Don't forget the gimbal lock!

Reaction score
In both the Quick Start and main manual, I cannot find any mention of removing the gimbal locking device BEFORE inserting battery/turning on the Drone. If you don't do this you will almost certainly trash the gimbal motors as it goes through a calibrating routine as soon as power is applied.
Just thought I'd remind everyone!

Back when i was a noob i often forgot that step and luckily never did any damage. Seeing the gimbal overload message was always scary lol. I never forget now tho.

The dumb thing is DJI makes gimbal locks out of almost clear plastic. The smaller ones on the old P2V+ were even easier to forget to remove. I attached a red streamer to it so it would be obvious.

Reactions: olfart and 3rdof5
Yep..& have still forgot.
image.jpg

Yes I can remember doing this myself ,no damage thanfully,,,this from quick start,,it is there
1549049036278544948957.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a fail proof system, it works each and every time.
It’s called a Preflight Checklist, here it is.
IMG_0388.jpg

I also have a before you leave home checklist which includes the basics as, bring drone, controller, batteries. I have gone to park and left controller charging at home. Bummer!

Blimey, but good idea if one can be forgetful - and we all can be at times!

We should probably just spray paint it international orange or something like that. I believe that would do the trick and look kinda cool too!

It happened to me three years ago when I had P3A. Since then I have never put the gimbal protector on again. I do the same with P4P and have no issues because of that. I think that those protectors is mostly because of the transport from DJI or whatsoever. Gimbal works just fine without it. But you need to have the Phantom in its original case. If you carry it around without anything then the gimbal protection is sensible.

Yes we can all be forgetful at the wrong time. Since I turned all my protectors and guards red in colour and fitted ‘remove before flight’ tags to them all I haven’t had and issue. Do whatever works for you. I also carry a ‘pre’ and ‘after’ flight check list .... it all works.

Reactions: skymonkey
I like the idea of the "remove before flight" tags! I do have a "Gimbal" Demo table stuck over the battery compartment which I see when inserting the battery.

If one keeps the drone in one place all the Tim, don't move it around, then I guess the gimbal lock is not necessary. However, if one does move it around I personally think it essential to lock the gimbal to stop the camera flopping around. I keep mine (my sons) in a Peli foam cut-to-fit lined case as it used to get transported around the world with my son, a pilot.

Attachments

• IMG_5424.jpg
    IMG_5424.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 350
That is not a recipe not to put the gimbal lock. I just say what I do and with no issues. The gimbal is pretty safe in the P4 box. Of course I'm not throwing the box around, but I drive it in the car a lot.
Astrix - you say that you have the pre and after flight check list. I'm curious what you check after flight? The only thing I do is check not to forget something in the field. LOL.

Reactions: Astrix
That is not a recipe not to put the gimbal lock. I just say what I do and with no issues. The gimbal is pretty safe in the P4 box. Of course I'm not throwing the box around, but I drive it in the car a lot.
Astrix - you say that you have the pre and after flight check list. I'm curious what you check after flight? The only thing I do is check not to forget something in the field. LOL.

You've more or less got it lol lol. From memory silly things like shut down procedure, battery removal to aid quicker cool down, battery pin protectors on, gimbal locks and 'remove before flight tags', separate storage area for used batteries with different coloured pin protectors so I know what needs charging and what doesn't. I also check all props and give the drone a 100% close inspection to ensure all is good, clean the lens and wipe the drone down so it eases the next flight when I'm next out. I have a routine I go through, then before I leave I check the area to ensure I have collected everything, take away any rubbish I may have dropped then home.

I always leave an area the way I found it .... clean and tidy. This way all my local land owners don't mind me in their fields and let me just get on with it. Some even come out for a look, check I'm OK and even bring food and drink out on occasions. It took a long while but now i'm on good terms with them all (in my area) so I have pretty much a free run with no one 'shouting or balling'. 2 of the Land owners have even put down a hard standing (gravel) next to the field gates off the road for me to park on. I helped them out on a couple of things for no charge (I'm the local Locksmith) and they have returned the favour.

Reactions: skymonkey
This makes sure I never forget lol.
20190330_081140.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT