Dronelapse

OOO

Reaction score
This is my first dronelapse. The drone was quite unstable because of the wind and most of the footage was shaky and unusable. If you have any suggestions about dronelapse please let me know. Thanks.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

those were still some great shots. I've polled the same question on some of the FB sites as I struggled with the drone moving left and right way too much. I have not gotten an answer. I think the only answer is that if you want to speed up your video (when going in a straight line or standing still) it has to be a windless day.

Reactions: OOO
those were still some great shots. I've polled the same question on some of the FB sites as I struggled with the drone moving left and right way too much. I have not gotten an answer. I think the only answer is that if you want to speed up your video (when going in a straight line or standing still) it has to be a windless day.

I totally agree. I usually do my drone lapse work at higher altitudes and most of my footage are unusable because of the wind. I should work at lower altitudes to avoid wind and shaky footage. IMO, waypoint mission is te best mode for drone lapse. Chose 2 waypoints and let the drone fly between these 2 points at very slow speeds. Another useful mode is tap to fly mode but in this mode the aircraft makes significant course correction during the flight. POI mode is also may be a good flight mode but I’ve never tried it for lapse work.

Last edited:
Is that sped up video? Or stills taken on intervals?

Reactions: OOO
This is a true lapse work. Approximately 2500 stills were taken with 2 sec interval in 4 different location.

Last edited:
Reactions: Surferchicusa
This is a true lapse work. Approximately 2500 stills were taken with 2 sec interval in 4 different location.
How fast do you fly when doing those interval shots? Is it manual flight? Or so you use something like Litchi to nail it at a low speed and programmed path?

I don’t use Litchi. These shots were taken with tap to fly mode at lowest speed (I think it was 3.6 km/h). But in waypoint mission the speed can be adjusted up to zero.

I don’t use Litchi. These shots were taken with tap to fly mode at lowest speed (I think it was 3.6 km/h). But in waypoint mission the speed can be adjusted up to zero.
the last moving hyperlapse I shot was with tap to fly, it did shift around a lot. I may try using a waypoint mission next time to see if it comes out better.

the last moving hyperlapse I shot was with tap to fly, it did shift around a lot. I may try using a waypoint mission next time to see if it comes out better.

Yes during tap to fly mode the drone makes multiple direction adjustments. I have tried waypoint mission (2 waypoints and a single fly path) and it was better. In addition, aircraft can fly in very low speeds in waypoint mission. However, in tap to fly mode, minimum speed is limited to 3.6 km/h.

Last edited:

You’re right with your calculation. But, for these shots my parameters were as follows:

Interval: 2 sec
Video frame rate: 30 FPS
Clip duration: 10 sec

With the above parameters you need 10 minutes of flight time. If clip duration is 15 sec then you need 15 minutes of flight time. For both scenarios P4P battery gives you more than enough flight time.

This is my first dronelapse. The drone was quite unstable because of the wind and most of the footage was shaky and unusable. If you have any suggestions about dronelapse please let me know. Thanks.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I think it looks great. Only complaint is that it wasn't longer.

Did this video take u the entire 15 minutes?

I spent 5 batteries in 4 different locations for these shots. Duration of each flight was about 15-20 minutes. I have 2 minutes of time lapse video but as I mentioned in my previous posts most of the footage was shaky and unusable. This is what left behind.

I spent 5 batteries in 4 different locations for these shots. Duration of each flight was about 15-20 minutes. I have 2 minutes of time lapse video but as I mentioned in my previous posts most of the footage was shaky and unusable. This is what left behind.
I know this may not be worth the effort but since it’s not a sped up video but a true Timelapse with many still photos, have you thought about taking the individual photos into photoshop and aligning each one so they are all “registered” and not moving around. You should be able to take a reference and layer it with each one as a reference, drop the opacity and slide the frame you are fixing around till it it matches, delete the reference layer and save. Then move into the next. You will end up with some black borders left over where an image was moved but just scale the video up slightly to get rid of those.

This can be very time consuming but may help you salvage a once in a lifetime Timelapse. :)

Naturally this assumes that the problem is that each image is slightly off from the ones next to it. *Not* if each image itself has motion blue from shake.

Bill

Reactions: GadgetGuy and OOO
I know this may not be worth the effort but since it’s not a sped up video but a true Timelapse with many still photos, have you thought about taking the individual photos into photoshop and aligning each one so they are all “registered” and not moving around. You should be able to take a reference and layer it with each one as a reference, drop the opacity and slide the frame you are fixing around till it it matches, delete the reference layer and save. Then move into the next. You will end up with some black borders left over where an image was moved but just scale the video up slightly to get rid of those.

This can be very time consuming but may help you salvage a once in a lifetime Timelapse. :)

Naturally this assumes that the problem is that each image is slightly off from the ones next to it. *Not* if each image itself has motion blue from shake.

Bill

Thank you. It'll probably take too much time. But I'll keep photos. The quality of the images is perfect.

Last edited:
A question that I have left to do; You say that each flight was about 15-20 minutes, and from what I see, the drone moves in a straight line, the question is, what distance does the drone travel in those 15 minutes and how do you control it?

A question that I have left to do; You say that each flight was about 15-20 minutes, and from what I see, the drone moves in a straight line, the question is, what distance does the drone travel in those 15 minutes and how do you control it?

I used waypoint and tap to fly mode for these shots. In waypoint mode record 2 waypoints and let the drone fly between them. The distance between them was 250-450 meters. In this mode you can select very low speeds (starting from zero). I was able to select 0.7 km/h in this mode. In tap to fly mode minimum speed was 3.6 km/h. In this mode let the drone fly for 10-15 minutes. Get your coffee and let the drone does the rest for you :) In both flight modes you’ll get more than enough shots for your lapse work. IMO, you’ll get more stable footage in waypoint mode.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic