Drones and Weapons, a Dangerous Mix - from FAA

Reaction score
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is warning the general public that it is illegal to operate a drone with a dangerous weapon attached.

Perhaps you’ve seen online photos and videos of drones with attached guns, bombs, fireworks, flamethrowers, and other dangerous items. Do not consider attaching any items such as these to a drone because operating a drone with such an item may result in significant harm to a person and to your bank account.

Operating a drone that has a dangerous weapon attached to it is a violation of Section 363 of the 2018 FAA Reauthorization Act enacted Oct. 5, 2018. Operators are subject to civil penalties up to $25,000 for each violation, unless the operator has received specific authorization from the Administrator of the FAA to conduct the operation. “Dangerous Weapon” means any item that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury.

Operators should keep in mind that federal regulations and statutes that generally govern drone operations still apply. Some state and federal criminal laws regarding weapons and hazardous materials may also apply to drone operators or manufacturers involved in certain operations.

Reactions: MTO
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is warning the general public that it is illegal to operate a drone with a dangerous weapon attached.

Perhaps you’ve seen online photos and videos of drones with attached guns, bombs, fireworks, flamethrowers, and other dangerous items. Do not consider attaching any items such as these to a drone because operating a drone with such an item may result in significant harm to a person and to your bank account.

Operating a drone that has a dangerous weapon attached to it is a violation of Section 363 of the 2018 FAA Reauthorization Act enacted Oct. 5, 2018. Operators are subject to civil penalties up to $25,000 for each violation, unless the operator has received specific authorization from the Administrator of the FAA to conduct the operation. “Dangerous Weapon” means any item that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury.

Operators should keep in mind that federal regulations and statutes that generally govern drone operations still apply. Some state and federal criminal laws regarding weapons and hazardous materials may also apply to drone operators or manufacturers involved in certain operations.
I got that too, thanks for posting...now what am I going to do with this crate of grenades I was going to drop.

I don't understand this forum sometimes. Its like half the people in here think they are the Drone Police and feel the need to announce obvious things like this. I mean are there really people in this forum that don't know that its illegal to attach weapons to drone?

JeffreyS LOL!

I got the same notice. Of course it’s sent to to those of us who are already responsible (i.e. we know better!) and focused on safety. The funny thing is that will it stop anyone who was planning on doing it?

Future Criminal - “I’m going to strap a gun to my drone.”
FAA - “You can’t to that - it’s illegal!”
Future Criminal - “Ah crap! Guess I’ll have to find another way to break the law.” [emoji23]

Reactions: JeffreyS
Can't see that sharing pertinent information can classify someone as drone police.
Chill.

Ok I guess I just don’t consider this to be “pertinent information”. I guess it falls more in the category of common sense things that everyone already knows.

Did you know that you can’t fly your drone in the middle of a US Air Force base? Yup it’s true. Is that “pertinent information” that I should create a post about?

Look it just seems to me like there are a lot of newbie droners or posers that come in here that seem to be more proponents of regulation than actually flying drones. I mean did you think there was some huge lack of information that was leading people to attach weapons to their drones?

Reactions: JeffreyS
Can't see that sharing pertinent information can classify someone as drone police.
Chill.
Ok I guess I just don’t consider this to be “pertinent information”. I guess it falls more in the category of common sense things that everyone already knows.

Did you know that you can’t fly your drone in the middle of a US Air Force base? Yup it’s true. Is that “pertinent information” that I should create a post about?

Look it just seems to me like there are a lot of newbie droners or posers that come in here that seem to be more proponents of regulation than actually flying drones. I mean did you think there was some huge lack of information that was leading people to attach weapons to their drones?
Hey Tim,
The pertinent part (to me) was in the first paragraph, sharing that the FAA was advising the general public.
While you may know more than the average bear about the rules and regs. pertaining to this hobby, there really are a lot of people who have purchased a drone, or been gifted one, and don't even know that there are any rules at all.
And I suggested chilling because your post could have been offensive to the OP, and I just believe that we should be friendlier to new members to our community is all.

I've been having trouble getting the duct tape to stick that is holding my Smith & Wesson 38 to my Spark. I guess I'll have to scrap that idea.
C'mon man! Seriously? You know darn well ya can't do that!!!

Gotta use Gorilla Tape! Waaaaay better'n regular duct tape. Sheesh. What a noob... ? ? ? ?

Reactions: Pharm and JeffreyS

I received it the other day, as well. That, of course, prompted me to go directly to YouTube and see what people have been doing. I'm sorry. Responsible or not, the Roman candle one looks like fun.

• Haha
Reactions: Shoot4fun
Hey Tim,
The pertinent part (to me) was in the first paragraph, sharing that the FAA was advising the general public.
While you may know more than the average bear about the rules and regs. pertaining to this hobby, there really are a lot of people who have purchased a drone, or been gifted one, and don't even know that there are any rules at all.
And I suggested chilling because your post could have been offensive to the OP, and I just believe that we should be friendlier to new members to our community is all.

Hey bro I never had any intention of being offensive or disrespectful to anyone. I was trying to point out something that must have just went whoosh over everyone’s heads.

I don’t really worry much about upsetting the the web site monitors because I didn’t violate any website rules but if squelching my freedom of speech is a priority they will kill my account at they’re leisure and there is nothing I can do about it.

I don’t really have anything to add to the original conversation so I’ll just leave it there ok. Thanks for your concerns and contacting me and I hope you have a great weekend (what’s left of it) lol

Reactions: Shoot4fun
JeffreyS LOL!

I got the same notice. Of course it’s sent to to those of us who are already responsible (i.e. we know better!) and focused on safety. The funny thing is that will it stop anyone who was planning on doing it?

Future Criminal - “I’m going to strap a gun to my drone.”
FAA - “You can’t to that - it’s illegal!”
Future Criminal - “Ah crap! Guess I’ll have to find another way to break the law.” [emoji23]
Strapping the .38 is easy. The tricky bit is getting it to pull the trigger.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic