Drone Operators In Birmingham

Reaction score
Hey now, I'm trying to locate any or all drone pilots living in the Birmingham, Al. or surrounding areas within Jefferson County, to participate in a future parade event. Want to see if we can get into a parade with maybe a flat bed trailer (if it's enough of us) with a DJI sign on the front and sides of the truck, and fly our drones about 10' off the ground, on a parade route. If we could get 20-30 or more operators participating, can you imagine what that would look like, or imagine what that would sound like, all the drones flying together, coming down the street together, sounding like a hive of killer bees coming down the street. I would think that such an event would be go for DJI sales, and it would be great if we could get DJI to sponsor something like that. All I know is that as I imagine the event, that would be a site of epic proportions. Other DJI operators, not living within Jefferson County can chime in to give your thoughts on this type of an event. Thanks!

Reactions: Olival
Just a few thoughts to consider:
  • You should probably get permission from the city before attempting this
  • This is going to be a potentially extremely dangerous situation since you'll have a lot of pilots flying near obstacles and people

msinger nailed it .....

You will be in conflict of requirement to be xxx feet from any person or animal etc. etc.

I agree it would be awesome ... but think of another aspect.

Lets say you are on a moving 'float' ... and one of those drones has a RTH ... what will happen ? I understand you will be only feet from the AC ... but it can happen.

How are you going to assess each pilots ability to do this IF you could get permission from Fete organisers and Town Authorities ?

Would it need FAA waver ?

I know its not USA - but we looked at doing display drone stuff in our Flying Displays which we do for Towns in Latvia. It was decided even with our 'relaxed' rules compared to USA - it was not safe or realistic to try. We incorporated it into our designated Flight Area where people could come and watch before and after the parades.
In the parades - we mounted models / dressed up ... even threw paper airplanes with Club details on for people to join us.

Honest ... keep it safe and enjoy ... static display of the models is much better ...

Nigel

Just a few thoughts to consider:
  • You should probably get permission from the city before attempting this
  • This is going to be a potentially extremely dangerous situation since you'll have a lot of pilots flying near obstacles and people

Thank you so much for your response. Where there is a "will", there is a way! Yes, we will have to obtain a parade permit, with the permission from the city to do the event. I agree with the risk factors, but like with many things in life, there are certain risk that can be managed. With careful planning and directions, I believe that it can be done. If the "Thunder Birds", can do it with a low rate of accidents, flying directly over people's heads at those air shows!, I feel confident that what we purpose, can be done, we just need good planning and instructions. Definitely not going to throw caution to the wind here though. Thanks for your good insight.

msinger nailed it .....

You will be in conflict of requirement to be xxx feet from any person or animal etc. etc.

I agree it would be awesome ... but think of another aspect.

Lets say you are on a moving 'float' ... and one of those drones has a RTH ... what will happen ? I understand you will be only feet from the AC ... but it can happen.

How are you going to assess each pilots ability to do this IF you could get permission from Fete organisers and Town Authorities ?

Would it need FAA waver ?

I know its not USA - but we looked at doing display drone stuff in our Flying Displays which we do for Towns in Latvia. It was decided even with our 'relaxed' rules compared to USA - it was not safe or realistic to try. We incorporated it into our designated Flight Area where people could come and watch before and after the parades.
In the parades - we mounted models / dressed up ... even threw paper airplanes with Club details on for people to join us.

Honest ... keep it safe and enjoy ... static display of the models is much better ...

Nigel

Thanks for your response and I appreciate your cander. But if you will read my last post in response, you will sense what my thoughts are. As stated, not throwing caution to the wind. They told the Wright Brothers, that flight would and could never be achieved and that the risk were to great, but I'm glad they listen to the voice of reason, but still pressed forward. Look at us now! Flying all over the world, but it had to start somewhere, south risk present. Anything that could be great and ground breaking that has never been done will always be meet with reasonable criticism, but positive minds push forward. Thank you for your insight, and your words are greater considered. Thanks again!

I was giving you what transpired with our Club and we were invited to provide display flying and be in the parade.

I appreciate your idea and also your wish to 'push back the barriers' and I wish you luck in your applications to relevant authorities / bodies.

Yes - many aspects of life have been because of people not accepting words of caution. But the Wright Brothers were not actually told they could not attempt flight. They may have been told it would not work ... different thing.

Trouble is what you are considering has a known risk factor and that will be a serious decider in whether you can or not. As we found out - Fete organisers insurance limited so much anyway. Even if we could have insured ourselves - the type and location of flying would have voided it.

I for ***** 's sake hope there is no 'incident' IF they allow you to - the damage it could do to our hobby would be devastating.

Sorry if I sound negative - its basically because we got the Tee Shirt on it .... just passing on what we experienced.

Good luck.

Nigel

I appreciate your cander, I really do. And as I mentioned, Im not "throwing caution to the wind",
But I believe that it can be done. We will never learn what will work or what want until we try. Every failure know to man is, if we learn from it, is usually followed with something a little closure to the goal. I agree about the know risk factors, but in order to do this, we will have to carefully evaluate the situation, with considerations such as information you and others have shared. I'm not a foolish person, nowhere close too it and take more precautions in life than most, but we are on the brink of a ground breaking craft and events as to what our (craft) has to offer. Sigmund Freud sites that "Fear" is the beginning and the end to every dream, hope and purpose known and unknown to man. If our lives depended upon it, I'm sure we could solve many anomalys. Let's, work together in our craft, continue to consider the risk, evaluate new ideas, reason with like minds and each other and plan. This is the future which leads to success my friend. The fact that we are talking about this let's me know that "all things are possible, too him that beleiveth" I'm "keeping hope alive", and without hope, what do we have, nothing.

If you do manage to successfully pull this off, I'm pretty certain it'll be the riskiest flight ever attempted by a hobbyist anywhere in the world. Good luck and make sure all of the pilots have sufficient insurance (just in case).

Yes, we will do and if we are successful, which I believe we will, the success of it will cause enthusiast around the world to believe that much more beyond the unthinkable, and the unfathomable. We are many months away from this event, so we will use that time to consider all factors. Thanks for your wisdom and knowledge as we go forward. Failure for one can be felt by all just as the success of one can be inherited by all. Thanks again!

I assume from the discussion that you and your fellows are responsible flyers.

What I hope does not happen - is less able / responsible flyers try to do same.

Nigel

As you say, it seems to be a very shocking event, but do not forget to consider that 20 drones flying at 10' are going to cause a lot of wind and the drones are going to have problems making a smooth and controlled flight, consider it, and remember that safety is first, I hope your event is a total success

Perhaps some practice to see if it is even feasible. Some of the best intended plans in history, ended in disaster.

I'm sorry, but what? Every response from the op has mentioned some world changing event or tone... Mentioning the Wright brothers, talking about how we'll never know the true limitations and how all around the world pilots... Blah blah blah. Dude, you're talking about walking down the street flying a quad. Not just any quad, but one (or 30) that require gps to operate and can easily interfere, collide or go into rth. This isn't some great feat. It can easily go wrong and you can't guarantee what 30 other people will do in a given scenario - and you've got spectators. I don't mean to be mean, but this spectacle that you're picturing in your mind, the actual impact (positive) that a successful outcome could have on the hobby and actual impact (negative) that an unsuccessful outcome (likely) could have just don't weigh out. How about you do it in an open field or abandoned airport and work on getting really great video documentation of it - then you can show it to millions with all the awesome editing you want rather than putting a lot of people in unnecessary danger and getting some really bad publicity. I don't think the positive impact that you're dreaming about, even if successful, is going to be anywhere near what you think. I just wouldn't trust 30 other pilots, and especially phantom pilots (no offense - but it doesn't take much skill to fly, so you can have very little experience and still operate it, until something goes wrong). I'd rethink it, realistically.

Last edited:
Reactions: Firestar
Drones are in the spotlight now ,unfortunately a lot of people don’t understand them and are against them. If one thing goes wrong The next thing you’ll see is the city or county council writing ordinances against drones.
Do something to show the people of your area how drones are safe and managed responsibly.
And one other thing the FAA would come down real hard on you if something bad went wrong or even sometimes when it goes right.
If you decide to do this anyway take a baseball batting cage/net and put it over the whole thing.

Oh yes one of the thing ,if you go on ignore every response on here and just do it anyway, why ask?

As I said - we looked at doing it but shied away when the whole was looked at ..... it was just too much risk.

Nigel

Reactions: Firestar

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic