Double beep from gimble and compass won't calibrate

Reaction score
Newbie and first post.

After a crash, I can't get the P3S to calibrate the compass. During its last flight I got the 'Strong interference detected' message several times. It lost connection and started to return home finally crashing on a shed roof. Now I get a double beep from the gimble upon switching on, compass calibration fails giving the strong interference error again, and I can't start the motors.After the completion of a successful IMU recalibration, I noticed there's just a line of zeros from the compass sensor, so I'm guessing the compass connection is broken somewhere? Would a broken compass prevent the motors running though, and any idea what the constant double beep is? Any help appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum!

Are you getting telemetry and live image from the Phantom, if so I think your compass is your only problem.

I'm not sure, but I think you wouldn't be able to start the motors with no compass readings.

Rod

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
Thanks for your reply Rod.. Yes full telemetry and image. Gimbal seems to work fine so I'm hoping as you say it's just the Compass. Funny how the compass seems to be so vulnerable in a crash. Good job it's a relatively cheap and easy repair. I'm really quite upset and annoyed as I was hoping to get some good flights in along the coastline. As on holiday for a week. Bust it on first holiday flight. My own fault as I was having to make do with makeshift iPad holder. One on order but didn't arrive in time. II realised after that's there's an ariel low voltage power line that runs behind the line of chalets I'm staying in. Must have caused the interference..

------------------

Are you getting telemetry and live image from the Phantom, if so I think your compass is your only problem.

I'm not sure, but I think you wouldn't be able to start the motors with no compass readings.

Rod[/QUOTE]

To clarify?
I doubt power lines and "'Strong interference detected'" is the cause of your crash.

You may see critical information from your flight log.
Up load your flight log from you mobile to this website: DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help
Post the url results back here.

Do you know where the compass is on your phantom?
It might be an easy fix, connector could have just came loose on the main board.

Rod

I noticed there's just a line of zeros from the compass sensor, so I'm guessing the compass connection is broken somewhere? Would a broken compass prevent the motors running though
You guessed correctly.
Zeros means the compass is disconnected and will never calibrate until that's fixed.
And the Phantom won't start up either.

It could be the connection to the main board is loose or one of the wires has broken.

First point,look for the rear right leg lowest part of the landing gear. The compass module sits there.
2nd point follow the thick white wire from the bottom up to the shell. If there no damage then have a look to the mother board.
1 loose pin is enough to stop the compass work.

Thanks folks. Sorry for the delay in replying. Just having a go at taking it apart now.. No obvious signs wrong with the cable or little board in the leg.

image.jpeg
Well I've found what the problem is! The compass connector has a couple of little tuning fork like pins broken off the board. I'm not bad at soldering but this looks really tricky as they are very small. Anybody ever done anything like this before?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31