Drone images strange

Reaction score
Hello,

First off all thanks for reading this.

It might be my eye's but i believe my P3P is more "Focused" than my P4.

Here is what i mean :

09912610bdd82f3ba07884614a9c5d4012ec612f41bfaa8159c4ee3d288c466baf12254b.jpg

19668820bfa99083b5b349c5a8cf82e7b553d4de83770156484f93b9b5a6a3252206c42e.jpg

Is this quality strange or is it normal. It also can be my eyes but for me the focus is not that great.

All cam settings are at default / Center focused.

And if it's not default what can we do about it to get it work normal? i think it's the same issue some people had before and they did things with the lens but i don't really feel comfortable with it.

Edit: Footage is from SD

Last edited:
Reactions: DannyC6319
I get this a lot on my P3A. At first you can't notice, but when you zoom in on the sides of the pics it starts to bend. No idea why it happens. Sometimes you notice it, other times you don't

It might be my eye's but i believe my P3P is more "Focused" than my P4.
Is this quality strange or is it normal. It also can be my eyes but for me the focus is not that great.
If you want to compare, you really need the photos to be of the same scene and in the same lighting.
I can't see any focus problems in either of those images at the size they show up.
All cam settings are at default / Center focused.
And if it's not default what can we do about it to get it work normal? i think it's the same issue some people had before and they did things with the lens but i don't really feel comfortable with it.
There is no focus in either the P3 or P4 cameras.
There is nothing you can do.

The same thing happens to my phantom 3 standard. The image is slightly out of focus on the sides of the picture or video. I think it’s just how the camera is to be honest .

Is the P4 Pro, the only version of the Phantom that does allow for Focus? With it you have have AF and MF options, identical to the Mavic PP and Mavic Pro.

The bending, is distortion, mainly retro focus, distortion, common with many wides and the P4 camera 20MP version has it quite a bit. Lens also has quite a bit of barrel distortion, which you can correct in post, LR and ACR have a good correction profile, however the files open without anything. I have tried both the Inspire1 and P4 and prefer the Inspire 1 lens profile.

Paul Caldwell

If you want to compare, you really need the photos to be of the same scene and in the same lighting.
I can't see any focus problems in either of those images at the size they show up.

There is no focus in either the P3 or P4 cameras.
There is nothing you can do.

You can make the picture bigger clicking on it.

Besides that i'm aware about the fact that there is no focus option but i was reading much about 'focus' issues.

They fixed it by focussing it manual and looks great.

As said it might be just me but it looks like i can see pixels really well.

When i'm filming i don't experience this issue.

Might just be my opinion I will put them both in the air soon and make pictures.

I think using filters will make it what I want to see, I bought them and will soon see.

I get this a lot on my P3A. At first you can't notice, but when you zoom in on the sides of the pics it starts to bend. No idea why it happens. Sometimes you notice it, other times you don't

You mean the 'fish eye' effect? Found a fix for that made for the p2 but also works on other things

If you want to check focus, don't look at leaves and grass shot from a distance.
Shoot something like brickwork at 15-20 feet in a well lit situation.
I think using filters will make it what I want to see, I bought them and will soon see.
Filters are of no use in still photography for a Phantom and certainly won't do anything for focus issues.

Filters do come in handy for stills if you use a polarizer. Both in water to cut glare but also on leaves of trees which can look much better when polarized. Of course sky can also greatly benefit.

Problem on the Phantom is the only polarized only filter I found is from Tiffen and is a bit heavy. The ones from Polarpro are much lighter but all seem to have polaizer ND combos.

Paul Caldwell

Filters do come in handy for stills if you use a polarizer. Both in water to cut glare but also on leaves of trees which can look much better when polarized. Of course sky can also greatly benefit.
It's very hard to use a polariser on a drone because you would have to bring it in and realign it any time you wanted to shoot from a different angle.

Actually for me it’s only a big an issue on a pan. The polarized filters all seems to align to the max polarized position when screwed in. But as with any wide angle lens as you pan it across a shot the polarized effect will change.

As long as you fly with the sensor horizontal position as is only allowed by P4 results are good at least from my shots.

I agree with your point about rotation of the polarized filter for optimum results and angle to the sun. But for water glare nothing beats it.

And on a bright sunny day the cut effect on leaves can be nice also.

I just throw it out as an option as there no way to recreate the effect in post.

The retro focus distortion and barrel distortion of the P4 lens is a bigger issue for me. But it’s just part of any wide angle lens without a symmetrical design. But it’s still the best 20mp solution out there and when dialed in can produce wonderful stills and panos.

Paul Caldwell

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4