Upgrading PC for 4K editing

Reaction score
I know there are already a few threads on these forums about 4K video editing, but I have a fairly specific question I'm hoping someone can answer (and may already have done themselves).

I have an i7-2600 3.4GHz desktop PC with 8 GB DDR3 RAM and an nVidia GeoForce 9600 video card, with dual HD monitors. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth upgrading this system to minimum standards for 4K editing using Premiere Pro (CS5.5).

Options I have to upgrade include:

- Upgrade CPU to i7-4790 or similar (about $500)
- Upgrade video card (anything from $300-700)
- Increase RAM to 16GB ($150) - beyond that I need to change motherboard
- Add a 500GB SSD drive ($400)

How much better off would I be to buy a new motherboard that supports DDR4 and invest my limited cash in 32 GB of DDR4 RAM and maybe a mid-range processor upgrade?

What's going to make the most difference and what's going to stop me dead?

I get that my processor is not really up for 4K editing, but I don't really care just now if I have to go and make lunch while the video renders. I get that more RAM will help the editing and real time processing, as will an SSD scratch disk. But what are the real show-stoppers?

Any help appreciated.

Tony

I would do the ram and video card and SSD. ..you should be fine to edit on premiere pro...I have close to your specs and I have no problem you can use CUDA on your video card and that will increase processing

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj