Drone License Long Island

Reaction score
How many people actually have the drone license? Is it really worth getting for recreation if you follow common sense rules? Or is it mainly there to cover your *** if you get caught flying somewhere that you are not supposed to be? Parts of this test seem unnecessary for hobbyists. Are the laws stricter on Long Island than other areas? Thanks.

How many people actually have the drone license? Is it really worth getting for recreation if you follow common sense rules? Or is it mainly there to cover your *** if you get caught flying somewhere that you are not supposed to be? Parts of this test seem unnecessary for hobbyists. Are the laws stricter on Long Island than other areas? Thanks.

Part 107 is not going to help you if you get caught flying where you shouldn't. It's primarily to be able to operate outside the recreational rules in terms of use of photos and videos, and to be able to get authorizations/waivers for specific purposes.

I actually fly on long island too. I don't have a license but I've never had an issue.

I would recommend that you follow the FAA rules, the Fish & Wildlife Rules, your community's rules, and all other rules. Your common sense rules would be at the bottom of the list. The FAA Part 107 sUAS Commercial Rating does not "cover" you from any liability and is actually more restrictive then operating as a hobbiest under FAA Part 101.
The FAA Airspace rules on Long Island run the gamut from Class B, through Class G. There is also National Seashore, controlled by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife service.
Here is a link to an FAA Sectional Chart of the Long Island area. Fell free to ask any questions you may have.
VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

The part 107 certification (not a license) is mainly for commercial work. Hobby fliers do not need this... in fact it will restrict you. Part 107 holders may have to get a waiver to fly where a hobby flier can do so with no waivers. On the flip side, a part 107 holder may be able to get a waiver for an area a hobby flier couldn't go. 95% of hobby fliers do not need the part 107 certificate.

FAA info on part 107 - https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/AC_107-2_AFS-1_Signed.pdf

So in other words, if I'm flying for a hobby I don't need one
Unless you plan to use your UAV for commercial purposes you will most likely never need a 107 cert.

Reactions: cfd701
Even if you fly for hobby only you need a UAV Cert #. It is only $5.00 from the FAA.
That's an FAA pilot registration # and after the recent court ruling, those aren't needed anymore.

Reactions: russellnomer

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic