Dyeing Props

I tried for Candy Apple Red and this is what I wound up with! My wife likes it :)

4623416_orig.jpg

Just stumbled upon this thread and was wondering if this dying process weakens the prop's in any way? Its a cool idea, just wondered if it affected the plastic.

Nope. If it affected the integrity of the props, I wouldn't have done it.

Used IDye Poly this morning on extra props and landing gear. One piece, the leg with the compass, came out much more shiny than the others though it was all in the pan at the same time.

Otherwise, all looks good.

I have no idea of the effect on the plastic; that's why it was only done on the extra pieces. But the curves still look stock and it "feels" normal.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424119135.194193.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424119135.194193.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 865
Where did you buy the iDye Poly? Having trouble finding it.

dptcalvin said:
Where did you buy the iDye Poly? Having trouble finding it.

Joann fabrics, a chain in the area. Also available on Amazon as an add on item for only 2.39.

I'm going to try and figure out why one part is glossy and the rest matte.

My shot at it. Real happy with the results, just need a bird to put them on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 993
Reactions: dirkclod
Marlin009 said:

Sorry. I have to ask. Why do you have props and no bird? :)

badbrad97 said:
Marlin009 said:

Sorry. I have to ask. Why do you have props and no bird? :)

No problem man. Sent it back to DJI to have incompatible ESC's replaced.

iDye Poly black, plus iDye (non poly) black mixed together for the black props. Took most of the night to get a decent black. Very frustrated at how long it took.
iDye Fire Red, and iDye True red mixed (one seemed too orange, and one seemed too pink, so mixed them, neither were the "poly" version, to do the red props. Probably an hour or so total in the dye - kept pulling them out and checking them, so not sure on exact time.

The prop guards came in the red and black, I didn't dye them.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    837.4 KB · Views: 785
  • IMG_0058a.jpg
    IMG_0058a.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 882
Has anyone actually had a few flights with these? I have a couple questions. First, won't it mess up the prop balance? And second, can the dye stay on through the multiple flights?

Jacob said:
Has anyone actually had a few flights with these? I have a couple questions. First, won't it mess up the prop balance? And second, can the dye stay on through the multiple flights?

Balance, at least on my prop balancer, was not affected. And the dye gets in pretty deep as a scratch still shows black versus going back to white. It's not like a paint that can flake off.

My only concern was that the heat needed would warp the props, but according to some crude before and after measurements, that doesn't seem to be the case either.

I also could not see any weight difference, but I don't have a sensitive scale.

No issues with balance that I can tell, but dye wouldn't really add much weight if any, certainly any weight it added would be so small you'd need some seriously sensitive scales to pick it up.
It does get in deep. I haven't scratched mine, but I've heard enough who have said that it goes in deeper than a scratch can reveal, that I'm pretty sure it's gone well into the plastic.
Definitely much less effect than painting would have. That would definitely scratch, and would definitely add weight and hence possible balance issues.

Got me to wondering about the weight . I knew they had never messed with the balance of the ones I've done so I weighed em .
These are scales I weigh my gold with and have them checked at a Jewelry Shop often and know they are right .

Don't seem like they would but there it is . 12.7 grams

Attachments

• Prop.jpg
    Prop.jpg
    906.9 KB · Views: 786
  • Prop1.jpg
    Prop1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 759
Reactions: ronmcq
Evidently the dye will not penetrate through to the old props but the new, 9450's take the color real good.

Has anyone dyed the older props?

Joeg1937 said:
Evidently the dye will not penetrate through to the old props but the new, 9450's take the color real good.

Has anyone dyed the older props?

If you're referring to the 9443's, yes, I have.

Yes, completely submerse. No effect on the hubs.

Reactions: Brent10

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20