Downgrade firmware or not?

How frustrating , this is exactly why I stopped flying. Feared crashing because of not having the proper downloaded app after hearing horror stories and range issues. Seems like there is till no consensus of what firmware and app I should be using..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Oh go back up and get in the air. Remember, MOST of us don't crash (all of the time). When we do it's USUALLY our own fault. Just be systematic, fly in safe places. Top off your batteries. If you get a warning, stop, land and figure it out. It's amazing how many posts we get that start with 'RANDOM WARNING' showed up on the screen but it went away and I decided to fly .... for a while.

I know right?.. Well I'm running pretty low firmware can't remember which one. Is there a specific one I should go with? One that doesn't reduce range? I know they started to implement speed limiters, really wish they hadn't I loved hitting that 57mph mark with the wind lol

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Well went for a test flight tonight in the same location and height I always go and it didn't go any further, maybe a little less. Who knows, could have been more interference tonight, nevertheless I don't think it made any difference between 1.8.8 and 1.9.6.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'm still on 1.8.8 running the an older DJI go app on my (iPhone) and the latest DJI go app on my (iPad). My P3A performed really well in Iceland this summer with 1.8.8. One thing though, If I'm running 1.8.8 my batteries should be at the same? But for some reason one of the new batteries is not discharging. I need to check on that...

I want to upgrade to 1.9.6, but now I have my doubts :(

Been using 1.8.8 and iOS iPad GO app 2.8.1 with battery firmware previously upgraded to 1.9.6. (I had upgraded two aircraft to 1.9.6 and didn't like it, so I downgraded them both aircraft to 1.8.8).
No issues with this configuration, good range, no appreciable difference in stability, no app crashes or unusual disconnects. Also flown out of range to loss-of-signal several times and Return-To-Home functions reliably. Also flew several autonomous Litchi missions with no issues. Only issue I had was with one drone cracks developed in the right rear arm beneath the motor in the bottom shell. Pretty typical from what I understand. It being only two months old, it is now at DJI in California for warranty repair.

Put 1.9.6 back on cause it didn't seem to make a difference in distance. If anything a little less which is odd. Took it out for a flight tonight in my neighborhood and went the furthest I've ever gone at this spot. 6,200ft. The weird thing I get weak signal earlier then I remember with the red banner on top but video still strong but still keeps flying a lot further then it did before with weak rc signal came up. I was getting the weak signal warning around 4,000ft but video was good and just kept going all the way to 6,200 before rth kicked in. This is a record in my neighborhood for me.

I'm still on 1.8.8 running the an older DJI go app on my (iPhone) and the latest DJI go app on my (iPad). My P3A performed really well in Iceland this summer with 1.8.8. One thing though, If I'm running 1.8.8 my batteries should be at the same? But for some reason one of the new batteries is not discharging. I need to check on that...

I want to upgrade to 1.9.6, but now I have my doubts :(
I also doubt about updating to 1.9.6, my P3A have great range with fw 1.8.8 (4.390 meter before RTH triggered cause lost signal)...so I'll stay with 1.8.8

Cheers :)

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Tapatalk

I had installed 1.9.6 (updated the batteries too), but didn't like the reduced range and stability I felt I was noticing. I downgraded to 1.8.8, found I had no more stability issues and good range as before. This was with two P3 Pros, a W323 and W323B (both were downgraded to 1.8.8) and while using RC controller 1.6 with GO app 2.8.1. But I've also noticed some flyers post saying they have no issues with 1.9.6. I recently had one P3 repaired after a minor crash at a DJI authorized dealer. I mentioned my opinions about the firmware versions and they agreed, saying skip version 1.9.6. To each his own...
Reading this post and curious, so I'm gonna ask right here vs starting a thread if that's ok. I am a little confused about all of this. Here goes, I know that there is controller firmware(updated through the app) and aircraft firmware(updated via sd card), but I also noticed that you said you updated the batteries too? Guezz, how many sets of firmware are there? Also, if I downgrade my firmware, which I am considering because a lot of people on here are screaming don't update!! Don't update!! and because of what I am reading here about range and such, would that mean that I would have to also downgrade the firmware on my controller as well?

Thanks in advance!

To Paul:
The aircraft firmware 1.9.6 also contains the battery firmware. It updates the battery as the aircraft is updated (unseen to the user).
The DJI idea is that all other batteries would also be inserted in the aircraft and powered on while the firmware is available in the SD card so that these batteries can be updated as well. It is thought that battery firmware cannot be downgraded, but there is no way to check that because there is no way to see what firmware version a battery has.
No need to downgrade the controller unless you want to. Usually downgrades can only be done going back one version, so the controller and aircraft are never that far out of sync in firmware. I use 1.6 controller with 1.8.0 Aircraft and 2.8.1 GO app. The only aircraft firmware version I would avoid is version 1.5, that had known battery issues.

To Paul:
The aircraft firmware 1.9.6 also contains the battery firmware. It updates the battery as the aircraft is updated (unseen to the user).
The DJI idea is that all other batteries would also be inserted in the aircraft and powered on while the firmware is available in the SD card so that these batteries can be updated as well. It is thought that battery firmware cannot be downgraded, but there is no way to check that because there is no way to see what firmware version a battery has.
No need to downgrade the controller unless you want to. Usually downgrades can only be done going back one version, so the controller and aircraft are never that far out of sync in firmware. I use 1.6 controller with 1.8.0 Aircraft and 2.8.1 GO app. The only aircraft firmware version I would avoid is version 1.5, that had known battery issues.
Thanks!

Been using 1.8.8 and iOS iPad GO app 2.8.1 with battery firmware previously upgraded to 1.9.6. (I had upgraded two aircraft to 1.9.6 and didn't like it, so I downgraded them both aircraft to 1.8.8).
/QUOTE]

What reasons made you not like it?

Put 1.9.6 back on cause it didn't seem to make a difference in distance. If anything a little less which is odd. Took it out for a flight tonight in my neighborhood and went the furthest I've ever gone at this spot. 6,200ft. The weird thing I get weak signal earlier then I remember with the red banner on top but video still strong but still keeps flying a lot further then it did before with weak rc signal came up. I was getting the weak signal warning around 4,000ft but video was good and just kept going all the way to 6,200 before rth kicked in. This is a record in my neighborhood for me.

I fly on 1.4 , never had a single problem other than out of level camera, my range is unbelievable....

Reactions: Oso
Stock antennas 4.8 km in a rural area , 2.5 km in the city,
just modded one of the controllers with a ARGtech dual antenna with very mixed results,
ordering DBS next, I want to have some real fun lol

Now that's a lot of distance! Farthest i've been with 1.9.6 is 3.6Kms over the ocean.

Now that's a lot of distance! Farthest i've been with 1.9.6 is 3.6Kms over the ocean.
My distance is maxed , basically you lose all your reception the bird turns auto return to home and comes back...
I want to try that DBS and go past 5km just for kicks...
Recently ran my P3 down to 0 battery percentage and it was still flying for like 2 minutes , unreal...
I tested it above thick grass just inches above just in case it dropped lol
P3's are as solid as they get...

Last edited:
My distance is maxed , basically you lose all your reception the bird turns auto return to home and comes back...
I want to try that DBS and go past 5km just for kicks...
Recently ran my P3 down to 0 battery percentage and it was still flying for like 2 minutes , unreal...
I tested it above thick grass just inches above just in case it dropped lol
P3's are as solid as they get...

Yes, these P3 A's and Pro's are really tough and dependable birds. Ifever, we can only blame human error and carelessness.

I also maxed it out once and it triggered RTH...at only 1.2kms. Guess why the short distance? I forgot to put up the "ears" of the Remote Controller, hehehe.
HUMAN ERROR! :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik