Drone lost in Seneca rocks West Virginia

I talked to the ranger for 45 minutes or so about what areas were legal to fly and whether it was ok to fly from next to the discovery center. He confirmed it was legal. There’s a large field behind the center where there are no pedestrians.

Wilderness areas to include Dolly Sods (a fav place for hiking just down the road) is not legal to fly or use any motorized equipment at all, not even for rangers or rescue.

The rock may be 900’ above the valley, but the terrain slopes up to it so I wasn’t more than 300’ or so above the ground.
I just flew there Friday. I took off on the small public road in the gap. I was totally thrilled flying around the rock. What a view. Almost a 1000ft. high and only 3 ft. wide in places at the top. I got some pictures and video, but I'm at an outdoor concert and fireworks show now.

well, I got a nice Lowe Pro backpack on a B&H Deal of the Day. I brought the P3 on a trip to Lodge at Torrey Pines in La Jolla this July 4 week. I was so looking forward to flying every day at Sunset along the cliffs. First night, a couple stiff drinks and a long day, missed sunset. 2nd day, dinner at George's in La Jolla. Rushed back, missed the sunset, but set up to fly at dusk near the Gliderport. Controller... dead. Not just out of battery... dead to the world. So, no flying. Total buzz kill. I vaguely recall dropping it... lightly in the kitchen. Doesn't take much I guess. Now, I gotta find someone with a P3 4k controller who lost their bird. I guess it's my bird punishing me for dropping it in the forest.

I'm so happy for you Macfawlty that your drone was recovered!! I can't begin to imagine how you felt....... I'm going through the area next week. I know that Seneca Rocks is in the Monongahela National Forest but, isn't it against the law to fly in that particular area due to it being called a National Recreation Area? I would live to fly my MA over there as well as Spruce Knob. IU would appreciate your feedback. Thanks, Ray

Last edited:
I'm so happy for you Macfawlty that your drone was recovered!! I can't begin to imagine how you felt....... I'm going through the area next week. I know that Seneca Rocks is in the Monongahela National Forest but, isn't it against the law to fly in that particular area due to it being called a National Recreation Area? I would live to fly my MA over there as well as Spruce Knob. IU would appreciate your feedback. Thanks, Ray
The Dolly Sods Wilderness area does not allow anything Motorized. But Seneca Rocks Recreation area is not in the Dolly Sods Wilderness and it is legal to fly there. Just be aware that there are a lot of climbers and hikers. Best not to fly too close to the climbing areas during the day so as not to annoy or distract climbers. The late afternoon is a great time to fly as the sun sets over the ridge on the opposite side of the valley to the cliff face and the light quality is really good. You can fly from behind the Discovery Center or hike up the trail and continue past the viewing platform. Best not to launch from the viewing platform where the people hang out.

There is also a cliff face on the back side facing the ridge line which doesn’t get many climbers. It would be in best light mid-morning. That’s a really nice flying area as well, best launched from the top of the cliffs beyond the viewing platform. Of course, you have to hike up.

The sun rising and setting provides some really cool opportunities for cinematic shots. The top of the cliff line is great for revealing shots from the craggy cliff to sunrise/sunset. Be sure to have ND32 and 64 on hand as you’ll be flying close to objects and will need that cinematic motion blur.

I can’t wait to get back there. It’s one of the best sites for drone filming you’ll find in the mid-Atlantic.

BTW, I got an M2P last fall to replace my P3, which took a little dip in the water at Harpers Ferry. I didn’t have time to wait for a repair before the end of the fall season and it seemed like a good opportunity to upgrade. As a result, I’ve been posting more on the Mavic forum.

Since your first post, I have flown there 3 times. My cousin’s camp is upstream bordering the property.
There are many climbers on the back side. They were there every time I have flown. They are hard to see. “ Always be very respectful “ as it is a sensitive area for us to fly in. They can shut us out at anytime. The workers there are local raised people and are lenient and kind when it comes to rules.

Since we have turned this into a Seneca Rock discussion, I feel free to post my video take. It might give you some ideas for your own video.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Dolly Sods Wilderness area does not allow anything Motorized. But Seneca Rocks Recreation area is not in the Dolly Sods Wilderness and it is legal to fly there. Just be aware that there are a lot of climbers and hikers. Best not to fly too close to the climbing areas during the day so as not to annoy or distract climbers. The late afternoon is a great time to fly as the sun sets over the ridge on the opposite side of the valley to the cliff face and the light quality is really good. You can fly from behind the Discovery Center or hike up the trail and continue past the viewing platform. Best not to launch from the viewing platform where the people hang out.

There is also a cliff face on the back side facing the ridge line which doesn’t get many climbers. It would be in best light mid-morning. That’s a really nice flying area as well, best launched from the top of the cliffs beyond the viewing platform. Of course, you have to hike up.

The sun rising and setting provides some really cool opportunities for cinematic shots. The top of the cliff line is great for revealing shots from the craggy cliff to sunrise/sunset. Be sure to have ND32 and 64 on hand as you’ll be flying close to objects and will need that cinematic motion blur.

I can’t wait to get back there. It’s one of the best sites for drone filming you’ll find in the mid-Atlantic.

BTW, I got an M2P last fall to replace my P3, which took a little dip in the water at Harpers Ferry. I didn’t have time to wait for a repair before the end of the fall season and it seemed like a good opportunity to upgrade. As a result, I’ve been posting more on the Mavic forum.

Thank you for taking the time in explaining the best way to go about flying there. I always respect the areas that I fly in therefore, I sincerely appreciate you forwarding your experience in this area. I wasn't sure due to being in a National Recreational area. Looks to be an awesome place to fly in and I certainly will not get too close to bother anyone. I shoot 4K 30fps with my MA 100% of the time therefore, I can zoom in quite a bit in Final Cut Pro and use a 1080p timeline. Both, being respectful and following the law has kept me from any issues so far. This is why I really enjoy this forum hearing from real world drone flyers along with constantly learning something new all the time. Thanks again and enjoy your M3P. Happy Flying !! Ray :)

Last edited:
Since your first post, I have flown there 3 times. My cousin’s camp is upstream bordering the property.
There are many climbers on the back side. They were there every time I have flown. They are hard to see. “ Always be very respectful “ as it is a sensitive area for us to fly in. They can shut us out at anytime. The workers there are local raised people and are lenient and kind when it comes to rules.

Since we have turned this into a Seneca Rock discussion, I feel free to post my video take. It might give you some ideas for your own video.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Awesome video! It's common practice for me to follow the law along with being respectful to others around where I fly. I will definitely watch out for the climbers and visitors in keeping my distance. Thanks again for posting the awesome video. Happy Flying, Ray :)

True, there are climbers all over Seneca Rocks. The back side has great routes as well. I didn't know about the caves. There are so many cinematic moves to practice at Seneca. I like flying more than climbing, but given the smaller M2P easily fits in a small pack, I could easily combine them. Seneca Rocks and Dolly Sods have everything you could want in a outdoor recreation area. I should get there more often. Have you flown at Harpers Ferry, WV? Good launch spot on the bluff above the town adjacent to the abandoned hotel. I'm gonna take my kayak next time and fly from the river, the only other launch area that's not in the park.

True, there are climbers all over Seneca Rocks. The back side has great routes as well. I didn't know about the caves. There are so many cinematic moves to practice at Seneca. I like flying more than climbing, but given the smaller M2P easily fits in a small pack, I could easily combine them. Seneca Rocks and Dolly Sods have everything you could want in a outdoor recreation area. I should get there more often. Have you flown at Harpers Ferry, WV? Good launch spot on the bluff above the town adjacent to the abandoned hotel. I'm gonna take my kayak next time and fly from the river, the only other launch area that's not in the park.
I've climbed into that cave more than once. It's big and not a true limestone cave.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31