Drone hits empire state building nyc

FYI if it against FAA guidelines that makes it illegal, ALL of NYC is a nofly zone without permit if memory serves me correctly

Not under the FAA's jurisdiction. I think you are confusing lawful NFZs and NY making a local law against not being able to operate a drone.

I won't go into details as it's been discussed to death but the FAA regulates what is in their airspace. Only the FAA has this right. Other entities can regulate you as a person standing on their ground. SO local lawmakers can tell you that you can't operate a drone while standing on their property but they cannot say a drone can't be above their ground.

Reactions: mmtphoto
I think everyone should fly in there backyards and keep the drone in eye sight. Lol it's crazy how everyone bad mouths these people that are just enjoying there drone trying to get some great videos.

You are clearly using an absurd comparison as an incorrect representation of what some people posted.

No one is against flying in a _safe_ manner in most places where you want to fly. What we are against is people flying in a _reckless_ and _dangerous_ manner. Flying above a ton of people in a very small air at such a height is very dangerous. What could go wrong? Well, you could lose control of your drone and hit a building. I think he's lucky it did not then fall onto or next to someone.

The result, additional and greater regulations against drone flyers. Perhaps enough that we'd only be able to fly in our backyards.

He broke no "LAW"
FAR 91.13
"No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another."

This is a Federal Statute.

Law:
1. the system of rules that a particular country or community recognizes as regulating the actions of its members and may enforce by the imposition of penalties."they were taken to court for breaking the law"

Yes he did and yes it's clearly a law. This has been pointed out in this thread already:
Drone hits empire state building nyc

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Gonna go with common sense on that one.... It's after 9/11 law enforcement is already stressed and under public screewtiny. Legal or not legal it's a douchebag move and makes all of us look like blithering idiots.

Reactions: mmtphoto
I think everyone should fly in there backyards and keep the drone in eye sight. Lol it's crazy how everyone bad mouths these people that are just enjoying there drone trying to get some great videos. Put him in jail really??? If dji hadn't put the geo fencing everywhere he would of been cleared there and 400 feet is not a law so put him in jail for what ??? How about stick up for other drone users and and the right to fly in this FREE country where u would like.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Stick up for these people? These are the people that are going to get our hobby banned. Why would I stick up for them? This was just some guy enjoying flying his drone and trying to get great video at the risk of peoples safety. We have the Privilege of flying in this FREE country but not at the risk of someones safety. I am all for the right to bear arms but I wouldn't stick up for someone that starts shooting a gun in the middle of Times Square.

Stick up for these people? These are the people that are going to get our hobby banned. Why would I stick up for them? This was just some guy enjoying flying his drone and trying to get great video at the risk of peoples safety. We have the Privilege of flying in this FREE country but not at the risk of someones safety. I am all for the right to bear arms but I wouldn't stick up for someone that starts shooting a gun in the middle of Times Square.
I agree with u the guy is possibly a idiot!!! But can u honestly say u have never flown over a building or a person before?? You've never broken any rule?? I see pics and videos of people in the city all the time. We can't control what other people do but if it was a building that wasn't in a no fly zone would it have been ok then? The guy is a idiot for crashing his drone but a lot of people on here would of liked and said how great his video is if he didn't crash. Definitely not sticking up for what he did but there's nothing I can do and new laws are going to be passed regardless if people act stupid or not.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Fir3b1rd
Just my 2 cents, I am a noob, but GPS flight at 350 5th ave in NYC probably is not great, and the 40th floor is surely over 400 feet-plus I have no doubt there had to be a lot of foot traffic in that area, and have you ever driven on 5th Ave.? At almost any time of day or night, it is gridlocked with cars. This was NOT a smart thing to do, and it should not be sanctioned or defended by anyone who cares about flying UAV's.

40th floor? Approximately 15 feet per floor. 40 x 15 = 600. He has violated the FAA 400' rule. He should be charged accordingly. And throw in some reckless endangerment too. MAYBE if they start enforcing some of these laws people will think twice about doing stupid things like this. Until there is serious enforcement people are going to keep pushing their luck which is eventually going to lead to someone getting hurt, which is going to lead to stricter rules or even banishment of our hobby.
Considering the street activity surrounding that building it's not likely he took off from a sidewalk. It's more likely he took off from the window of some nearby building -- or possibly from a window somewhere in that very building.

Or London.

I see he was also charged with criminal mischief. That usually is used for graffiti.

Last edited:
Are there any laws? There will be .. many. It takes one fool like this. A Phantom crashed on the White House lawn. Now no one can fly in DC for 30-miles (upped from 15) around RR Washington Airport. Over 30 drone clubs were shut down in the DC area. The District of Columbia is a NFZ. The Feds were totally blindsided by the drone wave which led to "registration" .. they wanted a count. These things can be flown into jet intakes with a stick of dynamite strapped onboard or into the "side of a building". Flying over the top of people was required in this instance. Grateful the 35th floor caught it. Bummer if it had plummeted into some people or cars. Terrorists are more concerned with terror than death. Think of what could be dropped on people that would ruin their day. Should there be a terrorist attack using drones we could see all UAS grounded.

Sounds like the initial story was very different from what may have happened.

Not Part of Video’s Script: An Arrest for Flying a Drone - sUAS News

Claims he got permission to fly from 2 cops and he actually only got up to the 6th floor and it crashed on to a landing on the 5th floor...cost $3000 (yikes). Leave it to the media to sensationalize it as much as they could, Now I kind of feel bad for the guy but It seems to defy common sense to fly a drone anywhere in Manhattan.

Did anyone notice that the picture of the drone is a tiny, toy micro drone that doesn't even fall under the FAA'S guidelines?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20