Drone hits empire state building nyc

So was the pilot was registered or not?? Funny how the media was all about a "registration crackdown" back in December... then two months pass and the question doesn't even make it into this news article. If he becomes the first person to be charged with being unregistered you can bet the media and FAA will light him up as the poster-boy of near-death and destruction.

Was it a dji drone? Im just curious.

Gotta admit my 20year old self would find it amusing; but, my 40 year old self not so much.

So was the pilot was registered or not?? Funny how the media was all about a "registration crackdown" back in December... then two months pass and the question doesn't even make it into this news article. If he becomes the first person to be charged with being unregistered you can bet the media and FAA will light him up as the poster-boy of near-death and destruction.
It's not February 19, 2016 yet. That's the day you have to be registered by.
Yes .. I know that if it was bought after Dec 21, it has to be registered before first flight - but there's no way to prove when it was bought.

I won't be registered on Feb 19th. That's for sure.

Not a crusade or anything...just planning to park the birds given all this BS for a while so won't need it. Eventually I might. We'll see.
Might save them for some purpose further down the road.....

I'm thinking that one way or another, flying these things is becoming a liability....sadly....as much fun as it is.
Too many people spooked by too much bad publicity. Between the "drone shootin nuts", the local restrictions and the sense that even an honest mishap or seemingly innocent flight could bring serious consequences, it's time to weigh the pros and cons. Can you say "l-i-a-b-i-l-i-t-y"?

What if my bird does a fly away and hurts someone? What if it goes berserk and hits a car even? Or heads towards the nearest airport all on it's own? Screwed, screwed and royally screwed. I don't think there'll be much mercy out there in this environment.

I'm self grounding at this point. Blackhawk down. Seems the wise choice to me. I'll enjoy the hobby vicariously through you guys until the hostility subsides a bit....if and when.

See? I avoided registration :D

upload_2016-2-5_8-21-19-png.42910

wait a minute....are those................ zombies ?
Looks like a Beatles album cover to me.........

I won't be registered on Feb 19th. That's for sure.

Not a crusade or anything...just planning to park the birds given all this BS for a while so won't need it. Eventually I might. We'll see.
Might save them for some purpose further down the road.....

I'm thinking that one way or another, flying these things is becoming a liability....sadly....as much fun as it is.
Too many people spooked by too much bad publicity. Between the "drone shootin nuts", the local restrictions and the sense that even an honest mishap or seemingly innocent flight could bring serious consequences, it's time to weigh the pros and cons. Can you say "l-i-a-b-i-l-i-t-y"?

What if my bird does a fly away and hurts someone? What if it goes berserk and hits a car even? Or heads towards the nearest airport all on it's own? Screwed, screwed and royally screwed. I don't think there'll be much mercy out there in this environment.

I'm self grounding at this point. Blackhawk down. Seems the wise choice to me. I'll enjoy the hobby vicariously through you guys until the hostility subsides a bit....if and when.

See? I avoided registration :D

Don't give in.
I carry 2 million liability and fly responsibly.
The insurance lawyers can worry for me. It's why I pay the premiums.

Unfortunately due to knot heads flying into terrain like the Empire State Building, they are likely to go up.

Reactions: wolvesfc
Don't give in.
I carry 2 million liability and fly responsibly.
The insurance lawyers can worry for me. It's why I pay the premiums.

Unfortunately due to knot heads flying into terrain like the Empire State Building, they are likely to go up.

I don't want to risk my other FAA "privileges" :)

40th floor? Approximately 15 feet per floor. 40 x 15 = 600. He has violated the FAA 400' rule. He should be charged accordingly. And throw in some reckless endangerment too. MAYBE if they start enforcing some of these laws people will think twice about doing stupid things like this. Until there is serious enforcement people are going to keep pushing their luck which is eventually going to lead to someone getting hurt, which is going to lead to stricter rules or even banishment of our hobby.

I love the...the FAA can come after you...posts. What exactly for and backed behind what law exactly? I am truly for punishing jackhammers that do stupid things and endanger people but in order to do something there has to be a statute.. Statutes for the federal government in the United States are specific. They aren't nebulous like... Well it's not a law but they can come after you... No.. They can't. Remember the FAA is a federal agency. They don't enforce city ordinances, HOA LAWS, city bylaws... Etc.. They have a specific function governed by federal statutes. That's it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Truly who wants the Feds going after this guy? Seriously? The FAA has more important things to do. The local PD has more important things to do. I'm betting $1000 that the FBI guys who responded to that are getting laughed at in their field office.

Reactions: stulpin300m
FAR 91.13
"No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another."

In that he _hit_ the building should be enough but it's also a _highly_ public area below.

I have _no_ issue with this person being charged. He took this risk and knew he was taking it. He now needs to pay the price. I can't see how flying in that area would be anything but reckless. A message is needed be sent that this type of flying is not acceptable.

I'll be in in downtown NY in a couple of days. Not even thinking about taking my drone (and I usually do).

It's not like anyone is around this building, right.

View attachment 42910
In a city such as New York, the buildings block GPS until you are way above them. There are probably lots of interference sources also. Lots of potential for issues leading to crashes.

40th floor? Approximately 15 feet per floor. 40 x 15 = 600. He has violated the FAA 400' rule. He should be charged accordingly. And throw in some reckless endangerment too. MAYBE if they start enforcing some of these laws people will think twice about doing stupid things like this. Until there is serious enforcement people are going to keep pushing their luck which is eventually going to lead to someone getting hurt, which is going to lead to stricter rules or even banishment of our hobby.
He broke no "LAW"

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think everyone should fly in there backyards and keep the drone in eye sight. Lol it's crazy how everyone bad mouths these people that are just enjoying there drone trying to get some great videos. Put him in jail really??? If dji hadn't put the geo fencing everywhere he would of been cleared there and 400 feet is not a law so put him in jail for what ??? How about stick up for other drone users and and the right to fly in this FREE country where u would like.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Smart? No
Against FAA Guidelines? Yes
Illegal? ? I don't think so? (But I'm not sure)
FYI if it against FAA guidelines that makes it illegal, ALL of NYC is a nofly zone without permit if memory serves me correctly

Not going to lie, I considered getting some shots of 1 World Trade by launching from across the river on the NJ side, but like @Air Ontario said, I definitely don't want to be the precedent for case law here. Not to mention NYC cops are ball breakers.
I've done some pretty cool shots with a P2 across the Hudson from Liberty State Park and never had an issue but it's over a mile and windy. I wouldn't get too far into NY state side as NYPD acts first in these situations.
Never got to fly with my P3 but I'm sure it could make the trek if you launched from the south side of the park. The last time I flew there was the day after a bomb threat and they told me to pack it in. I saw the writing on the wall and can understand the trepidation others feel at wonton law enforcement. That being said, most of NYC is no fly zones due to the myriad airports in the immediate vicinity and you would have to be a very good pilot to fly between the wind tunnel of two skyscrapers.

I take it that this isn't a no fly zone

I love the...the FAA can come after you...posts. What exactly for and backed behind what law exactly? I am truly for punishing jackhammers that do stupid things and endanger people but in order to do something there has to be a statute.. Statutes for the federal government in the United States are specific. They aren't nebulous like... Well it's not a law but they can come after you... No.. They can't. Remember the FAA is a federal agency. They don't enforce city ordinances, HOA LAWS, city bylaws... Etc.. They have a specific function governed by federal statutes. That's it.

I'm not sure you have read up at all about the prior and current court cases where the FAA has done _exactly_ that. Not only are their current and clear regulations for aircraft being operated in airspace, that UAVs are aircraft, but also (as mentioned) the FAA _has_ brought charges against people for reckless flying (search for Pirker).

There are also a _ton_ of local lawmakers making laws against flying drones. These are illegal as the FAA has sole jurisdiction over airspace but many of those local laws control the person flying the UAV so they don't trample on the FAA's jurisdiction.

So there is a ton of law/regulations/statues against the use of drones. Including in NY.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl