Drone users face jail time, fines if they don't register

I have a hunch we're going to see a wave of new drones that are quite capable under 250 grams.
I'd love to see a 1080p mini drone weighing in at 249 grams with RTH, compass and GPS for under $400
Maybe there already is one

they will just change the law. if it "feels" like someone can strap a bomb on one or one can fall out of the sky and hurt someone, they will justify a law update.

Reactions: JKDSensei
I like to think that if it goes too far, the fact that probably tens of thousands of owners, who've spent millions of dollars, collectively, will start to speak up. We didn't drop all that money to be told be can't use our investments.

It won't work because for each of us who speaks up for liberty and justice, 3 will jump to the defense of the bureaucracy as if you and I are the bad ones. Crazy, crazy times. Noone will speak up. In fact, most already supported every step the bureaucracy has already taken.

What would be ironic is if some of those end up in jail or fined.

Last edited:
You're right, I think the most that would happen is you are told to pack up your drone and fly elsewhere, and whether they can legally do that is often a gray area. But for me, and what I advise, don't argue with the cop, just pack it up and move to a different spot. Not that I am "rolling over" and "giving up my rights," but instead I'm protecting my pocket book and my time, both of which I value greatly. Arguing with authority often escalates the situation and you end up on the short stick. I don't want to waste my time or money fighting a BS charge and proving myself right. It is easier, faster, and cheaper for me to say, "yes sir. I believe you might be wrong, but I'll follow your request this time" or something like that, and just move on. Saves me from fighting a BS ticket.
I don't understand why some refuse to pay a $5 registration fee, but are willing to take on their local LE and ordinances, which could cost them a lot of time and money.
I think if you are really doing something patently stupid or dangerous with your drone, you will be charged with reckless endangerment. But simply flying where the local cop thinks you shouldn't won't get you in trouble unless you make a big deal out of it. Move along and do your research after to prove you were right, and present the facts you've found to your local cops, or have your research printed out to support you so that next time you can have a calm, factual interaction with the cop, with the laws/ordinances particular to your community in your hands.
Good points, particularly in doing what the cop says, BUT telling him you're not convinced that he's right. Also the reckless endangerment part. That's not just quadcopters, that's anything. You can be chared for r/a with a lawn mower, bicycle, baseball... so that's just a matter of common sense. Unfortunately, the few out there without said common sense, are the ones everyone is hearing about.
We need to get a story on 60 minutes about the good, fun, and productive sides of this activity.

I hope you understand it is not about the $5... It could be free and I would still see it as a knee-jerk response by our government. Educate & train operators then license them. Imagine if states had you register your automobiles but required no license or training to drive.
Exactly. The $5.00 is nothing. It's the principal. People can do damage with tennis racquets, too, but nobody has to get a license for those...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4