Easiest way to discharge?

Reaction score
How do you guys discharge your batteries the simplest way? It's not possible to leave it on at the ground, it automatically shut down the motors...

Why not just turn the motors back on and let them run?

Per the DJI manual, it says to turn the Phantom on and leave the motors off to discharge the battery. You'll know it's discharged when the battery can no longer be powered on.

I was wondering the same thing. I don't see it in the manual I downloaded.

It's on page 10:

Discharging methods:

Slow: Place battery in Phantom and turn on. Leave on until there is less than 8% of power left or until the battery
can no longer be turned on. See DJI VISION App for battery levels. Motors do not need to be turned on,
reducing wear.

Fast: Fly the Phantom outdoors until there is less than 8% of power left or until the battery can no longer be
turned on.

Thanks. I was looking in the P2 manual. They left this out. I assume it would be the same procedure.

Discharging methods:
Slow: Place battery in Phantom and turn on. Leave on until there is less than 8% of power left or until the battery can no longer be turned on. See DJI VISION App for battery levels. Motors do not need to be turned on, reducing wear.
Fast: Fly the Phantom outdoors until there is less than 8% of power left or until the battery can no longer be turned on.

Can you monitor the battery level with a laptop through the assistant?

A 12V dual filament automotive tail light bulb in a bulb holder with soldered spade lugs... Built several for friends. Light bulbs don't know polarity.

I'd be reluctant to just let it sit on the ground and idle. That WiFi transmitter is prone to overheating. When the bird is moving airflow helps cool it but just sitting on the ground is trouble. I'd vote for flying it around till it runs out of juice.

rbhamilton, the DJI manual says a full discharge is at 8% battery. If you fly it until it auto lands at 15% battery, you'd still have to let it turned on until the battery shuts off at 8%.

rbhamilton said:
I'd be reluctant to just let it sit on the ground and idle. That WiFi transmitter is prone to overheating. When the bird is moving airflow helps cool it but just sitting on the ground is trouble. I'd vote for flying it around till it runs out of juice.
You don't have to have the wifi transmitter on.

MacCool, I think he meant the WiFi module on the bird.

msinger said:
MacCool, I think he meant the WiFi module on the bird.

Ah. Yes. Beg pardon.

Although, theoretically the new versions have a ventilated wifi module cover and better thermal pasting. So I read.

msinger said:
rbhamilton, the DJI manual says a full discharge is at 8% battery. If you fly it until it auto lands at 15% battery, you'd still have to let it turned on until the battery shuts off at 8%.
Can't you land at 15% & then take battery out of phantom. Turn on battery until light go out? Or would that take too long?

Larry L, that should work too. It would surely take longer to drain the battery though.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl