Editing video on SSD 256gb drive

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying my 1st SSD drive. Amazon has this 256gb drive for about $90.00 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...I3QUGUNEH02FJF&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl). I am hoping that using this drive, editing 4K videos might be less of a pain then what I have been reading here..

I am a software programmer, not much of a hardware guy. Is anyone using SSD drives for their editing? If so, does it make a big difference?

I only use SSDs for editing unless you want to pony up at least 2k for a Pegasus1 or 2. The IOPS throughput on 4k 10bit uncompressed approaches 1 GB/s which is not possible even in RAID 0 on standard hard drives unless you have 5+ 3.5" platters. I would say at the very least buy two in RAID 0 them together. Then have a master archive disk. This is what I do at least. You also need a graphics card with at least 2 (preferably 4 GB) of VRAM. I started with a 650ti when gp4 was released and found I couldn't do any skimming until I upgraded to a GTX970.

I have a lenovo Y50 4k laptop. I use samsung 500gig snd 1TB SSD as backup drives. If you have 4k on the External SSD and try and play them its choppy the USB isn't fast enough to play the 4k from the external. I have to load them onto the internal 256 sSD on the laptop to make it play smoothly

Let me clarify. i am only going to shoot in 4k for 'down the road editing'. I will be converting everything to 1080p. But from what I understand, the quality will be better if I record in 4k and convert to 1080p then it would be if I record in 1080p.

What I was wondering is if I put the GoPro software on the SSD and make sure its working directory is on the SSD (along with any other software I use for video), would this increase my speed in converting and then in working with 1080p video.

It will probably be better, but not necessarily much better.
My desktop has a same size SSD, when rendering the CPU is at 100% but it only uses about 10GB of 16GB RAM.
It can do a couple of minutes of 4K in about 30 minutes if you didn't make many changes, however downsizing to 1080p will increase the time needed by at least 50%

Unless your regular hard drive is terribly slow you wont see any difference in rendering speed. You would be better off getting a large drive for storage. My system has a 256gb ssd and 3TB storage drive. When I render it renders directly to my storage drive. Your cpu and gpu are the main components that will speed things up. If your not running high end components then it is going to take forever. I can render a 15 minute 4K video with multiple filters applied in 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. Many people take twice that long due to sub par system specs.

If you're a software programmer, I'd imagine you've done some performance monitoring of software at some point. Do the same thing when you're converting your videos. If you're in Windows, open up the Task Manager and see what your bottleneck is. If your CPU is fully utilized and the HDD has some slack, then getting an SSD won't help you much.

On a side note, I would recommend getting an SSD regardless of if it will speed up video processing. The increased speed in daily computing is well worth the cost.

do not think about SSD, just get it. Use it for the operating system, and use it for working area/ cache for video software. Only export final movie to std. HDDs. With 8GB and quadcore CPU HDDs are only slow component in the system.
Try to use 256GB and bigger SSD, usually twice speed against smaller SSD of same brand/model - SSD controller use twice memory channels to SSD chips over smaller capacities

The normal bottleneck when rendering is the CPU followed by memory.

The HDD is normally last to cause a slowdown.

If you buy a SSD drive the put your OS on that and then direct program installs to another drive.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic