Drone Deploy

I attempted to fly a map I had loaded on Drone Deploy...Using a Phantom 4A the op started and the drone went about 100 yards and stopped and would only hoover...brought it back and restarted every thing...same result 3 times...contacted support and ran a firmware update at their suggestion...same result...Just for kicks I tried the op with a Zoom I had with...started fine and stopped at the same spot...on the zoom controller I noticed a mag interference warning...any thoughts or suggestions?

I had the same problem using Map Pilot using a Phantom 4 Pro v2.0 The solution was to turn off obstacle avoidance. This solved the problem. I don't know if this would work with drone deploy but may be worth trying. Incidentally I found Map Pilot to be a much better app for mapping than drone deploy

I had the same problem using Map Pilot using a Phantom 4 Pro v2.0 The solution was to turn off obstacle avoidance. This solved the problem.

Interesting. I have been suffering abrupt Map Pilot mission endings with my P4P (v1). I turned off Object Avoidance a long time ago, but have allowed "Vision Positioning" and "Precision Landing" to remain enabled. This abrupt mission exiting is a new development, as I've flown literally hundreds of missions with this bird with no problems. Over half those missions were Map Pilot missions.

So this post got me to thinking that MAYBE my Vision Positioning sensors are getting worn or have been damaged (no hard landings so far). So today I disabled VP (which automatically disables PL) and conducted some test flights. Same result...argh. But I noticed that my satellite acquisition was ZERO. What?!?! And sure enough, the P4P drifts around like she's in ATTI mode.

So I tried the test mission a few more times with inconsistent results. Sometimes she would fly just fine, but about half the time would LOSE ALL satellites for just a split second, which would end the mission. OR...she would lose them and never re-acquire them.

So I checked my DJI account to check the last time I RENEWED my Care Refresh. Seems I paid for it Nov. 29th, 2018. So I'm covered! YES!

I recorded the screen on my iPad so I have evidence of this anomaly.

You can see in this screen capture that I lose all 15 satellites for just a split second:

1572802154203.png

Naturally, this causes the mission to end abruptly:

1572802237129.png

But then, after the missions ends, I get my satellites back:

1572802291684.png

But then, after a few seconds, I lost all satellites AGAIN. This time the loss was persistent. The canary in the cave is that she drifts as if in ATTI mode. It wasn't very windy today, so drift was very slow.

1572802777236.png

So I turned the bird around and started to fly home with zero satellites:

1572803123497.png

But then, out of nowhere, I got my satellites back:

1572803178254.png

I guess my point of all this is that MAYBE the OP is having the same problem. Bear in mind that sometimes satellite loss is persistent, but SOMETIMES it's just for a split second. So, unless one records one's screen, one would not see this momentary loss.

I would suggest screen recording your flights to see if you're suffering from the same anomaly.

D

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
....I guess my point of all this is that MAYBE the OP is having the same problem. Bear in mind that sometimes satellite loss is persistent, but SOMETIMES it's just for a split second. So, unless one records one's screen, one would not see this momentary loss.

I would suggest screen recording your flights to see if you're suffering from the same anomaly.

D
I think the OP has now realized he was operating in a DJI Restricted Zone. He stated:
I initially launched outside of the NFZ...When I redid the deploy map the launch zone was inside the NFZ and it turned up on my preflight check on DJI Go4...what a day...
and then said:
The NFZ is caused by an airport that was private and is now permanently closed...go figure

But your input is spot on Donnie. Could your loss of Sats be a failing Satt Rx onboard or a loose connection? Might be time to take the lid off and have a look inside.

But your input is spot on Donnie. Could your loss of Sats be a failing Satt Rx onboard or a loose connection? Might be time to take the lid off and have a look inside.

I'm going to guess a failing Satellite Rx board. This drone has suffered no shock, so I assume it's a failing board and not cracked antennae or bad connections.

In checking my records, the drone is still under extended warranty. So I'm just going to send it in. We have a mapping job tomorrow. My partner has TWO P4P's that I already modified to be exactly like my P4P (same firmware and hacks). So we're just going to use those while my P4P is in transit. I just boxed it up and am sending it out tomorrow. If the issue is not covered under the extended warranty, I have Care Refresh until the 29th of this month. I'm tempted to pay the $119 and get the replacement drone, but I don't believe they send new ones. They send them reconditioned. And Lord knows what that means to DJI. At least I KNOW my drone has been well taken care of. We'll see how this pans out.

D

Reactions: BigAl07
Keep us updated, I too am intrigued what the problem was.

Reactions: Harleydude
In a way, that's actually reassuring, hey? Better to know the module was faulty than finding something random no one could quite put their finger on.

RoOSTA

Reactions: Harleydude
In a way, that's actually reassuring, hey? Better to know the module was faulty than finding something random no one could quite put their finger on.

RoOSTA

Yep. But I was 95% sure it was either the module, the GPS puck antenna OR a cable connecting the two...all simple fixes, but as we're all well aware, cracking open our drones voids the warranty.

D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31