DRONE ???????????

Because the original comment was aimed at my intelligence Sir.
And owning your own business and your DAUGHTER being in University says nothing about your intelligence, which is why it was queried as being irrelevant.

Good point........I get annoyed with the term "drone" also. I tell everyone I have a quad-copter not a Drone !
drone definition. In military usage, a pilotless aircraft used for reconnaissance and, more recently, for launching aerial attacks.

Actually, in military usage a drone was originally the term for an unmanned aircraft used for target practice for fighter planes and Surface-to-Air missiles to shoot down. It was not a weapon system.

The US military calls its unmanned weapons systems "UAVs" and "UCAVs" and rarely calls them drones, though it seems this is starting to change.

The argument that only military UAVs should be called drones is not only silly (that horse has left the barn) but it's wrong.

Reactions: Buzz313th
Lol! I hate clones more than I hate drones! Bwahahaha!!
images4HKE7OJ0.jpg
..... Well that depends on what ya cloning bro ;)
Blasted beer done got hot :(

Reactions: AmosMoses
I am becoming very angry at the use of the word DRONE !!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
This has been the norm for all people, that have no idea what a DRONE IS.

A Phantom is not a DRONE, GET THIS INTO YOUR HEADS, It is a Radio Controlled model, as is a model Aeroplane , A Quadcopter, A Glider, A Plane, A Rocket,, A RADIO CONTROLLED MODEL CANNOT BE COMPARED TO A DRONE.

I feel sick to my stomach!! to think all YOU!! out there, for some reason think / and advertise the word DRONE.

A Drone is destined to KILL PEOPLE WITH A PREDETERMINED AND PROGRAMMED ROUT VIA SATELLITE NAVIGATIONAL SYSTEM.

A Quadcopter is a recreational play thing THAT HAS, IN ALL HONESTY, A SATELLITE NAVIGATIONAL HOMING DEVISE. THAT IS ALL.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

You are right. UAV is correct term.

WOW did this light a firecracker!

Reactions: SteveMann
I am hoping for a lot of drones in my backyard. The fruit trees are blossoming and I need them worker bees to pollinate them.

You sir have been misinformed and thus frightened by the media

I whole Hartley agree. esp considering the fact that the word drone being used to describe any unnamed remote control air craft has been in use sence way before any weaponized drones were used by any one to kill things. Its not only silly im also almost tempted to wonder if any one thats mad at a word or scared of what word some thing is called might possibly have some mental health problems that have gone un checked.

A Drone is destined to KILL PEOPLE WITH A PREDETERMINED AND PROGRAMMED ROUT VIA SATELLITE NAVIGATIONAL SYSTEM.

I think you may have drones confused with cruse missiles.

Because not all weaponized drones are flow via a pre programed route and are flown by people on the ground and the targeting of any one with a drone is done by a person and its a person that pulls the trigger to fire the weapons at the targets. We still have not gone over that dangerus cliff yet of letting a drone or any weapon system be completely autonomous and make decisions to kill. Tho we do have the technology to do it its just not done being there are to many risks of one going off on its own and deciding to go all bender from futurama and wanting to kill all the humans.
and even the first military drones that were used back in as early as the 1940s and launched out of 16 inch guns for arial photo damage assessments Then would fly back and so they could develop the film canisters were even called drones and they didn't have any thing in them that was programmable nore did they use any sort of navigation system esp not satellites being that none of that stuff existed 70 years ago. The only thing that was automated on them was the camera and the spring loaded wings that would unfold after it was fired out of the guns. Then a pilot with a remote would fly it back and would fly it in the the catch net. So they could retrieve the film and develop it and then see if they needed to adjust the guns targeting or determine if they still needed to unleash a few more volleys of whoop *** on the target or not. Drones were also what they called any full size air plane that was rigged to be flown from the ground so as to not risk a person in target practice. and also how they crash test air planes. Being its not easy to find a live pilot willing to ram a 747 in to a wall at full speed. So they use DRONES from it. IE an aircraft that is controlled by remote.

Debunking the drone myths.

A drone is a model aircraft. - Umm...yeah. So the Phantom is a model of what? It doesn't resemble a Japanese torpedo plane or a Vietnam-era Huey. So what exactly is it a model of?

UAV is the correct term. - I'll agree in so far as UAV is a correct term, just not the only one. There's also quadcopter, multirotor, and drone. And guess what? The MQ-9 Reaper is also a UAV. The MQ-9 UAV kills people and destroys things.

Use of the word "drone" will cause public hate. - No. Idiots flying drones idiotically cause public hate.

People associate drones with military drone strikes. - Yes, they do. They also associate drones with GoPros. Give the public a little credit for being able to discern between an MQ-9 Reaper and a DJI Phantom.

The hobby will die if we call them drones. - This idea does more harm than good. There are more drones and more people calling them drones. If you want to do the hobby a favor, when someone say "is that a drone?" or more likely, "cool drone you have there," don't take this as an opportunity to lecture about "proper terminology."

The proper response is, "Yes, it's a drone. Isn't it cool? Do you want to see the view?"

When people hear the word, we want them to picture happy, red-striped drones flying through fireworks with GoPros while delivering pizzas and Amazon.

Debunking the drone myths.

A drone is a model aircraft. - Umm...yeah. So the Phantom is a model of what? It doesn't resemble a Japanese torpedo plane or a Vietnam-era Huey. So what exactly is it a model of?

UAV is the correct term. - I'll agree in so far as UAV is a correct term, just not the only one. There's also quadcopter, multirotor, and drone. And guess what? The MQ-9 Reaper is also a UAV. The MQ-9 UAV kills people and destroys things.

Use of the word "drone" will cause public hate. - No. Idiots flying drones idiotically cause public hate.

People associate drones with military drone strikes. - Yes, they do. They also associate drones with GoPros. Give the public a little credit for being able to discern between an MQ-9 Reaper and a DJI Phantom.

The hobby will die if we call them drones. - This idea does more harm than good. There are more drones and more people calling them drones. If you want to do the hobby a favor, when someone say "is that a drone?" or more likely, "cool drone you have there," don't take this as an opportunity to lecture about "proper terminology."

The proper response is, "Yes, it's a drone. Isn't it cool? Do you want to see the view?"

When people hear the word, we want them to picture happy, red-striped drones flying through fireworks with GoPros while delivering pizzas and Amazon.

This is a well thought out response and I agree with it. People need to calm down. The discussion I have most with people is, if you are concerned about people recording you and invading your privacy... Then you need to be going after cell phones which record much closer to you in nearly all situations (including multiple situations where "drones" can't be flown).

My mother (78) was spouting off about the invasion of privacy until I showed her the phantom's view from 300 ft... She said... Oh you can't really see people very well from there.

Everyone who is getting up in arms about this hobby need to calm down... And we all need to keep being responsible in both our usage and our response to people who are concerned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This argument just drones on and on

Well call it a DRONE THEN! and reap the results when the Media, and the public get angry with you,
You will kill the hobby with your insistence to compare this Radio Controlled model, to an aerial surveillance snooping vehicle. I cant understand why, You of all people should do such a thing to a new and very popular recreational past time that you all love.

I have had family's come up to me and ask " Is that a Drone " ? Who are you spying on? are you a pervert? do you looking through windows at night ? why is it fitted with a camera you weirdo ?.

Your call !! and it is obvious to me that it is a macho thing.

Yes I fly a DRONE, ---- oh you big man.

Sorry, I pilot a drone.

Seriously though, I hope you take the opportunity when asked about your drone to educate the public, address their concerns, and allay their fears.
When I'm asked if that is a "drone" I'm flying, I reply with something like "yeah, that is one word for it," or "Yes, it is, some people prefer quadcopter because..."
I do call my quadcopters "drones" because, as I've said, that term is such a part of our lexicon that it is pointless changing it, easier to correct the definition. Not everyone equates "drone" to a death star as you do.
I find these encounters a great time to explain what a drone really is, and how fun these toy quadcopters are, and how in the future drones are going to become a common sight in our skies. I explain all the safety features and how inadequate they are for spying on people or doing surveillance of any sort with the cameras our hobby drones have.
I hope I can educate folks and help relieve the fears some have with my own calm and cheerful attitude.

I am becoming very angry at the use of the word DRONE !!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
This has been the norm for all people, that have no idea what a DRONE IS.

A Phantom is not a DRONE, GET THIS INTO YOUR HEADS, It is a Radio Controlled model, as is a model Aeroplane , A Quadcopter, A Glider, A Plane, A Rocket,, A RADIO CONTROLLED MODEL CANNOT BE COMPARED TO A DRONE.

I feel sick to my stomach!! to think all YOU!! out there, for some reason think / and advertise the word DRONE.

A Quadcopter is a recreational play thing THAT HAS, IN ALL HONESTY, A SATELLITE NAVIGATIONAL HOMING DEVISE. THAT IS ALL.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 9.10.01 AM.png

Granted, I haven't had my Phantom long, but not one single time since I've had it has someone asked me if that's a "quadcopter" or a "Dji Phatom" or any other name.....It's always.... "Is that a Drone?" or "Wow, that's Drone is so cool!", or "Man I wish I had a drone!"...everyone I've ever talked to since I've had it has acted as if it was really neat instead of scary....not to say there aren't the paranoid types out there, because we know all to well there is and it's those that are making our hobby jeopardizing. BUT, I have to agree with the popular opinion here, us calling it a "drone", or recognizing it as a "drone" when someone else refers to it as that, without correcting them, isn't going to make a difference. We all know that Law Makers are the ones who will decide the future of our Hobby, and we have to be as responsible as we can be and not give them any more reasons to want to ban out beloved quadcopters, multirotors, drones....whatever they want to call them. It won't matter what they are called, if idiots persist to fly them over the White House trying to deliver mail....or fly them into busy streets in NY or into Skyscrapers in huge cities around the world our hobby will be a thing of the past, we will only be flying our "drones" ONLY in our dreams!! So call it what you will, it won't matter, just fly it will respect and responsibility and don't push the limits and ruin it for the rest of us who love the hobby and hope and plan to enjoy it for a long time to come. :D

Well call it a DRONE THEN! and reap the results when the Media, and the public get angry with you,

I have had family's come up to me and ask " Is that a Drone " ? Who are you spying on? are you a pervert? do you looking through windows at night ? why is it fitted with a camera you weirdo?

It's not about the word, it's about ignorance and fear
That level of fear/anger would be applied whatever you call our toys.
Call it something else and the same people would ask .... Is that a quadcopter ? Who are you spying on? etc etc.

Over time some of these people will see for themselves or have friends explain the true situation and in time there will be less negativity.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl