Drones is a cool thing, but when you married with kids...drone stuff die quickly and painfully...

Get a new wife. Mine openly supports all of my various hobbies, regardless of how expensive they are. As long as the bills are paid, my daughter is happy and healthy, and we have some money in the bank, we both support each other in our purchases, because they make us happy. My wife loves makeup and cloths, so I embrace it(not to mention she looks good!), but I would never tell her it's a waste of money, or anything even close.

To the OP, you need to edit the thread title - When you're Married with kids... every stuff dies quickly and painfully...

You need to do a CSC on her or maybe give her batteries a deep cycle. Just don't do them in that order or you might get into trouble.

My wife told me if I would ever lose my P4 we would just get another one. When I get upset at something she says "relax and go fly your drone". Too old! you may be not old enough. When wives don't let boys be boys sometimes the boys RTH fails!

Last edited:
It's true, I was like all into this for a few months and your wife comes along and says some stupid [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] like "aren't you like too old for this?"
"No. But maybe I'm too young for you." ;)

I reached a steady state with my wife years ago. I don't question her purchases, she doesn't question mine, we're both reasonable given how much money is available.

It used to be different- I really can't pinpoint when I turned the tide. Maybe it had to do with the absolute losers all her friends married and divorced.

Reactions: hardcoredrum13
I have a keeper. My wife bought me my Phantom 4 for Christmas. Yay me!

My wife did too! She liked seeing this old guy grin like a little kid when I opened it up! And she gets to see the same smile every time I come in from flying even if it is just over the neighborhood!

Reactions: ChipperRay
Everyone needs a hobby at any age ... tennis, golf, kayaking, hiking, photography, skiing, capturing great images with drones or ALL of the above (my case). At 74 I still do all of the above and my wife is glad I'm active. At a younger age with 4 kids going everywhere (soccer, swimming,etc.) it was more difficult.

I am fortunate in that my Wife and Daughter bought me the Phantom 4 for Christmas. They are thrilled I am enjoying just going out and flying, sometimes getting some really nice shots of sunsets.

My kids are gone out of the house now so yes that helps with the budget. I think another thing that helps is when my wife shares in the same hobbies I have. We have been scuba diving together, ride motorcycles together (yes she rides her own), shooting together (and no, not at one another), and now we do drones together. She flies a Mavic Pro and I fly a P4P Plus. Granted, sometimes I have to do a bit of encouraging to get her out with me, but most of the time she is willing.

Reactions: iwchris
That's when you get a Part 107 license, and then your drone addiction becomes a "business opportunity" that will provide additional income and allow one to spend more time with family. At least that's my excuse.

Been married 41 years and my poor wife has seen me go through so many things. Different needs at different stages of life. Put the women and kids first rest will come in due time. If you put her first often she will want to make you happy and not fight your hobbies.

Sometimes it is not wise to have a drone hobby but other times may be the best thing especially as I have grand kid time with the drones. But she does see I work hard and encourages me to have this outlet.

She does love the videos.

I once bought a drone off a guy because his girlfriend threw his drone in the pool. As the women around me said it was because he was being a jerk and she took it out on him the best way she knew how.

So put that women first and you will be surprised by how great that will come back.

Don't get married and no worries what you do.... Get married for sure the women will eventually change your fun habits.

Believe me when. You get too old to enjoy it it will be too late. In the UK a drone is classed as an aircraft like and Airbus, 747 or a Cessna. So would you trust a young kid to have the skills to fly one of those? You need to be older to have the certain mindset to be able to fly one safely and responsibly.
Do what you want today, tomorrow you may not be able to. I am a grandad now and my grandchildren think it's cool I can do stuff like this.
What would she have you do? Play golf? Wait isn't that getting little things in little holes , and I thought that was tiddly winks.

It's true, I was like all into this for a few months and your wife comes along and says some stupid [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] like "aren't you like too old for this?"

Whoa, whoa, whoa! This can happen and it doesn't matter whether you are married or not. Growing up, my mom said things like this to the girls:
  1. "Every dog likes a little meat on his bones". Sir Mix-a-Lot said it best!
  2. "Let a man be a man, most importantly don't stomp out the little boy in him."
To the boys, she said things like:
  1. "Tell her she is beautiful every day, not just when she wears makeup or gets a new hairstyle."
  2. "Be helpful all of the time, not just when she asks."
To the boys and girls she said things like:
  1. "Treat the other like they mean the world to you and they will do the same for you. Do not settle for less."
  2. "Play your cards close to your chest, keep them guessing what's next. Keep it spontaneous."
  3. "Last but not least, be supportive!"
I am female, in my 40s, (1) Phantom 4, (1) Mavic Pro, (1) OSMO Mobile, (1) white xbox OneS 2TB, (1) red Gears of War xbox OneS 2TB, (1) xbox One 2TB, (1) PS4, I'll stop here because I have many hobbies and so does the DB. I am not a wife, I've been told I am a keeper though. It has nothing to do with being a "wife". Maybe more of what is she interested in? In my relationship we have an understanding...we will not always like the same thing. I have my likes, he has his likes, and we have our likes. When one of us is doing something the other does not like, the other one can go do their thing. When one of us is doing something the other likes, they are welcome to join in or not.

Maybe finding that happy medium is the key. I am not saying you gotta go all gushy and shower her and overdo it just to get what you want either. I don't know your significant others but it may work, I myself don't require that. We set a limit and time period, then take turns buying. For example, every 6 months $1200 gets saved. $50 is taken out of each of our paychecks and direct deposited into a separate bank account called "fun". The rest of our checks is direct deposited into the main bank account. We then take turns spending it. Some times we forego buying "toys" and spend it on a vacay.

My daughter is an adult now, sh and her boyfriend are in their 20s. I have a 5 year old grandson. I also have my little sister that I have had custody of since she was 15. We all live in the same household. They do some of the same things as me and DB. Then we have days we all go our separate ways.

Design a plan to take care of needs first and wants second. Design a list of hobbies to do apart and together. Design the order of which things are obtained. Design the savings plan and when the allotments will be given out. Maybe individual hobbies are obtained first, then group hobbies. Implement all of the designs, I'm rooting for ya!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor