Drone hits empire state building nyc

No-one was injured .... but how is the building?

Chief Investigative Reporter Jonathan Dienst who reports on crime, corruption and terrorism devoted his impressive talents to bring us this important story.
In other news, Dennis lost his football when he accidentally kicked it over Mr Wilson's fence.

When is something as trivial as this going to be completely ignored as it should be?
But I give them bonus points for using a file photo of a non-Phantom drone.
That one looks particularly menacing.

Smart? No
Against FAA Guidelines? Yes
Illegal? ? I don't think so? (But I'm not sure)

So there is no law against flying in a populated area over there? I assumed it was actually a law in place...maybe there haven't been enough accidents yet and it's still to come.

Isn't it illegal to fly in populated areas though?
isnt it illegal to drink drive but millions of people still do that believe it or not!!Any drone incident is going to get totally blown out of all proportion over the next year or so people are just waiting for a big incident!! it probably happened when the car was first introduced to the roads and look how safe they are!!!

No need to worry, they will find something to charge him with. If nothing else "public endangerment" . Wasn't downtown NYC listed as a NFZ area?

So there is no law against flying in a populated area over there? I assumed it was actually a law in place...maybe there haven't been enough accidents yet and it's still to come.
In the UK yes, the CAA stipulate that you can't fly within 50m of people or buildings "you don't have control over". I believe you can apply for exemptions to this.

Truth is, the CAA can only hope to control commercial operators and in general, these know and can apply the law. Little Freddie, 16, and with his P3 just out of the box, isn't going to know about, or care, if he contravenes every rule in the book. It's human nature to want to explore and drones simply make this more possible than ever before.
Isn't it illegal to fly in populated areas though?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

So there is no law against flying in a populated area over there?
No. But, the FAA can come after you for doing anything unsafe. And, flying in a populated area is most certainly unsafe.

Reactions: snerd
Reckless endangerment

2nd degree is a year in Rikers, 1st degree is 2-7 in NY State, with no regard of any prior record.

Depraved indifference and substantial risk to potential injury would be key phrases in the law.
The remaining phrases are Physical and Severe physical injury which apparently didn't happen fortunately.

Not a great undertaking especially in downtown New York City. I'd not want to be the precedent for case law on drones in New York City. Won't likely be much sympathy with the public.

Reactions: Sagebrush
Not going to lie, I considered getting some shots of 1 World Trade by launching from across the river on the NJ side, but like @Air Ontario said, I definitely don't want to be the precedent for case law here. Not to mention NYC cops are ball breakers.

Reactions: Air Ontario
No need to worry, they will find something to charge him with. If nothing else "public endangerment" . Wasn't downtown NYC listed as a NFZ area?
Only a part of NYC Midtown is a NFZ ( I think in the UN area) other than that no. In fact there are parts of central park you fly but it's trivial because the police do not know the laws so they can just charge you with "Wreck less Endangerment". I live in NYC and i go fly in Flushing Meadow Corona park all the time. The park is roughly 1 mile from Laguardia Airport, but they have a "Helipad" and the park rangers and their website say it's OK to fly there. I fly with caution and not above 200 feet. The Airplane traffic does not cross on top of the park so it's pretty safe to fly there IMHO. There are some sites that say you can go and fly in Battery park which is the southern tip of the Island(Manhattan). You can see freedom tower and all the cool skyscraper. As much as I would love to fly in Battery park and no that they do not have NFZ and I would be flying over water. The headache is not worth it. I do not gain anything by doing.

Says he's expected to face criminal charges.. What would he be charged with?

FAR 91.13
"No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another."

In that he _hit_ the building should be enough but it's also a _highly_ public area below.

I have _no_ issue with this person being charged. He took this risk and knew he was taking it. He now needs to pay the price. I can't see how flying in that area would be anything but reckless. A message is needed be sent that this type of flying is not acceptable.

I'll be in in downtown NY in a couple of days. Not even thinking about taking my drone (and I usually do).

It's not like anyone is around this building, right.

upload_2016-2-5_8-21-19.png

FAR 91.13
"No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another."

In that he _hit_ the building should be enough but it's also a _highly_ public area below.

I have _no_ issue with this person being charged. He took this risk and knew he was taking it. He now needs to pay the price. I can't see how flying in that area would be anything but reckless. A message is needed be sent that this type of flying is not acceptable.

I'll be in in downtown NY in a couple of days. Not even thinking about taking my drone (and I usually do).

It's not like anyone is around this building, right.

View attachment 42910
That photo represents a 'light' day. There are frequently even more pedestrians & cars than that photo shows. The risk is not worth the reward in this case.

In NYC you cannot land or launch a UAV except in an approved area. That's what they get you for - on top of reckless endangerment. They nailed the Macy's Day Drone on the that charge.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20