Do you guys use .mov or .mp4?

Reaction score
Which one should I use and why? I'm using an Android tablet and using Windows 10 on my PC, if that makes a difference.

Either format is okay to use. There really is no benefit to using one over the other unless your editing software is only able to use one of the formats.

Reactions: Matts175
With PC, MP4 is the native format. As msinger said there basically the same only in a different envelope containing the encoding (both H.264). Most editing software will convert MOV to MP4 or vice versa, I would use MP4 and save the converting.

Reactions: Matts175
I found I would see missing pixels on the MP4 on play back on my big screen but no missing data pixels with the mov format? Not sure if the MP4 algorithm compresses data too much for the full resolution on a 4K compatible tv???? Taking the data straight from the ship to the tv I see this. If I down convert the data in Corelstudio to 1900 the MP4 file I do not see the drop out. Others with more format knowledge might know the best format based on resolution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MP4 ... so it loads direct into Movie Maker .....

There is a slight lower file size ... but very slight ... for same resolution etc.

Nigel

I have worked with both file formats. You will see no difference on what ever size screen you use to view your clips or movies. I use MP4 most often because not all of my video capture devices record video in the MOV format. The most important factor is to get lots of capture so you can edit it to tell the story you want. Also, know what frame rate and resolution you have the Phantom camera set to record and use those same factors in your video editing and publishing. There is no value, in fact there may be real negative value to publishing video captured at 720 then published at 1080.

Reactions: miskairal
How do you change toMP4?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Change or convert?
Change in the app with everything connected, under the choice of picture or video three little horizontal lines, I think.

Rod

How do you change toMP4?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

My response is based on DJI GO APP 3.1.3 Android:
Turn your remote control on
Turn on your Phantom 3
Connect your viewing device
Select "Camera"
On the right had side of the screen; tap the "menu" button that is on top of the camera control window
Tap the little movie camera icon
Select Video Format
make your selection.
Back out of this selection area
Tap the "Menu" button
Done

Much of the time if a device/app won't accept one format, renaming the extention works.
I had been using MP4 but had windows 10 compatibility problems on my laptop with it, or so I thought. Turned out I was using thumb drives supposedly 2TB in size but really they were 16GB thumbdrives modified to report as 2TB. Files exceeding the 16GB boundary would get corrupted or the earlier files would.
I should have known better about those 2TB drives, but I thought maybe new technology came out to make it possible to have that much in so little space at a decent price. Anyway, I got them for Christmas. Now to figure out how to limit them to the 16GB they really are.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Are you sure the extention is actually MOV and not the file type based on extention and extention hidden for known file types??
For example using QuickTime as default player for .MOV and .MP4, file extension hidden for known types likely will show MOV under file type column but file name column not show the full file name including extension.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Actually I'm not sure of anything lol. I'm just trying to get used to flying it and literally just started messing with the video/photo part of it. I uploaded my first video to YouTube at 2.7k.. Won't do that again.. Took forever.. I'll have to check the settings again

Sent from my SM-G935V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4