Drop pins 2 or 4 what’s better?

Reaction score
My P3P had 2 drop pins installed but when I accidentally flipped it a couple days ago one came out I was lucky to find it today were it flipped! So is there a reason only 2 are installed? Would 4 provide better protection for the camera so it can’t fall off? Or will it cause issues with stability in flight? I see they are for sale cheap all over the net.

My P3P had 2 drop pins installed but when I accidentally flipped it a couple days ago one came out I was lucky to find it today were it flipped! So is there a reason only 2 are installed? Would 4 provide better protection for the camera so it can’t fall off? Or will it cause issues with stability in flight? I see they are for sale cheap all over the net.
Two is all DJI suggest, and all that's needed.
They are only there to keep things together in a crash situation.
i-ZDTpGVL-L.jpg

Two is all DJI suggest, and all that's needed.
They are only there to keep things together in a crash situation.
i-ZDTpGVL-L.jpg

Yea I saw that but the interpretation can be vague since their Chinese. It looks like more than 2 can be used it says if additional are needed but is that if 1 is lost or for better protection from accidents? Has anyone used 4? Does it work? Does it cause issues? Should I use 4 only in certain situations? Or is it a bad idea all together?

Yea I saw that but the interpretation can be vague since their Chinese. It looks like more than 2 can be used it says if additional are needed but is that if 1 is lost or for better protection from accidents? Has anyone used 4? Does it work? Does it cause issues? Should I use 4 only in certain situations? Or is it a bad idea all together?
Using 4 won't do anything any better than using 2.
There is no need to attach 4.

Using 4 won't do anything any better than using 2.
There is no need to attach 4.

Ok I was just wondering because I searched google and came up empty and since one came out leaving the camera hanging by one of I put 4 in it would not have risked the camera dropping off the drone or hanging by the wires.

Ok I was just wondering because I searched google and came up empty and since one came out leaving the camera hanging by one of I put 4 in it would not have risked the camera dropping off the drone or hanging by the wires.
Two is all you need.
That's all that DJI put on everyone's Phantom.
The whole idea is to leave the camera hanging on the 4 dampers to reduce vibration.

As per replies ... DJI recc'ds 2 diagonally .....

Would it be better to have 4 ? I can only think of one time 4 could be better ..... in event of one pin coming out in a hard hit. The single pin left may not stop strain to cable or connectors. Having 4 and one comes out leaves 3 able to possibly prevent strain to ribbon cable or connectors. But in reality ? If the strike is that hard - you are probably looking at camera / gimbal / other damage anyway ...

4 pins also could 'stiffen' gimbal in normal use ?

Nigel

As per replies ... DJI recc'ds 2 diagonally .....

Would it be better to have 4 ? I can only think of one time 4 could be better ..... in event of one pin coming out in a hard hit. The single pin left may not stop strain to cable or connectors. Having 4 and one comes out leaves 3 able to possibly prevent strain to ribbon cable or connectors. But in reality ? If the strike is that hard - you are probably looking at camera / gimbal / other damage anyway ...

4 pins also could 'stiffen' gimbal in normal use ?

Nigel

As I said one came out on me when it flipped when I tried to land it too fast it was a emergency landing while in atti mode and nothing happened to the Gimble I didn’t even notice it missing till the next day, I fortunately found both parts of the pin, so it can come out with a minor crash I posted a video of the crash absolutely nothing happened to the drone becides the popped pin.

You should have two spare pins in the box ..... it is possible top re-use the pins but the locking washer is weak.

You can remove and put back pins - if careful but it means spreading the locking tabs.

Nigel

If you want to eliminate the chance of the gimbal separating from the drone in a crash, then use two pins and loosely attach a plastic zip tie through the other two empty holes.

P3-ZipTie.JPG

Reactions: KentA
Some of the Guys I know do not use Pins at all - they replaced with Zip Ties.

Nigel

Reactions: DroneJI
Some of the Guys I know do not use Pins at all - they replaced with Zip Ties.

Nigel

Never thought of that, but I still can’t find if using 4 will cause any issues all I have gotten was “You only need 2” I’m going to have to experiment with it to see if using 4 causes any issues since I have to replace the Gimble board anyway what harm could it do? The video down link is broken it may become a parts bird if I just buy a working P3P trying to find the part I need has become more work than I expected when I purchased it knowing it needed to be fixed.

If you want to eliminate the chance of the gimbal separating from the drone in a crash, then use two pins and loosely attach a plastic zip tie through the other two empty holes.

View attachment 95462

Yea zip ties or even spider wire would work it’s thin and stronger than steel I have 50lb test I could use that’s as thin as horse hair. I have used it for many repairs it kinda like the duct tape of string,the stuff is dangerously strong I guess it’s synthetic spider silkView attachment 95468]

Last edited:
I still can’t find if using 4 will cause any issues all I have gotten was “You only need 2” I’m going to have to experiment with it to see if using 4 causes any issues since I have to replace the Gimble board anyway what harm could it do?
While using all four pins likely won't prevent the gimbal from separating in a bad crash, some people are using all four pins without any problems. If you notice any jello in your video after installing the other two pins, then just remove them to fix the problem.

I would not use thin wire or leader .... over time the soft gimbal rubber will be cut.

I found that it only takes a bit of a pull and they split in one of the 'folds' ... you only find out when you move them to inspect !

Nigel

Reactions: Oso
It’s not wire it’s just called wire it’s actually synthetic spider silk

Still very thin ..... that rubber is very soft and does not take much to split .. I split one replacing a broken one before ..

Nigel

Reactions: Oso
I'm glad to see this discussion. After using a P3P for a year and a half, I noticed that there were only two of these pins. I thought that two of them must have broken (had no idea how that could have happened) and that the camera was in danger of falling off. Now I feel like a dummy for having never noticed that two of the pins were missing all along.

I'm glad to see this discussion. After using a P3P for a year and a half, I noticed that there were only two of these pins. I thought that two of them must have broken (had no idea how that could have happened) and that the camera was in danger of falling off. Now I feel like a dummy for having never noticed that two of the pins were missing all along.

At first that’s what I thought that 2 were missing or the guy who sold it to me didn’t replace them when he attempted to rebuild it. But there’s 4 holes why did Dji build it this way they don’t say anywhere not to put 2 more in! So I guess the only way to get the answer is to try 4 and see what happens.

At first that’s what I thought that 2 were missing or the guy who sold it to me didn’t replace them when he attempted to rebuild it. But there’s 4 holes why did Dji build it this way they don’t say anywhere not to put 2 more in! So I guess the only way to get the answer is to try 4 and see what happens.
I don't know how to put this any other way.
Two is the proper number.
Two is all that's required.
There is no reason to use 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues