Drone blew away in high wind, any suggestion on how to calculate where it may land?

So this means that even after moving any of the sticks, the RTH would continue?
Correct. When using Smart RTH, you must cancel RTH by pressing the RTH button on the remote controller or cancel it from within DJI GO.

Per the Phantom manual:

SmartRTH.png

So do most of these trackers use Cell towers? I live in the rural mountains of colorado. 5 miles from my house and no cell coverage for up to the next 50 miles. Needless to say most of my flights are out of coverage. What if any trackers would work for me? Thanks guys. Glad you got your bird back!

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Glad to hear you recovered your phantom. FWIW years ago I had a P2V that decided to land itself up a tree. Nothing to do with me, guv, honest... Anyhow, it was stuck fast and all attempts to retrieve it failed during daylight. A storm came in and I just waited and waited. I visited the site four times in the evening, but it was still up there in the wind and the rain. And it rained heavily all night.

Next morning, I found it on the ground, battery popped out, one missing prop, one broken prop and the camera wires pulled out. (No gimbal on a P2V). It was still raining. I took it home, put it in a rice bowl for a few days, reconnected the wiring and test flew it with new props and a spare battery. Everything worked perfectly. The crashed battery even recovered with a charge.

These things are pretty strong. Yours should be fine, but test it fully somewhere safe before you get too confident. Happy Christmas!

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Just a quick note. Winds are stronger the higher you go in altitude. I had this problem sometime back and my RTH altitude is set to 145 feet. I know the Pine trees around here top out at about 115_120. I saw, in a high wind situation,m i that I was not coming back as fast as the battery was going down, so I took over and got down to just above the tops of the trees where the trees were breaking the wind. And I did get home. Pucker factor was off the chart though.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: iflyhelis
I lost my new P4 for two hours due to high winds. Just got stuck up a tree, checkfor trees. Also check local ads for some phantom without controller!

Reactions: iflyhelis
OP here here. Well, I can't believe it, but after letting the drone thaw out I tested it this morning and everything still works great. Didn't even have to re-calibrate the IMU or anything.

These things are hearty! Well done DJI. Well done.

Thanks everyone for being a part of my saga!

(And yes, I'll be getting a tracker next)

Just read this thread and gratz on recovering your bird :) for future reference for anyone else reading this thread if your using android device then in litchi there is the find my drone feature, I'm pretty sure it's not in iOS but I may be mistaken but it is in android. I didn't see that brought up while the search was on. It's a nice little feature in litchi. Happy flying and gratz again :)

Reactions: Neon Euc
Just read this thread and gratz on recovering your bird :) for future reference for anyone else reading this thread if your using android device then in litchi there is the find my drone feature, I'm pretty sure it's not in iOS but I may be mistaken but it is in android. I didn't see that brought up while the search was on. It's a nice little feature in litchi. Happy flying and gratz again :)
Hum? How is Litchi going to tell you anymore than the go app? If loose signal from the bird, that would still be your last data. As you know, I bought Litchi, have not even opened the app yet. :rolleyes:

Added: And what happens with your data if flying a mission with out contact with the remote?

@msinger ,
Why is his link gone to your viewer?
I was looking at the data Wednesday in a spreadsheet and saw sometimes it looked like his bird may have been up to 50 mph in the wrong direction. I was going to look at log again compared to spread sheet, but the link is not a link anymore. No big deal, just wondering.

Rod

OP here here. Well, I can't believe it, but after letting the drone thaw out I tested it this morning and everything still works great. Didn't even have to re-calibrate the IMU or anything.

These things are hearty! Well done DJI. Well done.

Thanks everyone for being a part of my saga!

(And yes, I'll be getting a tracker next)

thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg

Hum? How is Litchi going to tell you anymore than the go app? If loose signal from the bird, that would still be your last data. As you know, I bought Litchi, have not even opened the app yet. :rolleyes:

Added: And what happens with your data if flying a mission with out contact with the remote?
Tsk tsk pop that litchi cherry lol just messin. I'm not sure how the feature works I've never had to use it knock on wood lol but I've read other cases where people found it using the find my drone feature in litchi, whether or not it would have helped in this case I'm not sure but for others finding themselves in a similar situation it can't hurt to try it, another tool to try while trying all the others to try to find a missing bird :)

I was about to get Trackimo but read on the Trackimo specs page that it uses 2g, not 3g.... so isn't it just as likely to be shut down with everything else since the carriers are phasing out 2g? I see ATT is shutting down 2g starting in Jan 2017.

I'm so confused about this tracker situation.

Trackimo now sells a 3G version too.

...If loose signal from the bird, that would still be your last data. ...

I think the idea is, if it landed safely or even crashed and the battery stayed intact, you can go out looking for it and if there's enough battery for it to stay on for a while, you might pick up the signal on your flight app as you get somewhat close to it - with its GPS location...

Reactions: RodPad
Good morning Mark. Dan Grandmaison in Duluth, MN
I lost but found my P3P. I didn't know about trackers. I want to buy one. I don't care how much it costs. What should I buy. Thank you.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor