Dronexpert gimbal for Phantom Vision

Re: New video Dronexpert gimbal for Phantom Vision

JustJames said:
Same here I think I like the Rotorpixle set up a little better. Hard to say. I am curious to see final price and how it ends up working.
J

Dronexpert Vid
https://vimeo.com/83419437

Rotorpixle vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdtE2FZc9_A

I kept going round the same thought cycle, in the end I decided to jump when I saw that dronexpert had seemingly sussed the gimbal tilt control. Also their communication seemed way better than Rotorpixel (and certainly better than DJI!)

semaj said:
iDrone. said:
As soon as another company will start to make a gimbal for PV for a more reasonable price, Dronexpert will drop the price.

I hope so... The video does look pretty freaking good though... looks like 4 mins or so time loss which is completely acceptable to me for the result you achieve.

Didn't I read somewhere about DJI releasing there gimbal for the Vision in Feb 2014? I cant remember where I saw this, but i'm sure I read it... Curious to see if its to use a gopro or the built-in Vision camera...

Anyone know the status of RotorPixel's P2V gimbal?

The post about a P2V zenmuse gimbal was from of our resident trolls and not true, not to say that it's not possible DJI will one day make one for the P2V.

Alas I am at the point of wanting to move on from the Vision. It's been a good learning experience but the lack of a gimbal for it makes decent video work very difficult in any amount of wind. And the cost of the gimbals that aren't even shipping yet is way too high. I'm really wishing I'd just pushed the finances and gone to the TBS Discovery Pro. May sell my Vision off and start saving.

TBS discovery pro looks interesting. What's the flight time? Looks pretty comparable to the vision though. Not much about it that impresses me more besides the gimbal.

Tromac said:
I'm really wishing I'd just pushed the finances and gone to the TBS Discovery Pro. May sell my Vision off and start saving.

Yes I have been looking at that as well, mainly because there appears to be no build quality issues. My supplier Quadcopters.co.uk bill it as the best quad on the market today. Comes as a kit you build yourself (always good for understanding the beast) or professionally built by them. They even offer a package where you can go to their workshops and build it yourself under the guidance of one of their engineers. Thats really appealing to me.

However, I have to say that for me its far too early to jump ship on my Phantom investment. The Vision is so new that its too early in my view to lament the lack of gimbals. So many of these quads have been and will be sold that a choice of gimbals are bound to follow.

correct me if im wrong but the i cant see the advantage the tbs discovery pro has over a phantom 2 with all the toys, , its double the price, and has half the flight time , looks very cool though

Phantasmic said:
shortyuk said:
correct me if im wrong but the i cant see the advantage the tbs discovery pro has over a phantom 2 with all the toys, , its double the price, and has half the flight time , looks very cool though

Here are a few advantages that I have found:

-longer FPV range
-a gimbal
-the ability to run a superior camera
-no risk of props in the frame
-allows you to switch between the FPV camera and the GoPro to accurately frame shots
-more stable
-more nimble
-much faster
-easy replacement of components (arms in the even of a crash)
sounds interesting, whats the superior camera, i agree about ease of changing arms, not sure about longer fpv, they quote distances of over 10 km with upgrades, but is this feasable with 10-12 mins flight time

Put some bigger motors on it and larger props and then you can add easily extra battery power for longer flight times.

But i prefer plug and play. Although my hexa is stable as a rock and flying great and it is like the Discovery pro but then with 6 motors, i don´t like to connect the battery´s, volt-meter, battery of the camera, monitor, gimbal etc. etc.

And when you are home, you have to charge all of that stuff. In the beginning you don´t care but the PV is so much easier and
Dronexpert is adding a great product (or any other company who will make a gimbal with a good price).

Yeah I don't really see the discovery as having a big advantage over the Phantom vision. In fact I see no advantage. As mentioned there are gimbals being released.

yeah they do look cool though lol, im really happy with my setup, p2 zenmuse, avl58, and the props in shot isnt too much of a problem, you get used to flying a certain way to eliminate that. i flew 1km away today at duiridge bay, northumberland, i was eyeing coquet island up for a sea crossing, but they wind was a bit strong, i will be back on a better day though :cool:

shortyuk said:
i was eyeing coquet island up for a sea crossing, but they wind was a bit strong, i will be back on a better day though :cool:

Fair play, make sure you post the footage :)

Well Trappy himself has a Flytrex: http://flytrex.com/tbs.trappy/ It's a speedy beast, I'll give it that. The TBS quads are a specially designed frame onto which you can put whatever control system/motors/receivers/cameras/FPV rigs you want to. Here's the parts list as supplied by them for a self-build unit with everything you need except a GoPro using their recommended stuff http://team-blacksheep.com/products/product:237

Interesting that they go with the NAZA (although the lesser version to ours, NAZA V2 is an optional upgrade), so we're in good company!

wow it is fast, wonder if thats in level flight, you can also install a zenmuse on it, shame about flight time, is it true that a futaba tx binds as standard to the p2 rx, and gives range up to 4 km

We are getting off the Forum about the gimbal, we all bought the phantom because of price correct? Im just wating to hear about this new gimbal from drone expert from a fellow phantom pilot, also I am waitng to hear about the iphone video glasses for first person from another forum, I hate waiting LOL :lol:

osen007 said:
We are getting off the Forum about the gimbal, we all bought the phantom because of price correct? Im just wating to hear about this new gimbal from drone expert from a fellow phantom pilot, also I am waitng to hear about the iphone video glasses for first person from another forum, I hate waiting LOL :lol:

Hi,
What is the forum that you mentioned for the iPhone video glasses? :roll:
Thank you

OK, whilst we are all waiting for something to happen why don't we start asking questions in advance of the first review then hopefully whoever is lucky enough to get one can try and cover the points we all want to know.

I want to see video of a full tilt up and down in the hover to see if any of the landing gear or propellers are in view. Ideally I want to see this recorded in wide angle and narrow field of view.

I want to see some photos as above.

I would like to see video of the phantom flying at a fairly high speed with camera pointing 45 deg down and level.

DiegoF said:
osen007 said:

Hi,
What is the forum that you mentioned for the iPhone video glasses? :roll:
Thank you

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6353

Hello guys .. I just bought a pv2 last week and had the same concern about the tilt issue!

I wonder why dji set up the phantom app so that one has to keep a finger on the gimbal button of the app to be able to use the tilt of radio to control tilt of camera?
Why wont dji make the a toggle switch? One touch it turns on.. Second touch it turns off.
That way i can turn on tilt control. Have it stay on while i use both hand for flying and use radio tilt to control camera tilt!

Why has dji made this so inconvenient..
1 in the way the switch works in software!
2 in the way 7th Channal on radio can be activated to control camera tilt!
Both of these are very doable......
App: Super simple mod to code. To have switch stay on.
7th channel: Obviously possible as is seen in dronexpert setup!

Why is dji limiting such an important function when the solution is already there and easy?
That is a mystery to me !
Any thoughts?

I love the dronecpert 2 axis gimbal . But at this time i would be happy just to have tilt control while my both hands are on the radio sticks!

I guess they figure you don't need to fly and tilt at the same time. Lol. Silly if you ask me. I agree they should have a toggle switch on the app that keeps that sensor tilt option on instead of having to hold your finger on it...

Although of course you'll vastly reduce wifi range if you need to point your tx (and attached range extender) down to hold the camera pointing at the ground - and possibly affect tx control range with it. I never used the phone gyro tilt function partly for these reasons. The only time it makes sense is if you use a pilot+photographer setup: someone else is holding the phone in their hands who can then yaw and tilt using phone movement whilst you keep both hands on the sticks and your antenna orientated optimally - in that scenario a toggle would definitely be useful for the camera operator.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl