Drone Paranoia

Perhaps I haven't encountered enough people when I fly my Phantom 3, but everyone I cross paths with are nothing but interested about it. Then again, I don't fly over property (mine nor anybody else's) nor people either.

dirkclod said: Sorry MM but it’s not unless it has been metered. Wife works for USPS as a city carrier and have seen them Or heard her talk about it. They have issues during local elections with the candidates doing it. Pretty sure you be ok slipping something into a few . Guess it would depend on your carrier.

Always assumed that such a law applied just to the official USPS blue mailboxes the carrier picks up from. Didn't know it also applied to your own home mailbox, into which friends may drop off a note, lawnscaping flyers, local charity requests, UPS/Fed-Ex attempted delivery notifications, heating company fuel delivery receipts, etc. are all placed into it on a fairly regular basis with no stamp because it was hand delivered. My assumption is that the carriers are happy to NOT have to deliver these types of things if they don't have to. There may be an ancient law on the books regarding home mailboxes, but no one adheres or even attempts to enforce it... at least in any neighborhoods I have ever lived in. But thanks for the info, dirkclod. I'll have to ask my mail carrier the next time I see him.

dirkclod said: Sorry MM but it’s not unless it has been metered. Wife works for USPS as a city carrier and have seen them Or heard her talk about it. They have issues during local elections with the candidates doing it. Pretty sure you be ok slipping something into a few . Guess it would depend on your carrier.

Always assumed that such a law applied just to the official USPS blue mailboxes the carrier picks up from. Didn't know it also applied to your own home mailbox, into which friends may drop off a note, lawnscaping flyers, local charity requests, UPS/Fed-Ex attempted delivery notifications, heating company fuel delivery receipts, etc. are all placed into it on a fairly regular basis with no stamp because it was hand delivered. My assumption is that the carriers are happy to NOT have to deliver these types of things if they don't have to. There may be an ancient law on the books regarding home mailboxes, but no one adheres or even attempts to enforce it... at least in any neighborhoods I have ever lived in. But thanks for the info, dirkclod. I'll have to ask my mail carrier the next time I see him.
I left an invoice along with a self addressed envelope (for him to mail me his check) in a customers mailbox years ago.
The postal person took it and mailed me the invoice inside of the self addressed envelope, with a note saying that it is against postal regs.

Looking at the image you posted I think you should take this one on the chin. You could have got the image you needed without even needing to use your Phantom.

Have a need to hover low over your neighbors property ask first.

You should expect the possibility someone might be annoyed in these circumstances.

So, there are at least two stories this week about irate neighbors. I agree with comments that there's a bad rep and that the media is not helping one bit. That said, when I first got mine, I did fly out in front of the house and over my own house just to get used to things, but after a few times, I'd taken all the pictures and video I could of my own house, and now rarely fly near home unless I'm inspecting my gutters or something. I go out in the country, by lakes, places with permission, etc. That way, nobody hassles me. The few people I do come across in those locations are usually indifferent or actually interested in it . . . including cops on several occasions.

If your neighbors are jerks, don't give them the chance (or perceived reason) to practice their art, as it were.

Just a thought.

You should call the power company and have them make repairs. That’s your neutral connection, without it, all your 120 volt devices will instantly get 240 volts and burn up if on.
X lineman
As a side note, I had a neighbor stop at my house. She asked if I was the guy “with the drone”. I said yes, and she proceeded to tell me that I flew over her house while she was outside in her pajamas. She, being in her 60s to 70, I was polite and told her that I was not photographing her, and not to worry.lol

IT seems to be as bad here in the UK where we have at present much less regulation
though we are restricted to 250 foot now

Had a couple of idiots grumble about "Privacy " so I usually demonstrate the video I have recorded
Which as you all know on a P3 is wide angle and once about 50 feet people look like ants
this normally ends up them asking to fly it - where I smile and say Sorry against the law haven't filed any more flight plans so no more today and pack away (file plans on Airmap App on phone)

You don't get people putting flyers in your mail box? Perfectly legal.
Not so.... very illegal... the mailbox is strictly for USPS use.

Reactions: dirkclod
Yesterday I was flying my Phanton 3 Advanced from my back yard with the intent to take a few pictures of my house power line over the property right-of-way. Seems my adjacent neighbor's tree has grown over the power line and is pulling so hard the wires are tilting my power pole and popping the guide wire strands. I managed a few shots and landed next to my feet at the back of my house when my other neighbor behind me stands on a step to look over my six foot parimeter fence and yells "Did you find what you were looking for?"

"Yes," I answered him. "I was taking pictures of my power line in the tree"

Screeming loudly he tells me," If you ever go in my back yard again, you are in big, big trouble! You hear me? BIG TROUBLE!"

That flabbergasted me and I shouldn't have, but told him, "You really need to get a life!"

He has accused me of throwing trash over the fence into his yard before which is nonsense, too, but why do we have to have such ( Mod Removed ) for neighbors? I'm guessing we all have one... Well, that reminds me of last week:

I frequently fly my drone over the bay at my local county water-side park looking for schools of fish which is perfectly legal, when this guy grabs me by the shoulder and growels at me that I better not be taking pictures of his wife. WTF? I assured him I was not even aware his wife was around and that I was not filming or taking pictures of people. "Just be carefull," he snarled.

Is this paranoia growing? And it seems the news media is feeding into it. I'm afraid we hobbyists will soon have to give it up. I see where local municipalities are ignoring state and federal laws and enacting no-drone zones everywhere now.View attachment 110286View attachment 110287View attachment 110304
------------Kevin G-------Back growing up in the 70's --My interests were UP there ?---- and started out with rubber band airplanes and on to Electric such as Mattell-SUPER STAR-* airplanes and then gas ones and a couple R.C ones. NO Cameras back then! Just don't crash them on anyone! Or scare a nearby farmers cows or pigs!

Also...And this was throughput this time I had a growing interest in hot-air-balloons!....This really got my enthusiasm going!...I started building them from kits 9 ft tall and then on to building them myself from help from my Dad creating patterns for the gores / panels and using store bought tissue paper (Gift-Wrapping type)....Onwards and Upwards to 25 ft tall and using Elmer's Glue and the tissue paper actual cloth or some fabric for the mouth...(To help deter Fire)......Using a stove pipe in the ground and a hole next to it as a fire-pit, ...Using lots of my Dad's ol WallStreet Journals or any various newspapers started a fire and held the paper balloon over the stovepipe ..(Or later just a 50- Gal. drum-aka- backyard Trash-Barrel...

I did once tried connecting my Super-8 Movie Camera to a 15 ft tall paper balloon but it was just a little too heavy!.....To make a LONG STORY short at this point in time the Main concern from the Neighbors (And my parents) was causing a FIRE!).......or..one landing down in a busy highway causing an accident!.....Yessum! I had a few close calls!....I also loved to fly kites and launch Parachutes from them. A few landed in the next door neighbor's yard Or..on his old-style T.V Antennae....Screw up old ****'s TV reception during his Sunday afternoon Football Game!....

.It depended on the neighbors, what kind of people they were and how well you knew them.....No Real Worries or FEARS of TERRORISM or Suspicious Characters out and about with Nefarious intentions!...Like ANYONE WITH A CAMERA.....Now that may or may not include DRONES.
Those whom didn't actually exist UNTIL AFTER -9-11 and of course Bush told us ALL to be on guard and outlook for!......A certain Paranoia has came about. Times have changed and changed people and why bother going out when everything can be accomplished online and on the internet

I guess at 58 yrs old I'm fortunate enough to have experienced some of these hobbies and of course I've loved my flying! I even flew my own real hot air balloon from age 18 -22. I also took airplane flying lessons once too while I was 16 but stopped right at the point I was about to solo.....Now about once or twice a week I go out in my backyard and set sail my new (Refurbished) Phantom 3 Professional and occasionally catch a beautiful Sunset near Thumb Butte Mountain in Prescott,Az.....P.S I will post one of my Phantom flights soon (Video)

Attachments

• Jonesboro Paper hot air balloon.jpg
    Jonesboro Paper hot air balloon.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 201
  • Phantom Pro Klear1.gif
    Phantom Pro Klear1.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 244
  • Freedom Balloon Scanned.jpg
    Freedom Balloon Scanned.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
I guess we can thank the horrible news coverage this hobby gets. The only positive story I've seen in the last 2 years is "technology saving lives" when they talked about getting drones for surf lifesavers in my country.

RoOSTA

I guess we can thank the horrible news coverage this hobby gets. The only positive story I've seen in the last 2 years is "technology saving lives" when they talked about getting drones for surf lifesavers in my country.

RoOSTA
That and collecting whale snot.....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic