Dual Battery Mod

Well I did a test flight ,no improvment in range. ??? I also flew with my aftermarket battery, so far so go.

Hi Maxwell,

I think you only need 1 antenna on the N3 leg, you have one also
on your N2 leg, is there a reason for that? also tony put a pinwheel
antenna on mine, he said there much better, your thoughts....

thanks, Kevin

I have a after market battery,[ A P3 clone ] and plane to split the pack and do the 2X 2S battery mod.

This may be something worth while ! I would consider doing this also if you guys can make it work !!
How would you charge it though ? Setup the "smart cap" so you could plug it into the pack to charge ??

Off topic slightly, which p3 clone did you get / from where ?
Did you try flying with it before you started disassembly ?
Did it update firmware properly ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi Maxwell,

I think you only need 1 antenna on the N3 leg, you have one also
on your N2 leg, is there a reason for that? also tony put a pinwheel
antenna on mine, he said there much better, your thoughts....

thanks, Kevin
I added 3 antennas. And one is pinwheel. The legs where I have put the antennas are not in order.

This may be something worth while ! I would consider doing this also if you guys can make it work !!
How would you charge it though ? Setup the "smart cap" so you could plug it into the pack to charge ??

Off topic slightly, which p3 clone did you get / from where ?
Did you try flying with it before you started disassembly ?
Did it update firmware properly ?

I am on FW 1.5 and I have not updated any of my batters.
Amazon. Amazon.com: DJI P3 4500mAh Intelligent Battery for Phantom 3 Drones Uav(white)- For Phantom3 Standard/Professional/Advanced: Toys & Games

OK I just did quick test flight . I have the controller A, and the DBS mod, and last night I installed the bird side mod, and I upgraded some of the bird side antennas.
Before I did the bird side mod, I could not get past 4000 ft.[ In my neighborhood ] My first test flight this morning, I was disappointed. I only got 3200 ft and RTH kicked in. So I moved some of my antennas around and I had a good test flight just now. I went 5000 ft.
I could of went further, but it is windy outside. The DBS is a bit directional sensitive. I was only 200 ft up.
That is better then my P2 can do around here.
Cant wait to get out on the beach and see what it can do.

Did test flight itelite boosted 2.4 amps no channel hack 32.500 feet one way.no bird side either..tested V1 Fpvlr antenna got out about 21,000 feet unboosted..

Is there a way to find out the battery firmware version?
And also is there a way to downgrade battery firmware?

EDIT: I suppose both are impossible...

Last edited:
Not directed at anyone in particular..., but has a smart battery been gutted yet and set up so the power and cell connections are available externally? So we get to loose the DJ battery (and the weight) entirely, and select our own desired size. Or, leave the center empty and carry two tandem 2s HV. Well, you get the idea. This P3P is extremely weight sensitive. Sometimes I think we are stuck in a rut with this smart battery since all of our solutions seem to include it. I would like to loose it and just keep what is necessary. I think this might be interesting.

None of mine are old enough to retire, but I will do it anyway :) I'm just curious if anyone has done this yet.

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
First off, this being my first post, let me thank everyone that participates in the forum. The exchange of ideas and the experimentation helps everyone. I have just started in this ( hopefully long term) hobby. My next few comments about battery/runtime are based on experience from other fields that may or may not scale down proportionally to the RC arena. As I have been trying to learn about my new Phantoms (P3S and P3A). I think there are a lot of ideas being taken as fact but I would like clarification. This thread interests me because I would like to gain some run time from my bird without damage to the electrical system or the motors.
I would like to use an analogy for the AC motor to a larger motor, let's say a Tesla, for a little while.
* A few personal definitions;
I like to think of battery volts as potential rotational speed of the wheel.
I like to think of amps as torque to get the wheel up to speed.
Most motor manufacturers wind a motor to achieve either speed or torque or a mild combination of both. A motor wound for speed can achieve high speed on a flat plane but cannot climb a slight incline without stalling and potentially burning up the windings due to increased current. Whereas a motor wound for torque can climb very steep inclines at the cost of speed.
Batteries
Batteries come in a few flavors. Some can generate consistent long-term voltage but at very low current. Others can maintain high a discharge current at the cost of weight.
As I am new to this area I am finding it hard to search for particular posts using the proper vernacular of the hobbyists so please excuse me if this has been covered or is common knowledge.
Has anyone tried running series/parallel battery packs? Where in (2) 7.4v @ 5000mAh packs are in series then paralleled with another two packs? The combined voltage(14.8v @ 1Ah)and weight may result in a slightly lower speed but the available current may greatly increase the run time. Additionally the lower voltage packs are generally able to maintain a higher voltage before draw down.
At this time I have too many vices to be able to dedicate very much time or money to this new hobby but I would like to investigate this further if no one else has.
If I'm way off base please shut me down.

Not directed at anyone in particular..., but has a smart battery been gutted yet and set up so the power and cell connections are available externally? So we get to loose the DJ battery (and the weight) entirely, and select our own desired size. Or, leave the center empty and carry two tandem 2s HV. Well, you get the idea. This P3P is extremely weight sensitive. Sometimes I think we are stuck in a rut with this smart battery since all of our solutions seem to include it. I would like to loose it and just keep what is necessary. I think this might be interesting.

None of mine are old enough to retire, but I will do it anyway :) I'm just curious if anyone has done this yet.
I saw on horizonfpv ' s website that they are selling the p3 smart battery split and modified . It requires sending them 2 p3 smart batteries for the modification plus about 100 dollars plus shipping . Which is kind of expensive but for guys like me that do not have the know how to do the modification, it is a nice option. The results is over 34 minutes of flight time which is amazing !!

I just weighed my non DJI P3 battery, it weighs 351.2 grams. It is rated at 4500mah. 15.2V. I should be able to shed a little weight of this when I split the pack. This a HV battery. I am steel waiting on some more parts, to do this hack.

Anyone with definitive proof the stock battery backups HV or did DJI just use 3.8 as nominal to come up with 15.2v?

They did it with the p2 .. Don't see why it wouldn't work with a p3
3bcc4cf38ed9dc182ce33aa5d298e89f.jpg

I saw on horizonfpv ' s website that they are selling the p3 smart battery split and modified . It requires sending them 2 p3 smart batteries for the modification plus about 100 dollars plus shipping . Which is kind of expensive but for guys like me that do not have the know how to do the modification, it is a nice option. The results is over 34 minutes of flight time which is amazing !!

Any links to the 34 min flight time ?? I'm finding that a bit tough to believe but if it's true I think this is the best battery mod yet !

I just weighed my non DJI P3 battery, it weighs 351.2 grams. It is rated at 4500mah. 15.2V. I should be able to shed a little weight of this when I split the pack. This a HV battery. I am steel waiting on some more parts, to do this hack.
What battery is this?

Any links to the 34 min flight time ?? I'm finding that a bit tough to believe but if it's true I think this is the best battery mod yet !

There was a screen shot of a flight that was over 34 minutes and I can't seem to find it now. I'm going to email them and see I can get them to send me proof of the results .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna