Don't moan my little drone

Reaction score
So a few days ago I crashed my drone on the hotel roof (few beers to many... I know I know.. I already had it from the Mrs.. So hold back on me guys) [emoji6]

Now... Mins after it slammed on the roof it started raining... But it did stop.... About 14 hours later just after the drone was rescued *sods law eh? *

After getting the phone call saying the drone is down and intact the guy said its working! Hmm... I'm guessing he just means he might have pressed the battery and not start it up (couldn't be any power left at all)

So I will going down to collect it in a few hours. This would be 48 hours after the crash. Bear in mind it hasn't been dried out, any water may still be in there still. So I have a few questions

1) its just pure rain water but should I chuck the battery even if it still lights up ?

2) if I can't see any signs of left over water even if I tip the drone in all directions should I still attempt to open it up and see if there is water inside?

3) how long should I leave it before I take it for a test to just hoover for 10 mins then fly?

Thought I would ask as I read a lot of people crashing in fresh water lakes and making a full recovery. Would really love to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation before and to pass on any advice [emoji4]

Wrap the camera with a paper towel, using a rubber band to hold it on. Do this in such a way so rice cannot get in the sd slot, gimbal motors, etc. Pull the battery out and wrap it in paper towels the same way, adequate to keep the rice out. Then put the drone and battery in a box and fill half full of rice, just deep enough so the rice is up to the bottom of the motor pod arms, then fold the lids closed. Let it sit for 3-4 days outside, protected from rain, but in the sunshine. After a few days it should be good to fire up and test.

I would let it dry first as water may just get deeper in the bird as you fly. You can put in on (not in) dry rice in a sealed plastic bag for a few days...yes days or better if you have silica gel. The dry rice or silica does a good job absorbing humidity, this works better if it is in a warm place.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Lol cheers guys. For both of you saying the same thing at the same time gives me 100% confidence [emoji4] I just hope nothing got short circuited when the owner said its all working good lol

Just leave it in a dry warm place, preferably with good air movement. While rice does have some effect in absorbing moisture it isn’t hugely effective, certainly not worthy of its legendary status. Rice is outperformed by cat litter, couscous, oatmeal and many other household items. The only real benefit with the pack I’m rice trick is it protects the drone from the temptation to power it up before it has had time to air dry.

Let's see, how long to wait. How long to get the beer out of your system? Lol
Rice has little merit unless you really want to wait a long time. Professional people dry out phones and other electronic devices with a dehydrator. I have had to dry out my p 3 s more times then I like to admit, and I never drank one beer!. I only like beer for cooking. Lol I fix my dehydrator so it can hold the parts by adapting its side and top to accommodate the items. I set the temperature to 115 degrees F. Over night and the next day I fly. If you don't have a dehydrator, then I would say any dry heat would do. It is amazing how well phantoms are built.

Oh wow thanks guys. So hopefully after 2 days of no rice and in a hotel (god knows how its been handled lol) it might actually be OK. This phantom has been through it all. Fell to its death at 90 meters (got replaced with a refurbished one) and before the roof slam it actually flew in the rain and got soaked for 10 mins before I landed. It was fine so I do have high hopes for this. I have to upload the clips as you see water running down the camera lens, then it got soaked again flying through the clouds, then was the roof incident. I really do have a good feeling. I should sleep as its 3am but I am collecting it tomorrow but to excited to sleep lol

The rice should be instant rice, it's cheap and clean, silica is tops but expensive compared to a bucket of rice. Hot air dry first (hair dryer on low) and rice for the final draw. I never had the mishap of drying my Phantom (yet) but I have used instant rice on a few phones and it worked for me. Sleep well rest and live to fly another day!

Thanks erised. I might use my hair dryer on it, maybe give it a perm while I'm at it [emoji28] but will also dunk it in rice and leave it for a few days. Hope it rains heavy in England.... Will stop me tempting to take it out lol. Have a great day mate and will keep this post updated [emoji4]

The rice should be instant rice, it's cheap and clean, silica is tops but expensive compared to a bucket of rice. Hot air dry first (hair dryer on low) and rice for the final draw. I never had the mishap of drying my Phantom (yet) but I have used instant rice on a few phones and it worked for me. Sleep well rest and live to fly another day!
The ability of rice to absorb fluids is well demonstrated, particularly when preparing a risotto- it’s of little use with rescuing electronics however. The silica crystals in those little bags labelled “do not eat”packaged with electronics in transit does work very well.

Reactions: deltamike
Silica is good and not so expensive if you find cat litter that is 100% silica. That is the route I went when I had to make insulation for a forge I made.

Hi mate, wrap your phantom in kitchen roll and put it in a large box such as a waste busket and fill with cat litter. Leave for a few days should be OK.

Here in Australia you can get white crystals called damp rid
They literally suck the moisture out of everything
They are available in little buckets (water is collected on the bottom)
Or little bags (people hang them in closets to avoid mould)
Surely you can get something like that over there
Good luck hope it turns out ok for you

Here in Australia you can get white crystals called damp rid
They literally suck the moisture out of everything
They are available in little buckets (water is collected on the bottom)
Or little bags (people hang them in closets to avoid mould)
Surely you can get something like that over there
Good luck hope it turns out ok for you
The good old closet camel....

FWIW , i use a dehumidifier, the outlet is warm, extremely dry air. The model I have is a flat top with grates, discharging the dry air out of the top. I have successfully dried out many a phone and even a couple tv remotes that the grandkids decided needed washing in the dog's water dish. I hope i never need to use it for a wet phantom, but it took 1/4 of the time to dry out, compared to phones that were covered in rice and cat litter.

So how about an update? Did you get dried out? Does it fly ok?
Hiya. I got it working again. Didn't need to put it in rice or anything, didn't even use a hair dryer. Just let it naturally dry. To be honest it was bone dry the min I got it back. It works but I keep getting low voltage on the battery but it flies as it should

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT