Downgrading from 1.8.8+ to 1.7.6

OK - added the debug file as well and it started updating when I turned it on..."D-D-D-D......D-D-D-D......" but it's been about 20 minutes. I thought it should take about 5...

And here's a new one for you - every 5 or so minutes it makes the same noise that it always does at startup...a click, followed by four beeps, each one higher than the last. Is that normal???

Oh boy...now the large LEDs near the motors shut off.......still beeping....but at least something different is happening!

Wow.......what an ordeal! Finally got the "firmware update finished" beeps and a solid green LED. Probably took 20-25 minutes in all. During it, the large LEDs shut off in the middle, and several times the opening "beep-beep-Beep-BEEP"s happened a varying volumes. At the end the gimbal started doing stuff. Mine started buzzing terribly, but from what I'm reading it's likely the set screw - will be looking into that tomorrow morning.

So don't make the same mistake that I did, which was to turn the P3 off and then back on to see if it worked - it did THE WHOLE THING OVER AGAIN, I'm guessing because adding the debug file causes it to ignore the fact that the AC already has the same or higher firmware. So I got to experience it twice :)

Despite gimbal weirdness and being indoors, update seems to have worked - showing 1.7.6+ and 1.5.8. Motors started on my bed. Will update batteries tomorrow and give her a go in the great outdoors! Many thanks for all the help!!

Reactions: KennethMcNutt

The firmware downgrade failed and the drone would only say "RC Control Error" (if I remember correctly) I downgrading again, failed, tried different firmwares, failed, tried upgrading through app, failed, tried upgrading manually, failed too. I searched all over the internet and could nothing except people saying send back to DJI. "Bricked" may not be the correct term but it was a brick to me.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Wow.......what an ordeal! Finally got the "firmware update finished" beeps and a solid green LED. Probably took 20-25 minutes in all. During it, the large LEDs shut off in the middle, and several times the opening "beep-beep-Beep-BEEP"s happened a varying volumes. At the end the gimbal started doing stuff. Mine started buzzing terribly, but from what I'm reading it's likely the set screw - will be looking into that tomorrow morning.

So don't make the same mistake that I did, which was to turn the P3 off and then back on to see if it worked - it did THE WHOLE THING OVER AGAIN, I'm guessing because adding the debug file causes it to ignore the fact that the AC already has the same or higher firmware. So I got to experience it twice :)

Despite gimbal weirdness and being indoors, update seems to have worked - showing 1.7.6+ and 1.5.8. Motors started on my bed. Will update batteries tomorrow and give her a go in the great outdoors! Many thanks for all the help!!

Glad to hear it worked! I'm surprised you needed the debug file because i would thing you could have downgraded one version without it...I went from 1.9 to 1.8 without. but hey, whatever works right? 25 min sounds about right because with that file it updates everything...If the gimble is still acting up i would hold off on updating the batteries until i figured that out. The last thing you want is issues while installing firmware...But if the gimble's ok and you feel the need to downgrade the batteries it takes about 2 to 5 min per battery and you shouldn't have to do the one you already had in while doing the original downgrade...reformat the sd card and install that file between every battery update... good luck...

The firmware downgrade failed and the drone would only say "RC Control Error" (if I remember correctly) I downgrading again, failed, tried different firmwares, failed, tried upgrading through app, failed, tried upgrading manually, failed too. I searched all over the internet and could nothing except people saying send back to DJI. "Bricked" may not be the correct term but it was a brick to me.

Very understandable!!! Was the "debug" method available at that time? Did you update the controller? I get that error when I downgrade my controler.. It work? But when you try to take off it says remote firmware mismatched" or something.. If i update it to 1.6 it goes away..

Right now... I try a no frills downgrade First just 1.8.8 on the card... Nothing?? sat for three minutes.. No update log either.. So I put 1.7.6 ....now its 1.8.8+ to 1.7.6.. update lod shows "updates" to some and bot to others..(bin's) it ran for 10+.. But still showed 1.8.8+..So I tried to update til plus went away... Updated to 1.9.6 (that was the highest it has ever been) But now it says 1.9.6+... I have not tried any other method than .bin only..

Thank you SO much sir!!! Most of that "lights and beeping and restarts " are normal :)

So here is my experience..
I had 1.9 on it D/G to 1.8 but had + :( so I went back to 1.9 (which had no + last time) and it was +!! ?? So I downgraded back to 1.8.. Still had plus.. Then I just put the 1.7 bin on the card.. It updated for like 40 seconds.. then complete.. Log shows some update pass.. But Dji Go app still says 1.8.8+?? So I put the debug file on with the 1.7.. Nothing??? Not even a log file?? Tried Twice? Nothing?? So I pulled the bin off.. and put 1.8.8 back on it..The same Version as it had?? And Then YES a 30 minute process of all systems restarting.................... But Now I am 1.8.8 with NO! "+" :)

So you have 1.5.8 R/C and 1.7.6 A/C working "inflight"?

Questions is now..... Can I roll back to 1.7.6 now? should I try bin only? or with the debug?
AND why did the debug do NOTHING last time???
This is what was left in my log file??? After 1.8.8+ to 1.8.8....
Delete history success.

Upgrading ...
Result: Success.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:12 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.08.0080.bin
Upgrading ...

Very understandable!!! Was the "debug" method available at that time? Did you update the controller? I get that error when I downgrade my controler.. It work? But when you try to take off it says remote firmware mismatched" or something.. If i update it to 1.6 it goes away..

Don't know... I just brought it back to Best Buy.

Well i did it... Long Story..
"My downgrade log....
I started With a P3P @ 1.9.6... (no "+")
I heard tale of a higher dB output level on 1.5.8 controller firmware...
So of course I wanted to test!!! (1.5.8 only works on 1.7.6 or older A/C)
So I downgraded?? LOL
I d/g to 1.8.8 but I was left with 1.8.8+
Ok so 1.8.8+!!!
I tried a normal downgrade to 1.7.6...
It downgraded.. It did it's normal process but it was less than 40 secs... I was left with a long log file which has some updates successful.. But The dji go app still said 1.8.8+ ???
Then again from my readings.. The suggestion was made to update till the plus was gone...
So I did... Went Back to 1.9.6, But now It to had a + ??!!
So lot's of reading Reading...
The true meaning of the + is mismatched F/W in the bird..
The .bin file is not just one bin.. (it is more like a zip file)
When you update some things don't get updated..
I was confused and did not want to go up any higher..
So back DOWN!! I went...
First 1.8.8 still +
Then I tried 1.7.6 Nothing ? not even a log..
then with the debug... Nothing..?! no log..
So what??? I never heard any one use Debug and the same F/W version again??
But I did..
1.8.8+ d/g?? to 1.8.8????
30+ mins.. the longest firmware update I had ever seen!! (Multiple panic attacks later) It was DONE!!! Checked the app... 1.8.8 no + !!! LOL So now what?? In a attempt to get red of this + I did all this!! because I want 1.7.6 So what would be my next best step 1.7.6 with or without Debug file? I don't want to end up with a + again LOL"
So After I was 1.8.8 no +..
I put the bin 1.7.6 on the sd..
Normal downgrade process 15min.. then complete..
I was left with a plus.. 1.7.6+....
So I added the Debug file on the card..
and restarted.. 45mins and all systems updated..
I had 1.7.6 no plus (after restart and R/c 1.5.8 downgrade)
Take note.. I was 1.8.0 R/C and the 1.5.8 downgrade failed... I had to use 1.6.0 first!! Then, it let me get to 1.5.8.
Also note.. After two 1.5.8 fails.. DJI go app.. Returned 1.5.8 in the about tab?? But I did 1.6.0 anyway then I did get success in the 1.5.8..
Upon next restart it made a weird gimbal noise.. And forced a IMU cal which I is was doing anyway..
So, All Is well I am 1.7.6 A/C 1.5.8 R/C.. :)
If I go down I will use the no debug... then again with it.. Method... For every step I take..
IF I decide to go back up I will NOT skip any F/W ver on the way!!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Wow......so you had a weird gimbal noise too! Wonder why you're went away and mine didn't...i did recalibrate IMU as well :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.