Does Solar Activity Really Have That Much An Effect On Flying????

Reaction score
Hi There People on Phantom pilots,
I am asking is the (SAM) Solar Activity Monitor have much of a bearing on the way my PV2+ is going to perform, in the aspect of actually telling me there is solar activity and magnetic storms and therefor shouldn't fly in case of either fly away/ interference or/and GPS loss signal ??? , if so and why also is this why so so many phantom 2 and 2+ ,3 even 4 pro's going hay wire or just going and not being able to recover resulting in basically a fly away never to be seen again, the only mishap i have had with mine is that at about 35 discharges of battery one time it was hovering at about 15 meters off the ground and all of a sudden pitched hard over to one side and fall straight out of the hover plummeting to the ground with a horrible thud and broke my gimble , some one told me it may have had something to do with prop wash/vortex i think i got that right or something like that otherwise i have had 34 great flights and now at 55 discharges my battery is finally dead dropped a cell and gives me false batt voltage levels because it tells me fully charged but the does a self land after flying for only three min and once again i check the batt and it tells me three lights remaining but i know that is incorrect because of the self land so yes the batt is dead . now have purchased a new battery but before i fly again would love to talk with someone either willing to chat on similar topics or have had things like this happen to them, my email is [email protected] or els leave message here any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Been flying Phantoms since early 2014 without any concern for or known status of Kp index or the like.

Never had any issues that I would dare blame on such. SAM data is just another thing to needlessly worry about with regards to r/c aircraft.

With regards to your prop-wash or vortex (VRS) concerns... early Phantoms were susceptible to this during rapid vertical descent but not during a fixed or stable hover.

With no redundancy in the propulsion and power systems any failure can lead to a crash. Again not a SAM concern based on your description thus far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kriptonite
Been flying Phantoms since early 2014 without any concern for or known status of Kp index or the like.

Never had any issues that I would dare blame on such. SAM data is just anther thing to needlessly worry about with regards to r/c aircraft.

With regards to your prop-wash or vortex (VRS) concerns... early Phantoms were susceptible to this during rapid vertical descent but not during a fixed or stable hover.

With no redundancy in the propulsion and power systems any failure can lead to a crash. Again not a SAM concern based on your description thus far.

Thanks for the information, my freind with me at the time actually did say that he heard one of the motors stop turning because of the sound differ but i wasnt convinced althgough now thinking about it now and with your provided info perhaps one of my motors may very well have stopped working for a split second and in turn causing it to crash. like you said any failure in that area is a bad result .

Hi Andrew. I think you surmise that many of so-called "fly-aways" are down to solar activity or other changes in the Earth's magnetic field when in fact they are probably down to other factors. The technology packed into the latest Phantom models is indeed superb but IMHO many pilots rely on it totally, sometimes at the expense of basic flying techniques.
I think your new battery deserves to be used as intended, so go out, fly and enjoy your Phantom!

I look at SAM EVERY time I fly. But... I also look at the source:
Solar and Heliospheric Observatory Homepage
If the solar wind is above 600, I use more caution. It can effect your safe flight if EMF (radiation) conks out the gps/compass. I see it as a extra tool to use, but, yes I use it and take precautions.

Reactions: Kriptonite
What 'more caution' do you employ?
How has that been determined to reduce the chance of a SAM related 'incident'?
Sounds like voodoo to me and nothing you can quantify or demonstrate.
TEHO.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair