing. Everything happened right after the update...this update is ****...I kick myself for updating...everything was perfect before and now I have a brick that I want to smash with a rock right now[emoji35]
Hope you won't resort to what this guy did to his ;)
In Chinese, you may have to turn on the subtitle translation.

Just hold onto it for now. It seems like a few people are affected by this latest firmware giving them ESC error, I wonder if DJI has any answer for them?

Reactions: AeroVisionz

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20