Dyeing Props

Reaction score
Process was relatively pain free. Learned the hard way that the liquid form is easier to work with than the powdered version (less messy).

Overall, very pleased with the outcome.

stG6h1T.jpg

HAHAHA... I thought the topic was about lifespan of props..

I love what you have done to the props.
Do you have a brand of dye that you use and a procedure for future reference?

Mako79 said:

I used Rit. You can find it on Amazon and it's usually readily available at most craft stores for $3-4.

- clean props
- boil water
- pour water into glass baking dish (or anything that won't stain)
- mix in dye concentrate (how much depends on how light/dark you want it and how much water you're using)
- let it sit for 15+ minutes

Voila!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dllAKOuhSk[/youtube]

Thanks. Got it on Amazon. Tons on eBay, too.

I've been looking around but can't find anything close to yours. I'm on a mission now.

Never mind, just found it.

Devil's advocate checking in: does that much heat effect the plastic I wonder. .. sure looks nice!

skeeter said:
Devil's advocate checking in: does that much heat effect the plastic I wonder. .. sure looks nice!
I'm not the first to do this. I followed the advice of others. Based on their experiences and posts, no trouble thus far. *knock on wood* My props still feel solid after. Don't feel more flexible or brittle, just the same as before.

dptcalvin said:
Mako79 said:

I used Rit. You can find it on Amazon and it's usually readily available at most craft stores for $3-4.

- clean props
- boil water
- pour water into glass baking dish (or anything that won't stain)
- mix in dye concentrate (how much depends on how light/dark you want it and how much water you're using)
- let it sit for 15+ minutes

Voila!

Thanks for the instructions..
I'm not sure if I miss read it, but did you use liquid or powder form?
And when you placed the props in the dye, how hot was it? Does the heat affect the dye or the props as I don't want to put my props in hot water.

Thansk

I used powder and liquid. I recommend liquid - it's less messy. If you oversaturate the water with the powder to where the powder is free floating (not mixed), it can cause some uneven dye spots on the props. Liquid is a dollar more, but easier to use. But they both work.

I put a pot of water over the stove and removed it just before the point of boiling. Poured it into the glass baking pan along with the dye, stirred it for about 30 seconds, and dropped the props in.

You can watch the video for some instruction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFif1YXe6CE

How's the balance on the props ?

Based on the advice of others, I chose dye because, in theory, it shouldn't affect balance. I moved my props around while they were submerged in the dye. Randomly moving the props around should promote an even absorption throughout the props.

You can read more about others' experiences here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32318&hilit=painting+props

The video I posted above said 3 minutes, others in the thread say 10 minutes tops. I did mine for about 15 because I wanted mine darker than they were at 3 and 10 minutes.

We used to do this all the time to RC car parts back in the day. It does not affect strength at all. I can't see how the balance would change, but I would definitely check the balance after dying just to be safe. (once they are dry)

I can see this being a business for someone. :)

Did another pair today in "Denim Blue." Didn't think it was possible to like a blue other than "Royal Blue" (the first blue set in the OP), but Denim Blue came out nicely!

Top is Royal, bottom is Denim.

QyN9oOE.jpg

I tried the denim blue last time too. Really like it as well.

Attachments

• Quad.jpg
    Quad.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 1,294
^^^Nice color scheme! Digging the GoPro decal.

dptcalvin said:
^^^Nice color scheme! Digging the GoPro decal.

Thanks. I got it from someone on here.

Wonder if anyone has dyed the body? That might be cool. You would need a big pan. :)

Haven't read of anyone dyeing the body, but people have definitely painted it. I think dyeing would be a better idea, though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic