Do You Think That the FAA Rules are Ridiculous?

Reaction score
Do you think that the required knowledge is over the top? I think the 303 test is way to hard, like why do you need to know how to read all these ridiculously complex flight codes to fly a drone. And in Canada it's just insane, like its easier to drive a car legally then fly a drone.

Reactions: Basspig and johnp44
Absolutely not. It’s easy to have that mentality when you are piloting from tierra firme safe on the ground. If you were piloting while on board your sUAS every bit of information and rules to keep you safe would probably seem minimal, not to mention risk averse decisions you would not think about being safe on the ground.

Absolutely not. It’s easy to have that mentality when you are piloting from tierra firme safe on the ground. If you were piloting while on board your sUAS every bit of information and rules to keep you safe would probably seem minimal, not to mention risk averse decisions you would not think about being safe on the ground.
Yah because tomorrow im going to ride my phantom. LOL, it's not a unmanned aircraft (drone) if you're on it. So that's irrelevant.
Thanks for the response!

Reactions: Basspig
You do realize that you are now SHARING the National Airspace System with Manned aircraft?

If you aren't playing by the same "general" rules how do you expect it to remain safe for manned aircraft?

Honestly, the existing rules are way overly simplified and Part 107 Test is just a pinch over a joke IMHO.

Do you think that the required knowledge is over the top? I think the 303 test is way to hard, like why do you need to know how to read all these ridiculously complex flight codes to fly a drone. And in Canada it's just insane, like its easier to drive a car legally then fly a drone.
Yeah, the FAA makes us do a lot of stupid stuff. Like WTF? with all those oxygen thingys dropping out of the overhead when starboard sucks in a drone, and we are flying like a one legged duck swimming?

Last edited:

If you find the knowledge test too difficult then you probably shouldn't be flying a drone or driving a car.

I think it is amazing that we can still fly at all with how many stupid people on the news for stupid things they do with their drones.

I think the rules are very important..i fly everyday recreationally 4.1 miles from a small airport. Im technically in class g airspace and don't even have to get authorization. But i still go through the motions and make a flight plan with airmap to help cover my behind. Its a small local airport. They know i fly here. Legally. And im almost lined up with the end of their Runway. They just ask i be safe and even told me i seem more knowledgeable than then average joe. Even went and got some maps from them to help study for my part 107 and i take my daughter to watch the planes takeoff and land and they are very welcoming. They let us go out on the tarmac and touch the planes etc. Real treat for my 3 year old. Sorry far off track.. my point is. I respect the laws and the regulations..even if they arent laws. There are living people up in the air and my drone can possibly hurt them. Or someone down below. Or even one of my kids. My daughter loves to stand under my drone and feel the air.. scares my to death and i dont like letting her do it. But they love the funnels and spins and fast flybys too so. I try to be safe as possible to continue being able to fly my bird they way im allowed. Not saying i havent stretched a sunset a little and flew maybe a little later than i should without anti collisions.. or something of that nature. Or accidentally been so into a shot or zipping around im suddenly at 460ft before i know things happened..but prepared for them and dont take them as a joke. Can you imagine god forbid but could you imagine watching your drone hit a small plane or helicopter? The dread .. i dont know what happenes or could happen but I don't wanna find out. I had a friend who liked to stretch the rules or go over 400 etc. And in a safe manner mostly but to me its not cool. Unless your in bfe.. maybe.. maybe..but I told him man do what you want in your own time but when you fly with me you fly legal.. anywho guys I know this is super long. But be safe. And don't have a know it all attitude. Be humble. Cause that thing could fall out of the sky on any flight and youll be back on here asking what you did wrong. Flying safely reduces those risks. And the safety of others around you. Everybody has done some things they know probably wasnt the safest. like me flying over my kids head. But how many have done that with their own kids? So dont judge others too harshly. its easy to jump on someone for what they do. But i dont even like flying over roads or moving cars.. see people do it all the time. I still check both ways.. the faa has the rules for a reason. some may be ridiculous. Some may be in the beginning stages and change eventually to a more sensible and reasonable law or regulation.. i like my drone im trying to keep it. And im trying to keep the little bit of money in my wallet.. I sure would be mad if I got slapped with a $1000 fine for doing something stupid instead of using that money to buy a new drone.. sorry again for my life story.. I was drinking my morning joe/jet fuel.. BigAl is gonna put me on a 300 word limit if I keep writing books.. just messing sir!

I absolutely agree with you that the FAA rules, tests, certifications etc. are completely asinine. I will warn you tho to not expect much consensus on this topic in this forum because you are going to quickly find that most people here love all of the ridicules FAA restrictions placed upon them. The only reason I can come up with to explain this strange attitude is that many of the people here gain a lot of elitist self-importance by complying with this silly stuff. It’s like they don’t care as much about flying their drone as they do getting their certifications.
[Argumentative Comment Removed by Admin]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HWB and CharlieU
Just one reason is all you can come up with?

And it’s because of elitism?

I absolutely agree with you that the FAA rules, tests, certifications etc. are completely asinine. I will warn you tho to not expect much consensus on this topic in this forum because you are going to quickly find that most people here love all of the ridicules FAA restrictions placed upon them. The only reason I can come up with to explain this strange attitude is that many of the people here gain a lot of elitist self-importance by complying with this silly stuff. It’s like they don’t care as much about flying their drone as they do getting their certifications.
[Argumentative Comment Removed by Admin]

I’m staying out of this topic in case the FAA is monitoring.... and I don’t have have any dirt on the Clinton’s either (just covering all my bases!)

?

You do realize that you are now SHARING the National Airspace System with Manned aircraft?

If you aren't playing by the same "general" rules how do you expect it to remain safe for manned aircraft?

Honestly, the existing rules are way overly simplified and Part 107 Test is just a pinch over a joke IMHO.
Totally agree with Al. When I took my Private Pilot Exam in 93, I was told that every FAR in the book was written in someone's blood. I don't think the FAA imposes restrictions for any other reason than ensuring the safety of everyone, both in the air and on the ground. If it's inconvenient just know there is a reason, not just someone's power trip.

Yes, but for a several different reasons. First, if you're just a recreational flyer, i.e. you don't fly for money, you don't need the cert. The day you charge for your service, you do. There is nothing about charging for your service that affects safety. Second, remote controlled airplanes have been in use for years with no FAA certs required. Why just of drones? Third, you can by a $20,000 ultralight helicopter and fly it all you want with no certs. Why are drones singled out for such stringent certs?

its the same people like this that dont stop and yield on the on ramp to the highway knowing dang well they have a yield sign you got the green light... but ahh man them rules are for losers.. but hey you cant teach common sense. Its one thing when your out in the middle of Wyoming or flying at 600 agl on a mountain side but to be putting people, business or your drone at risk is whats asinine.. your elitist comment could be compared to arrogant people who think they are above everyone else and the rules because they are so smart and that kind of stuff wont ever happen to them..you ever been in a car wreck?? Bet you didn't plan that the day it happened. What a goof.. heck these days it doesn't take much for a disgruntled neighbor to report you for bad flying or flying at all the faa aint taking my hard earned drone. Hope they dont take yours. By the way dont worry about any of those laws out on the highways and roads or any of those pesky federal laws for that matter too. They dont mean nothing they are just meant to be broken.safe flying. Self entitlement..

Yes, but for a several different reasons. First, if you're just a recreational flyer, i.e. you don't fly for money, you don't need the cert. The day you charge for your service, you do. There is nothing about charging for your service that affects safety. Second, remote controlled airplanes have been in use for years with no FAA certs required. Why just of drones? Third, you can by a $20,000 ultralight helicopter and fly it all you want with no certs. Why are drones singled out for such stringent certs?
Not many people can buy 20,000 dollar ultralights though.. alot less of those in the air than drones..

I wouldn’t be surprised if the drone makers (in near future) require you to input your 107 certificate or knowledge test certificate # (I’m sure they can give you one) to even get your drone to start up in the future.

Seems everybody is worried about liability... well there you go... input your unique certification # or no fly!

I think the reason for all the regulations is the huge increase in popularity of drones recently. 30 years ago, not enough people flew RC aircraft to get the attention of the government...

Most people can't afford an ultralite helicopter, and model airplanes aren't very popular, they are mostly flown at ama fields anyway. It seems like every boy and his dog owns a drone these days. They are very easy to use so irresponsible people get their hands on them every day. That's why there are more laws on drones IMHO.

I hope you dont see me as the opposition. Thats a hostile argumentative word. We are just talking sorry if i got a little discriminatory.. there are too many people out in the everyday world making their own rules and laws about everything as they see fit and its sometimes just plain disrespectful to people that arent even in the law making process of the enforcers. The other regular people out there have to deal with the jokers choices and actions. Like the drunk driver who decides he can swerve her home one more time just because its down the road and his uncle is a police officer.. they end up killing a whole family or worse one of your loves ones. Not at all comparing your actions tona drunk driver. Im comparing your attitude about similar things. Or the guy whodoes a sick burnout at the little local car show who specifically asks no burnouts or we wont be allowed to hold our events here anymore. What happens some dude in a corvette.. thinks his is different than every other one out there and starts throwing smoke.. most people at the show shake their heads in disbelief and saddened they are associated with that individual.. just because they are at the same show.. its not always about the risks of safety.or what can happen its really courtesy and common sense sometimes. Again not saying anything about your character mr. Haskins. Im also not no goody tooshu either. But i respect authority and everyone's job or position if they earned it and im shown the same.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the drone makers (in near future) require you to input your 107 certificate or knowledge test certificate # (I’m sure they can give you one) to even get your drone to start up in the future.

Seems everybody is worried about liability... well there you go... input your unique certification # or no fly!

I think the reason for all the regulations is the huge increase in popularity of drones recently. 30 years ago, not enough people flew RC aircraft to get the attention of the government...
Great idea! I'll pass it on to DJI. That would keep stupid people from flying drones!

Reactions: mwc13

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.