Dyeing Props

pittsy said:
I had to go out and buy some RIt today after seeing this post.
For the price, I think it's a great way to enhance the aesthetics of the quad. I'm still going dye crazy and experimenting with other colors. :D

dptcalvin said:
pittsy said:
I had to go out and buy some RIt today after seeing this post.
For the price, I think it's a great way to enhance the aesthetics of the quad. I'm still going dye crazy and experimenting with other colors. :D

What are you coming up with as far as colors? Would love to see how some of the colors appear on the props, if you'd care to give us a peek?

I've just been mixing shades of reds (e.g. Scarlett Red and Cherry Red or Denin Blue and Royal Blue, some yellows with yellows, etc.).

I'll try post some pictures some time this week.

I have a spare body here I was going to hydro dip (which I've never done, but see kits for sale), but maybe I'll give it a Rit Bath first and see how it works on the body instead.

GoodnNuff said:
I have a spare body here I was going to hydro dip (which I've never done, but see kits for sale), but maybe I'll give it a Rit Bath first and see how it works on the body instead.
I would love to dye a P2 shell. I have one in my Amazon wish list just for that, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

What color are you thinking for the shell?

dptcalvin said:
GoodnNuff said:
I would love to dye a P2 shell. I have one in my Amazon wish list just for that, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

What color are you thinking for the shell?

I fly in the often grey skies of the Pacific Northwest, so I find that bright orange is a great color, a vibrant red would work too.
Any suggestions?

This is "Tangerine" from RIT:

DSCN0019_zps8a2108e7.jpg

DSCN0020_zpscf0bc6dd.jpg

I got Cherry Red and Navy Blue for that all American look with my white shell. Happy with how they turned out and using the liquid dye was incredibly easy. Looking forward to see if the colors actually stand out when flying.

Definitely not. The dye soaks in, so even when something is scratched, it still shows the color of the dye under the scratch. This has been my experience with props (that are now discarded).

GoodnNuff said:

I am doing that now been hydrographic for past month still not good enuf to do my shell yet .
Watch vids and practice it dose take some skill water has to be the right temp have to have the perfect amount of activator and your angle and speed have to be right . I did notice different kits come with different activator which changes the temperature water and amount applied so stick to one brand . I will probably try dipping the bird next week .

GoodnNuff said:
Nice, I like the tangerine!
Here is a post from someone else that dyed their shell:

louforgiveno said:
Here's some pics of the dye job (blue then black)
and some pics of the painted bird ;) (currently in service)

dptcalvin said:
Hmm, not sure why the pictures aren't showing up. But you can see his post and the pictures in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=539&p=321391&hilit=modified#p309856

Thanks, I saw that yesterday shortly after posting that I would try dying my shell. Looks like it works! I'll see if I can try this next week when I have some free time.

dptcalvin said:
I used Rit. You can find it on Amazon and it's usually readily available at most craft stores for $3-4.

- clean props
- boil water
- pour water into glass baking dish (or anything that won't stain)
- mix in dye concentrate (how much depends on how light/dark you want it and how much water you're using)
- let it sit for 15+ minutes

Voila!

The closest I can get my hands on is a dye for colouring fabrics. It seems a similar thing, except that the instructions state that you must add salt to the mix. I'm a geezer and I dont do cushions or curtains etc, but I believe that those who do, add salt to dye because it helps the dye stick to the fabric.

I see from the instructions above that you did not use salt, but did the instructions for Rit state that you should if dying fabrics ?

Rit is also intended for fabrics. The liquid version of RIT has no mention of salt. But my powdered versions say add salt for cotton or vinegar for nylon, silk, and wool.

Also, I would modify my instructions in 2 ways.

- don't boil the water; remove the water just before the point of boiling
- pull the props out every 2 minutes to check on the color/shade and remove when desired color/shade is achieved

dptcalvin said:
Rit is also intended for fabrics. The liquid version of RIT has no mention of salt. But my powdered versions say add salt for cotton or vinegar for nylon, silk, and wool.

That answers my question about using a mordant (salt or vinegar) to "fix" the dye that I posted on the other thread. Probably not needed for plastic.

Thanks for the replies chaps. No salt for me then.

What color are you doing?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik