Drone smashed into the ground - why?

Yer things can not always be accurate, I never fully trust any auto control and will always land manually, i did not by a phantom for it to fly for me :)
Just try get used to doing everything yourself or be ready to take over when possible is the best way I see things, RTH was a fail safe but people tend to use it every flight..
But you did nothing wrong.. machines do fail or get errors out of the blue..
Nice area that near wakey, i flew it while over there for a meal, dont fly north of that castle near the lakes as it is ground to air restricted area due to the police helipad station and the helicopters do fly low there.

Something I use RTH when lazzy to get the bird back and take control back for final landing. In my case I was demoing functionality. I confirm with previous firmware RTH final descend was absolutely smooth as needed.

But since last firmware P4 will hard land or crash if RC inoperable.

Speaking as class 700 RC helicopter pilot so I'm used to fly all manual.

82f791e8ddd0031975aefeab20362932_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Update for you all - I sent it off to DJI and they repaired it.

"From the video and the flight record, the aircraft`s height control failed at the time which caused the aircraft landed with high-speed then crashed.

Conclusion:
free RMA."

Reactions: John1960
As they should. That did not look right. I never use RTH unless I lose control (hasn't happened yet). I only use it when I'm too lazy to fly it back, but when it is descending, I cancel and auto land it myself.
I always thought the RTH auto land was a bit rough.

Anyway, I've had bad height reading before. After a firmware reset and factory reset, I re-calculate the IMU and Gimbal and never had that issue again. I believe it's good practice after every firmware and software update.

Just a thought, but you were flying the aircraft basically right above you during descent. That's a no-no because of controller/aircraft radio reception problems; there is a DJI video on antenna positioning for best reception, and the say avoid flying aircraft directly above you. I think it is possible you had reception issues, resulting in Iaggy control response, prior to the crash.

Last edited:
I'm really glad that I read this, I was thinking it was just me but I've noticed height discrepancies on my P4 after I had updated the firmware on the quad and RC! I re calibrated everything and it seemed to go away, but recently I noticed it seems to come and go so I did a complete re cal again and it stopped for how long I don't know, I have never used RTH since I almost always hand catch now I don't know if I should test it carefully or not! I wish I had the source code for everything! Could probably rewrite the whole thing to a third it's original size and correct everything! LoL

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20