Drone users face jail time, fines if they don't register

Ever since I was questioned by the cops while flying my phantom I have been reluctant to fly. What happens if it is determined and who determines if I have violated one of the "suggestions" within the FAA drone guidelines?

Reactions: snowghost
Just talking to the cops and letting them know your intentions is the way to go. I asked a cop if it was alright to fly around the field. He said it's ok. But on the other hand a park employee with no authority told me I can't fly it in that same empty field. The sky is big. Drove 2 minutes to another area another area flew with no problems. Don't let them sway you just register it and show them the print out. What the heck do they know.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: GoodnNuff
(Watching DJI drone safari videos on Good Morning America right now)
Well I live in a blue state, and very little restrictions here. What restrictions I have encountered were in place prior to drone technology (i.e. RC planes), other than making the Space Needle and the big Ferris Wheel on the waterfront off limits, nothing has changed.

But this doesn't bode well for all those on this list who have made their stand by refusing to spend $5 to register their drones.

Ever since I was questioned by the cops while flying my phantom I have been reluctant to fly. What happens if it is determined and who determines if I have violated one of the "suggestions" within the FAA drone guidelines?

Yeah I don't blame you . I haven't flown in a month because LA has banned night flying and I haven't had time on the weekends of late.

I keep a copy of the ordinance on my iPhone and carry the FAA card in case the cops hassle me. Somebody on the Inspire forum enlarged a copy and put it in a holder with clip. Not a bad idea to wear it like an ID badge.

IF they are just asking someone if they are registered and the person is not doing any thing wrong then there should not be any thing for them to determine other then if you are carrying the registration copy with you or on line. and if there are numbers on or in the craft. Thats the only thing that is the LAW and not any guidelines or suggestions. Thats not a police officers job or his place to determine is some one is following things that are not laws and just suggestions and guide lines. and if by chance if some one is breaking some law it takes more then a cop just thinking some think is against the law or that some one is breaking a law. It don't matter what there opinion or feeling are about any thing and they instead need some thing called a statute to even charge someone for any thing. and they also need proof or at least probable cause by way of evidence or swore statement that someone did what ever the person is being accused of.

Not ALL "drones" have to be registered.
I have a few that do not require registration at all.
Of course, all the Phantoms do.
But there are some cool lightweight drones with cameras out there if you flat absolutely refuse to play the game.
As long as you stay under 250 grams you do not need to register to fly it.
There are a lot of minidrones under 250grams

I have a hunch we're going to see a wave of new drones that are quite capable under 250 grams.
I'd love to see a 1080p mini drone weighing in at 249 grams with RTH, compass and GPS for under $400
Maybe there already is one

If you just want to get airborne with a sUAV and get some BASIC photos or video.....
The Syma X5c with 720p camera and battery weighs exactly 100 grams, WELL under the registration requirement. Hey, don't laugh, 5 years ago it would have been flat out amazing tech.
Nowhere CLOSE to the league of the Phantom but it's still fun and you can get reasonable aerial video in a pinch....with sound. I modified the transmitter antenna so it goes a bit further than stock.
But you have to be able to actually fly it, no flight assistance other than gyro.

I'm flying my little X5C just to goof off lately. Waiting for a cop to ask for my registration papers.

th

Last edited:
Reactions: snowghost
The Title of this thread might not be clear to some.

You do NOT have to register to OWN a Phantom...only to FLY IT OUTDOORS.

INDOOR flight (indoor arena or very large home etc?) requires no registration. OWNERSHIP DOES NOT REQUIRE REGISTRATION.

Carry on

Last edited:
IF they are just asking someone if they are registered and the person is not doing any thing wrong then there should not be any thing for them to determine other then if you are carrying the registration copy with you or on line. and if there are numbers on or in the craft. Thats the only thing that is the LAW and not any guidelines or suggestions. Thats not a police officers job or his place to determine is some one is following things that are not laws and just suggestions and guide lines. and if by chance if some one is breaking some law it takes more then a cop just thinking some think is against the law or that some one is breaking a law. It don't matter what there opinion or feeling are about any thing and they instead need some thing called a statute to even charge someone for any thing. and they also need proof or at least probable cause by way of evidence or swore statement that someone did what ever the person is being accused of.
You're right, I think the most that would happen is you are told to pack up your drone and fly elsewhere, and whether they can legally do that is often a gray area. But for me, and what I advise, don't argue with the cop, just pack it up and move to a different spot. Not that I am "rolling over" and "giving up my rights," but instead I'm protecting my pocket book and my time, both of which I value greatly. Arguing with authority often escalates the situation and you end up on the short stick. I don't want to waste my time or money fighting a BS charge and proving myself right. It is easier, faster, and cheaper for me to say, "yes sir. I believe you might be wrong, but I'll follow your request this time" or something like that, and just move on. Saves me from fighting a BS ticket.
I don't understand why some refuse to pay a $5 registration fee, but are willing to take on their local LE and ordinances, which could cost them a lot of time and money.
I think if you are really doing something patently stupid or dangerous with your drone, you will be charged with reckless endangerment. But simply flying where the local cop thinks you shouldn't won't get you in trouble unless you make a big deal out of it. Move along and do your research after to prove you were right, and present the facts you've found to your local cops, or have your research printed out to support you so that next time you can have a calm, factual interaction with the cop, with the laws/ordinances particular to your community in your hands.

Reactions: Clipper707

I wonder how many of the toy rules enforcers will know that drones under 250 grams aren't required to be registered at all?
Can you see them carrying around a small scale to weigh them, or maybe they already do for drug busts?

Considering how dangerous the Feds tell us terrorists are and with drug abuse on the rise and all kinds of lesser importance things that risk human life going on..., I'm so glad law enforcement has the time to make sure we play properly.

Hopefully not a single cop in America will ever care about drone registration unless it's a life or death situation.

Why does this sound so familiar?
"Show me your papers!"
And when the revolution comes they will all say "I was only following orders".

Reactions: JKDSensei
I was told to land my Inspire by a sherrif's chopper in Burbank.

Scared the shiz out of me. I won't go back to that location and I am registered.

Not registering is an unwise idea. As bad as driving your car without the license. We should be happy it's only $5. One day it won't be but at least I'm locked in for 3 years.

I think I'll turn mine into a gun so I don't have to register it.

Note to FAA: This is a joke!! Please, FAA, don't take it seriously.

Reactions: von Richthofen
I think I'll turn mine into a gun so I don't have to register it.

Note to FAA: This is a joke!! Please, FAA, don't take it seriously.

In light of all the regulations pertaining to drones...asking the FAA to lighten up over them may be a lost cause.
Prepare to be swatted.

(Watching DJI drone safari videos on Good Morning America right now)
Well I live in a blue state, and very little restrictions here. What restrictions I have encountered were in place prior to drone technology (i.e. RC planes), other than making the Space Needle and the big Ferris Wheel on the waterfront off limits, nothing has changed.

But this doesn't bode well for all those on this list who have made their stand by refusing to spend $5 to register their drones.
I hope you understand it is not about the $5... It could be free and I would still see it as a knee-jerk response by our government. Educate & train operators then license them. Imagine if states had you register your automobiles but required no license or training to drive.

I hope you understand it is not about the $5... It could be free and I would still see it as a knee-jerk response by our government. Educate & train operators then license them. Imagine if states had you register your automobiles but required no license or training to drive.
Which is pretty much the case. Nowadays they take a test at home on a computer and then a tiny little drive.

I was just hit in the back by a student driver three days ago on my way up to Moorpark and the mother was mad at me for her uninsured and class C temp license.

Which is pretty much the case. Nowadays they take a test at home on a computer and then a tiny little drive.

I was just hit in the back by a student driver three days ago on my way up to Moorpark and the mother was mad at me for her uninsured and class C temp license.

I'm confused....was there an adult female in the car?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl