Dropped into swimming pool!!

Reaction score
Flying at a friends house to inspect the roof. Clipped a tree branch as I was finishing up. snapped a prop at dropped into a pool. Looked into pool and the green flashing lights were on as were the red lights. What is the recommendation to dry out?

Flying at a friends house to inspect the roof. Clipped a tree branch as I was finishing up. snapped a prop at dropped into a pool. Looked into pool and the green flashing lights were on as were the red lights. What is the recommendation to dry out?

Also sorry to hear of your 'swimming pool' incident.

I would be initially aware that both Chlorine (strong oxidant) and Bromine (less frequent usage, mainly spas) may be used in swimming pools, with 'salt', (if present in your fiends pool) might add to your woes? The best course of action (please research this first) might be to rinse with lots of fresh [/distilled] water. Camera technicians might have some standard procedures, and advice.

Is anyone aware of any other storage batteries/cells within the Phantom drones that should be quickly removed?

Sadly, the best remedy might involve a small farewell party, with a few bottles of Jim Beam.

I hope that I am wrong..

best wishes...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ansia and Bob62
Do a little searching on this forum for some great answer threads. Like this one: P4P Fresh Water Crash - Recovered Best of luck!

As mentioned above, there's a number of threads discussing R&R (recovery & rehabilitation) of various Phantom models. It was fresh water vs. salt water, so that's a plus. However, the presence of chlorine could be a potential concern. Successful freshwater recoveries are possible. Don't know if this will help but, my Phantom 3 went for a brief swim in a freshwater lake last summer. Was only in the water for a couple of minutes. I removed the battery immediately, drained what water I could from the bird, used canned air to to remove the rest, then packed the empty battery compartment with large desiccant packs and put the bird next to a dehumidifier to dry out for a week. The bird recovered completely with no ill effects. The battery, however, was not so fortunate. It would not accept a fresh charge, eventually discharged completely, and passed away quietly. I suspect there's hope for your situation. Good luck.

Reactions: Ripper7620
I have had since 1-16-18. What happened was, my friend wanted to photograph his roof. When I was done with the photos, my friend said, "how does the return home work"? I was 48" above the roof and I pushed the RTH button. Instantly the drone went straight down! Tried to over ride but it clipped a ridge on the roof and broke a blade sending it into a tree branch and then dropped into a pool! DJI said send it back and if RTH was the cause, the warranty would cover it. I will try that. Camera has water inside the lens and bird is stained from chlorine. Thanks fro the responses.

I have had since 1-16-18. What happened was, my friend wanted to photograph his roof. When I was done with the photos, my friend said, "how does the return home work"? I was 48" above the roof and I pushed the RTH button. Instantly the drone went straight down! Tried to over ride but it clipped a ridge on the roof and broke a blade sending it into a tree branch and then dropped into a pool! DJI said send it back and if RTH was the cause, the warranty would cover it. I will try that. Camera has water inside the lens and bird is stained from chlorine. Thanks fro the responses.

It sounds like you were too close to the Take-off/Home-point when you initiated the RTH.
In so doing it executed a land-at-current-location process which had physical hazards.
No offense, but you are not owed a warranty repair, if DJI chooses to do so all the better for you.

It sounds like you were too close to the Take-off/Home-point when you initiated the RTH.
In so doing it executed a land-at-current-location process.
What he said.

Yep... Return Home is a last resort operation. If the bird is close by, it will just land where it's at. I forgot the distance, I think 30m or something.

Send the drone back to dji with a ticket - see if they will cover it under warranty. (Good chance they will). If not, ask for a repair estimate. I saw where another forum member did this with a smashed drone and they qouted him a price of $250.00. He paid it, and the sent him out a nice refurb drone. It wont cost you a penny to try.

I lost a P4P where the OA failed to recognize fine branches in early spring (no leaves). The drone was in water for 5 minutes before I could recover it. After the drying out process, the electronics for flying the drone recovered. On the other hand, the electronics for the gimbal and camera (much finer circuitry) could not be recovered. DJI gave a rather high quotation for replacing the failed components, but they said that they will not warrant any repairs that resulted from water damage.

It was, IMO, a better bet to buy a new drone (drone ONLY without controller).

Hope your episode has a better ending.

Also sorry to hear of your 'swimming pool' incident.

I would be initially aware that both Chlorine (strong oxidant) and Bromine (less frequent usage, mainly spas) may be used in swimming pools, with 'salt', (if present in your fiends pool) might add to your woes? The best course of action (please research this first) might be to rinse with lots of fresh [/distilled] water. Camera technicians might have some standard procedures, and advice.

Is anyone aware of any other storage batteries/cells within the Phantom drones that should be quickly removed?

Sadly, the best remedy might involve a small farewell party, with a few bottles of Jim Beam.

I hope that I am wrong..

best wishes...
Don't know much about the mechanics, but I work at a company that makes lithium batteries and I do know that they don't like water. Hopefully you may be able to salvage the 'copter, but I'm betting the battery might be a loss. If so, that's still better than a total loss, right? Good luck.

Don't know much about the mechanics, but I work at a company that makes lithium batteries and I do know that they don't like water. Hopefully you may be able to salvage the 'copter, but I'm betting the battery might be a loss. If so, that's still better than a total loss, right? Good luck.

I'm gonna have to disagree with this statement. I am the VP of a model boat club, we run a lot of electric boats. My boat alone is stuffed (crashed) 4-5 times a day. The batteries, motors and speed controls get wet constantly. Speed controls for boats are designed to be waterproof. But the motors and batteries are off the shelf items not designed to get wet. Never had a battery ever go bad or puff and we are running these to the extreme edge for time and speed. I understand that these are smart batteries in the dji birds and the smart circuit is what dies with water intrusion. But to say lithium cell don't like water is wrong. Our cells are submerged for 10-30 min easily.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
I'm gonna have to disagree with this statement. I am the VP of a model boat club, we run a lot of electric boats. My boat alone is stuffed (crashed) 4-5 times a day. The batteries, motors and speed controls get wet constantly. Speed controls for boats are designed to be waterproof. But the motors and batteries are off the shelf items not designed to get wet. Never had a battery ever go bad or puff and we are running these to the extreme edge for time and speed. I understand that these are smart batteries in the dji birds and the smart circuit is what dies with water intrusion. But to say lithium cell don't like water is wrong. Our cells are submerged for 10-30 min easily.
What about shorting across the terminals if the water is conductive?

The LiPo cells are sealed. Pack related electronics would be a different issue.

Saltwater could pose adequate conductivity for some current flow but now where near the level of useage. Aside from the corrosive elements submersion alone should be a non issue.

What about shorting across the terminals if the water is conductive?

Salt water, yes, definitely a problem. That's how some people dispose of lipo's. Discharge them as low as possible, then throw in a bucket of saltwater for a week, then trash. We lost a boat that had no flotation and couldn't find it till next day. 6' water, receiver still powered up when it was brought to surface. Cowl was gone so radio equipment was exposed. Motor, batteries, servo, speed control in fresh water for over 24 hrs, 6' of water with power on and the guy still runs same boat setup, same batteries.
As N017RW said, the batteries are sealed so fresh or salt will not hurt them. What gets killed is any electronics in the pack, mostly from any salt that creates a circuit and shorts it out. Here is a pic of some of my boat batteries. Every one of them has been under water at least a dozen times.

Also for some of you guys that are unsure how to store lipos, store them in the refrigerator.
Balance with a storage charge and they will stay fresh for years. Some of mine haven't been used in 6-7 years and voltage stays at original storage charge. IR is perfect as cold will stop most chemical processes. I'm new to multirotors but been flying heli's for 6 years, cars and boats for 20 years non-stop.

Attachments

• IMG_20180927_145617.jpg
    IMG_20180927_145617.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_20180927_145712.jpg
    IMG_20180927_145712.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 501
  • IMG_20180927_145742.jpg
    IMG_20180927_145742.jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_20180927_145758.jpg
    IMG_20180927_145758.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 447
It might be initially aware that both chlorine and bromine can be used in swimming pools with salt, so you should alternate the water of the pool. After a specific of time if you don't change the water then green algae will see in pool floor.

Swimming pool air pump[url][/url]

Last edited:
Salt water, yes, definitely a problem. That's how some people dispose of lipo's. Discharge them as low as possible, then throw in a bucket of saltwater for a week, then trash. We lost a boat that had no flotation and couldn't find it till next day. 6' water, receiver still powered up when it was brought to surface. Cowl was gone so radio equipment was exposed. Motor, batteries, servo, speed control in fresh water for over 24 hrs, 6' of water with power on and the guy still runs same boat setup, same batteries.
As N017RW said, the batteries are sealed so fresh or salt will not hurt them. What gets killed is any electronics in the pack, mostly from any salt that creates a circuit and shorts it out. Here is a pic of some of my boat batteries. Every one of them has been under water at least a dozen times.

Also for some of you guys that are unsure how to store lipos, store them in the refrigerator.
Balance with a storage charge and they will stay fresh for years. Some of mine haven't been used in 6-7 years and voltage stays at original storage charge. IR is perfect as cold will stop most chemical processes. I'm new to multirotors but been flying heli's for 6 years, cars and boats for 20 years non-stop.

That's good to know. I've never heard of storing them in the fridge but I have at least a dozen or more lipo batteries sitting around waiting for better weather. Guess ill stick em in the spare fridge.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj