Does it matter if I hold the controller while calibrating the drone?

Reaction score
My controller has a neck strap so everytime i fly i just hang it on my neck because it's both safe and comfortable. I also calibrate my drone everytime before flight. So is it dangerous if the calibration is performed while the controller is hanging down from my neck?

I think its more dangerous to calibrate before every flight!
If you have a good calibration & don't plan on moving more than 70-100 miles from your original flight area, no need to re-calibrate. You can look around on this site for reasons by flyers much more expierenced than !.

While the DJI instructions don't mention the controller they do include mobile phones amongst examples if items that should not be in close proximity to the AC when calibrating the compass. I would assume that if your not using a phone as the display device that you would have a tablet in the holder.

It is not required to calibrate before each flight. In fact flying on a known good calibration seems preferable to recalibrating.i have well over 100 flights on my current calibration with no issues and would only recalibrate if flying a significant distance away.

Even changing location by a substantial distance doesn't necessarily require a compass calibration. Even if the local deviation has changed significantly, your bird isn't going to get lost. Direction back home would be relative and if off by a degree or 2 in absolute compass reading, the 'wrong' heading would still be aimed in the right direction. It's only if you are flying from one point to another one a long distance away that you would need to account for deviation. Our phantoms can't fly far enough on a battery for that to be a problem and we are (hopefully) returning to where we started.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic