Downgrading firmware on P3P from 1.10.9 to 1.7.6

Ok, after looking in to how you upgrade the firmware on the bird, the app isn't used anyway, just the sd card.

I have successfully downgraded AC from 1.10 to 1.09 and the RC from 1.8 to 1.6

Reactions: airbender
Which FW is generally considered the most stable/best?
Sorry, missed this part. Which FW is best, that I don't know. There are too many variables at play in a given environment, and I've seen people complaining about virtually every build that has come out. :p

FW 1.7.6/ app 2.4.2 was my target mainly because that's the one that had the unencrypted flight controller module, making it the one that people are looking at for tinkering (which I love to do with anything I own).

Great effort Airbender, thanks for taking the time to put your money where you mouth is and trying it and getting back with the updates. I bet thats one big smile on your face:):):)
I am rather pleased that it worked with a minimum of fuss.
Ooo, thanks! I'll add that to the post!

You managed to downgrade RC with latest Go using graduation cap method?

yes, not without a hiccup or two though. I was on DJI GO 3.1.2 and the RC had 1.8 on it. I tried the graduation cap method, and it gave me a downgrade choice, and I selected 1.6, then clicked "Download" but nothing happened. I don't recall if I exited or just clicked it a bunch, but it eventually jumped into a downloading progress screen.

At about 45% downloading, it said "Failed" so I just clicked "download" again, and it seemed to resume from 45% and succeeded that time.

Then I clicked the new button that said "upgrade"

after a minute, it said failed on this step as well, but I just clicked upgrade again and it finished no problem.

Reactions: neven
Any thoughts on battery? Don't the batteries have firmware as well? I'm a total noob to DJI but not to flashing firmware on other stuff in the past. Just trying to do some homework.
They do as DJI opted to make 'smart' batteries with the balance charger and other supporting circuitry as part of the package.

Mine says 1.7.6 or 1.7.6+ depending on which battery I have in...So far i flew with both without an issue...I guess we'll see...
Hmm, that is something I forgot to consider TBH. My limited testing thus far has only been with the one battery I used for the rollback process, I've not yet checked with the other two batteries I have.

I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the battery isn't critical like the rest of the modules that are in the AC (gimbal, compass, etc), and there is what appears to be a good 'fix' in one of the later FW builds for batteries (colder weather cutoff issues), but it might be worth making a single module flash just for the batteries (it is one of the things that was talked about in the github project, being able to make a Frankenstein flash with the 'best' parts from each released FW).

More experimentation (science) is needed! :D

EDIT: Well, I just plugged in one of my spare batteries and the about screen does show 1.7.6+

That being said, all the status indicators are functioning normally, so it would appear that the battery firmware is not critical in any way to the functioning of the AC. Unfortunately, this is mostly speculation as the weather is still pants in my area and may get worse within the next 24 hours :(

Attachments

• battery_stats.jpg
    battery_stats.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 580
  • battery_voltage_display.jpg
    battery_voltage_display.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 529
  • firmware_plus.jpg
    firmware_plus.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 629
Last edited:
After downgrading the RC from 1.8 to 1.6
The AC from 1.10 to 1.09
and DJI GO from 3.1.2 to 3.1.1 (just because I saw some people had RTH issues on 3.1.2, plus I figured it was possibly better suited for 1.09 due to timing of their releases being closer)

and it just took a break from snowing 8" here, I'm going to reclibrate then take advantage of the break in weather for a test flight and some aerials of the newly fallen snow around here.

So you managed to downgrade just a battery firmware so it matches rest of the 1.7 FW package you downgraded to? That is great.

Yes...I also tried to load it with a battery in that didn't require the "downgrade" just to see if it would load and it didn't. I don't know why i wanted to, just curious i guess ;)...So it seems to only downgrade if needed. Maybe it only loads if the FW version is different idk...The beeping sound was a little different but i just waited until the light on the camera was solid green and It loaded in a matter of minutes..

Ok, I had succesfully downgraded my P3A from 1.10.9 to 1.7.60. All seemed good, video transmission looked good again. The next day I was going to test fly the bird but somehow the video was laggy again!? So, I decided to update the bird one fw up to 1.8.80 and then bring it back to 1.7.60 again. The 1.8.80 update ended to fail and solid red led on gimbal. :(
After the 1.8.80 disaster I decided to try to upgrade it gradually up to the 1.10.9 and then gradually back down to 1.7.60.
None of the updates / downgrades succeeded, always fail and the problem seems to be module [19 00] showing version 0.0.0.0!?!
I tried to fix things by downgrading without the debug file. I re flashed the existing FW with debug file and after that did downgrade without the debug file.... didn't fix the module [19 00] v0.0.0.0.

The hidden log file attached. Any ideas whast to try? :/

Attachments

• P3S_FW_LOG_AB.txt
    125.7 KB · Views: 592
Ok I've had a look and a read on the github page where I see you have asked the question. From what I can see is and this is just my understanding and I may be WRONG but it recommends going through it all again upgrade to the latest firmware which ever was your highest and force these if need be. Going in stages from what you are on now. Even if they show a red light on the gimble Then slowly downgrade checking each version as you go. That is my understanding but I MAY BE WRONG so if everything is working you might be better of waiting for someone with a better knowledge of this to give you an answer. Hope you get it sorted and keep us updated as the more info you can provide the better the help.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

It has to be a missing package or moved package, so hopefully upgrading will put them back it the right place and the downgrade slowly checking each hidden file and result so you can find where the problem is. Maybe stay at 1.8for a bit rather than going all the way. Just a thought

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

This is great info. Thanks to everyone.
I had video trouble with v1.10.90 and GO 3.1.2.
Not sure which one was the problem. Last week I got the RC downgraded to v1.6 using the "graduation cap" while on 3.1.2 if I remember correctly. Had to do a bit of clicking around to get it to work though. I then downgraded to GO 2.8.1. The AC still has v1.10.90 but my video problem appears to be fixed. Haven't done a test flight yet though. I think I'd like to go back to the previous FW which was AC 1.9.6.0, GO 2.8.1 and RC I believe was 1.8.00. Never had trouble with those. The debug SD card files that were posted should make it easier for me to downgrade the AC right?

Last edited:
For those who has/gets module problems: Please read the following from the user notsolowki from this board:
"IF YOU ARE ON 1.10. THEN USE THE P3X DEBUG FILE TO DOWNGRADE TO 1.9. THEN IF POSSIBLE DOWNGRADE FROM 1.9 TO 1.8 THE NORMAL WAY. ALWAYS DOWNGRADE THE NORMAL IF YOU CAN. BUT FOR EXAMPLE. WHEN I WENT FROM 1.8 TO 1.7.6 MY VERSION NUMBER SHOWED AS "1.7.6+" SO INSTEAD OF DOWNAGRADE FROM 1.7.6"+" TO 1.6 I USED P3X_DEBUG TO DOWNGRADE 1.7.6+ TO 1.7.6 USING THE 1.7.6 FIRMWARE FILE. HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE. YOU DONT WANT TO GET YOU MODULES MIXED UP"

airbender i would put in your that it takes 23 minutes to flash with the debug file. that way no one gets impatient and bricks there drone

I think a smart move when downgrading would be to end up with "normally" installed firmware. So, if your target is 1.7 and you are on 1.10 then my process would be 1.10>1.9(debug)>1.8>1.7(debug)>1.6>1.7

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

airbender i would put in your that it takes 23 minutes to flash with the debug file. that way no one gets impatient and bricks there drone
I did.

FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS STEP BY STEP, DO NOT SKIP ANY OF THEM, DO NOT SKIP FW VERSIONS, OR YOU MAY END UP WITH MISMATCHED MODULES OR EVEN BRICK YOUR BIRD.

Note that the debug flashing step(s) will take around 23 minutes to finish

The process:
I've just put it in bold to draw more attention to it. :)

Reactions: notsolowki
I think a smart move when downgrading would be to end up with "normally" installed firmware. So, if your target is 1.7 and you are on 1.10 then my process would be 1.10>1.9(debug)>1.8>1.7(debug)>1.6>1.7
Actually, I was just thinking about something like this recently.

Since we know that not all modules are updated with each firmware revision, it might not be a bad idea to go back one more revision than the target just in case there is a module that was at a given version from a previous flash that the target version is expecting.

So far, 1.7.6 does seem to not have this 'catch', but others might. I've not had time to unbundle the firmware files and list out what modules each build does touch, but it does seem to be good information to have available...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj