Drone users face jail time, fines if they don't register

Which is pretty much the case. Nowadays they take a test at home on a computer and then a tiny little drive.

I was just hit in the back by a student driver three days ago on my way up to Moorpark and the mother was mad at me for her uninsured and class C temp license.
Yeah, I hear ya. All the states work a little different. They still have a test in the DMV office here and a road test that puts prospective drivers out in a variety of real world driving with an inspector. A class C license in New York is a commercial truck license. :)

Well, the red ones work fine but the .... aww never mind
Don't come here then... I'm feeling blue here. Anyways, yeah, can't derail this thread to. Carry on. :D

Reactions: JKDSensei
I wonder if any members of this forum have been hit with fines yet?
It would be interesting to have a thread just for that purpose.
On one hand, maybe noone would ever get any fines which would be great and a great relief to all...

On the other hand, if people start getting fines, we'd have an idea of how much, for what and why.

"Hopefully", it'd be the loneliest thread on the forum.
Just a thought.

I think fines will be reserved for the worst of the worst. I also think a lot of verbal warnings will be given in population dense areas. Time will tell.

I'm confused....was there an adult female in the car?
Her 15yo boyfriend and her raggedy mother was there.

She actually could have got away with it because with the radio on, the 4 in my SUV didn't even know we were hit. I was at a intersection with a red light and I needed to get over to the right and she (the permit driver who was a female 16yo) hit the back wheel passenger side of my tire.

My insurance company put her at complete fault (California is a "fault state") meaning they assign liability by percentage to each driver in an accident. She had pretty significant damage too. Not sure how we didn't hear it but we drove out. At the next light about a quarter mile down, the mother knocked on my door so loud that I almost want to break my window mechanism because she was so obnoxious.

Man, I really can't tell a short story. Sorry. Anyway, so the mother pounds on our window and says "so you thought you were gonna hit and run!l". Now picture the angriest, ugliest lady you've ever seen and that was at my window. We had several people in the car and it took me three seconds to figure out the daughter was driving and she had at best a permit.

Turns out, she didn't even have the permit yet, she only had taken the test.

I got in calm mode and said "okay let's just exchange everything" and she said "well what about the hit and run" to which I replied "I double dare you to call the police and report a hit and run, in fact, here use my phone". As it was becoming clearer I could see she was realizing how dumb she was being but I had no idea how much yet.

So I got back to exchanging and I asked the young girl to hand me her license and insurance.

License looked like a registration and I said "no. I don't need the reg, just the license" and she gives me her friggen passed DMV test that says "THIS IS NOT A PERMIT TO DRIVE until driving test is taken" so I'm wondering if I'm dealing with the dumbest people that ever lived and then I asked for the insurance info. I asked the mother for her license and she of course didn't have it on her.

I look at the insurance info and there is three names and one of them aren't her. "Mam, is your daughter covered". She says "ummm, not really sure how this works with insurance and her stage of license". To which I said verbatim because I laughed for an hour to myself after saying it "you hit me from behind, with a 16yo unlicensed, uninsured minor and the permitted driver didn't bring it and you actually stopped me for what looks like $300-$500 worth of damage. I'm asking because when I tell this story to people, I want to make sure I have the facts right".

She looked so dumbfounded at that point and it confirmed that pretty much everyone thinks the other is at fault in an accident. Only once did I have an accident with an honest person and she got help from me.

This person was so stupid that I wanted her to pay just for being so dumb. I call my insurance company and with the pics and story alone, call 100% liability on her part which is great because it won't affect my rates no matter what. (You have to give enough notice to the person to the lane your changing to she said but the fact that she hit my tire on the passenger side and just above it, it shows she had plenty of time. Her damage was at the front to the right.

So anyone that has ever gotten some tickets can count the civil and criminal infractions alone are over a grand, forgetting the damage of which her insurance also today told me was 100% liability which means they have to pay for my car seat in the car. Because even if you're just tapped they pay you for a new car seat. Fixing my car and fixing her car (plus probably a $750 deductible with these winners).

I found out where she lived and went to speak to the father and said "listen, your wife needs to chill on strangers. I would be a little more careful with your daughter but I'm going to offer this one time and that's it. I'll drop my claim and promise not to bring any of the several infractions your daughter did (including driving without her glasses), wreckless driving, driving without a license (for the mother) and the coup which is a felony (driving unlicensed) if you agree to pay for every dollar that my body shop guy says is necessary.

He looked so pleased by my offer that he could cry. My guess is he beat them both. I hope not. Just the mother. KIDDING!

Sorry you asked right?

Yeah, I hear ya. All the states work a little different. They still have a test in the DMV office here and a road test that puts prospective drivers out in a variety of real world driving with an inspector. A class C license in New York is a commercial truck license. :)
Where in NY? I have a summer place @ Sag Harbor and my family is from all over the city, one in Dobbs Ferry and a father in Setauket on the island.

New York, rightfully, if memory serves was always a little harder than Florida (where I spent most of my youth). Florida was permit at 15 and driving at 16.

Epiphany just happened, I've become the old man mad at the bad driving youngster instead of the 15yo that used to steal his moms car. Lol! Dang, Driving at 15 doesn't sound right.

Her 15yo boyfriend and her raggedy mother was there.

She actually could have got away with it because with the radio on, the 4 in my SUV didn't even know we were hit. I was at a intersection with a red light and I needed to get over to the right and she (the permit driver who was a female 16yo) hit the back wheel passenger side of my tire.

My insurance company put her at complete fault (California is a "fault state") meaning they assign liability by percentage to each driver in an accident. She had pretty significant damage too. Not sure how we didn't hear it but we drove out. At the next light about a quarter mile down, the mother knocked on my door so loud that I almost want to break my window mechanism because she was so obnoxious.

Man, I really can't tell a short story. Sorry. Anyway, so the mother pounds on our window and says "so you thought you were gonna hit and run!l". Now picture the angriest, ugliest lady you've ever seen and that was at my window. We had several people in the car and it took me three seconds to figure out the daughter was driving and she had at best a permit.

Turns out, she didn't even have the permit yet, she only had taken the test.

I got in calm mode and said "okay let's just exchange everything" and she said "well what about the hit and run" to which I replied "I double dare you to call the police and report a hit and run, in fact, here use my phone". As it was becoming clearer I could see she was realizing how dumb she was being but I had no idea how much yet.

So I got back to exchanging and I asked the young girl to hand me her license and insurance.

License looked like a registration and I said "no. I don't need the reg, just the license" and she gives me her friggen passed DMV test that says "THIS IS NOT A PERMIT TO DRIVE until driving test is taken" so I'm wondering if I'm dealing with the dumbest people that ever lived and then I asked for the insurance info. I asked the mother for her license and she of course didn't have it on her.

I look at the insurance info and there is three names and one of them aren't her. "Mam, is your daughter covered". She says "ummm, not really sure how this works with insurance and her stage of license". To which I said verbatim because I laughed for an hour to myself after saying it "you hit me from behind, with a 16yo unlicensed, uninsured minor and the permitted driver didn't bring it and you actually stopped me for what looks like $300-$500 worth of damage. I'm asking because when I tell this story to people, I want to make sure I have the facts right".

She looked so dumbfounded at that point and it confirmed that pretty much everyone thinks the other is at fault in an accident. Only once did I have an accident with an honest person and she got help from me.

This person was so stupid that I wanted her to pay just for being so dumb. I call my insurance company and with the pics and story alone, call 100% liability on her part which is great because it won't affect my rates no matter what. (You have to give enough notice to the person to the lane your changing to she said but the fact that she hit my tire on the passenger side and just above it, it shows she had plenty of time. Her damage was at the front to the right.

So anyone that has ever gotten some tickets can count the civil and criminal infractions alone are over a grand, forgetting the damage of which her insurance also today told me was 100% liability which means they have to pay for my car seat in the car. Because even if you're just tapped they pay you for a new car seat. Fixing my car and fixing her car (plus probably a $750 deductible with these winners).

I found out where she lived and went to speak to the father and said "listen, your wife needs to chill on strangers. I would be a little more careful with your daughter but I'm going to offer this one time and that's it. I'll drop my claim and promise not to bring any of the several infractions your daughter did (including driving without her glasses), wreckless driving, driving without a license (for the mother) and the coup which is a felony (driving unlicensed) if you agree to pay for every dollar that my body shop guy says is necessary.

He looked so pleased by my offer that he could cry. My guess is he beat them both. I hope not. Just the mother. KIDDING!

Sorry you asked right?
It is a felony to drive unlicensed? What country do you live in?

Reactions: dirkclod
It is a felony to drive unlicensed? What country do you live in?
I assumed it's one.

You're right, in most states it's a class a or level 1 misdemeanor and becomes a felony on your 2nd or 3rd offense.

My faulty logic was how seriously they take "Driving with license suspended or revoked" that I figured it would be a worse offense to not even be licensed in the first place.

Again, stand corrected. It was for effect when I said it to the dad anyhow. ;)

*assuming you were just asking "it's a felony, what country do you live in" as a non-rhetorical question:

I thought it was but now I don't thin so and America.

Not in Australia infact CASA have opened their arms to drones under 2 kgs no licence no nothing

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If I understand correctly, initially the registration WAS free. I was holding off - my version of civil disobedience - but I read somewhere that a regular cop could ask you for your number and if you didn't have it, he could confiscate your 'copter. THAT I don't want, so I grudgingly registered it.

If they ever do try to take it away, I shall step on it first, so they can't auction it off later.

If I understand correctly, initially the registration WAS free. I was holding off - my version of civil disobedience - but I read somewhere that a regular cop could ask you for your number and if you didn't have it, he could confiscate your 'copter. THAT I don't want, so I grudgingly registered it.

If they ever do try to take it away, I shall step on it first, so they can't auction it off later.
Would be your loss .

uhhhh....yeahhhh
that's gonna be a tough warranty claim there when they don't take it after all

Last edited:
Why does this sound so familiar?
"Show me your papers!"
And when the revolution comes they will all say "I was only following orders".
Yup, and they'll be coming door-to-door to relieve us of our quadcopters. "Keep your guns, but hand over your quadcopters."

I like to think that if it goes too far, the fact that probably tens of thousands of owners, who've spent millions of dollars, collectively, will start to speak up. We didn't drop all that money to be told be can't use our investments.

It's fairly analogous to driving around without a registered car? Can it be done? Yes. Can you get it away with it for a while? Yes. But they want these things, sort of rightfully bound to us and for $5 for 3 years. I can promise you the price won't go down. Just do it.

We need a new Constitutional amendment protecting our drone rights!

Depending how far you stretch the constitution, we sort of do.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj