Do you get hounded by questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When someone comes to me and starts asking questions, I answer them and I'll usually bring the bird in so they can see it up close but also shoot it up 100 ft or so and show that even at that height, were nothing more then slightly identifiable specks on the screen. I've never had a bad experience with people curious about the drone

Reactions: Alba52
I'm the friendly sort so I'm happy to answer questions. If I don't feel like having people ask me questions, I control the bird away from people.

I'm like you Air always happy to answer any questions .
But generally when I turn around with crazy eye's while slobbering alot they just move on :)

I'm like you Air always happy to answer any questions .
But generally when I turn around with crazy eye's while slobbering alot they just move on :)

Lemme guess -- you also wear one of these:
OrangeSmall.jpg

:p:p:p:p:p:p

Reactions: Richard Lavers
You really show off your age and attitude in everything you type.

Amen to that! Did you notice how many sentences (or sentence fragments) he started with the word "Like"? VERY immature.

with me it is just the opposite. i am in my early 60s and fly regularly in the local parks. usually it is the younger people that come to ask question. glad to share the knowledge. the first question usually asked is if it has a camera. after that then how far, how, high, etc..

by the way many of the "old people" grew up when you actually had to build the plane (or heli) before you flew it. no ready to fly until around the early late 90s(?). Try building an old MK (Model Kato) kit from Japan. Literally a box of sticks (i built most of their offerings - excellent pattern planes). Plus that was accomplished without youtube video holding your hand every step of the way (not that there's anything wrong with that).

i love the new technology and itellengence built into todays quads and flybarless helps. this is truly a great time to be in the RC hobby.

So, be nice and be happy people are interested; it may just keep the hobby alive a while longer.

gw
P.S. i drive a 2012 Subaru Outback. it cost 20K new. it does 0 to 60 in 32.76 seconds :).

Last edited:
Reactions: Alba52 and Floyd
I never fly near to people, i prefer to fly alone because all of this popularity of the drones it makes only problems to us.More and more [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] people go buy them and fly anywhere they can near airports etc. and they make only troubles to our hobby.

with me it is just the opposite. i am in my early 60s and fly regularly in the local parks. usually it is the younger people that come to ask question. glad to share the knowledge. the first question usually asked is if it has a camera. after that then how far, how, high, etc..

by the way many of the "old people" grew up when you actually had to build the plane (or heli) before you flew it. no ready to fly until around the early late 90s(?). Try building an old MK (Model Kato) kit from Japan. Literally a box of sticks (i built most of their offerings - excellent pattern planes). Plus that was accomplished without youtube video holding your hand every step of the way (not that there's anything wrong with that).

i love the new technology and itellengence built into todays quads and flybarless helps. this is truly a great time to be in the RC hobby.

So, be nice and be happy people are interested; it may just keep the hobby alive a while longer.

gw
P.S. i drive a 2012 Subaru Outback. it cost 20K new. it does 0 to 60 in 32.76 seconds :).

Hello garydogwood and welcome to the forum :)

Ah reading your reply brings back the familiar smell of glue (usually 4 different kinds LOL), Nitro Fuel, and far too often a cut finger (or two).

I remember building a kit from Carl Goldberg for weeks and weeks on end. I finally got her built, covered, and ready for flight. I had tried to log my hours building but didn't do a good job. I had at least 90hrs logged in just the building. I finally got the new motor mounted and broken in (it was WINTER time so my fingers were freezing) and I went to take off. As soon as the nose lifted for takeoff she JUMPED into the air and did a very tight loop back into the ground full throttle. I had forgotten to put a bulkhead in and the fuel tank and Rx battery shifted back making her VERY tail heavy... I estimated I spent 10hrs building for every ONE second of flight LOL.

1967 here.... I know the answer to all your questions... maybe the people you meet aren't nerds like us. I don't think it's an age thing. Are you by any chance extremely attractive - people will ask you anything then....

Reactions: Floyd
Old? I'm 64 and I have an iPad, iPad mini, iPhone, lap top. I shop, bank, text, use pay pal. I build Power Point presentations. I fly the P3,P4, and Mavic. IMO, getting old beats the alternative. There ain't no young folks out there that can say they served in the USAF during the Vietnam era with the great McDonnell Douglas F4 Phantom. The dji Phantom is more than a drone to me.

Like mom / dad or senior people. Like people 40+

Maybe old fashioned like they have no idea what the difference between an iPhone 5 or iPhone 7 is. Or they don't even know what the current gen iPhone is.

When those people see a drone they just have like a huge list of questions they just pull outta their ***. Like they just wanna ask a ton of questions but probably won't consider getting a drone.

I thought in 2017 people would be accustomed to drones. What happens in the year 2040 when most millennial are the old people, are they going to ask a ton of questions about all the drones in the skies (assuming drone delivery is a thing). Or would the current old people who live into 2040 going to ask a ton of questions of all the drones in the sky.
Like mom dad senior people 40+ ha ha [EXPLETIVE REMOVED]

Hello garydogwood and welcome to the forum :)

Ah reading your reply brings back the familiar smell of glue (usually 4 different kinds LOL), Nitro Fuel, and far too often a cut finger (or two).

I remember building a kit from Carl Goldberg for weeks and weeks on end. I finally got her built, covered, and ready for flight. I had tried to log my hours building but didn't do a good job. I had at least 90hrs logged in just the building. I finally got the new motor mounted and broken in (it was WINTER time so my fingers were freezing) and I went to take off. As soon as the nose lifted for takeoff she JUMPED into the air and did a very tight loop back into the ground full throttle. I had forgotten to put a bulkhead in and the fuel tank and Rx battery shifted back making her VERY tail heavy... I estimated I spent 10hrs building for every ONE second of flight LOL.

Yes, Carl Goldberg made good kits. My first CG was a Falcon 56. good flyer too. Years later i built an Eagle (or Eaglet?). also a nice kit but more of a snap together (at least the fuselage). Last kit built was a CG Extra 300 (around 1999). as mentioned above lots of MK kits and a few SIG. From about 2002 onward, mostly ARFs including a couple 50cc gassers. I no longer have any planes but plenty of Helis and drones.
Helis:
Align 450, 470 and 500
Blade 270cfx, 230s, 180cfx, a bangood 120 brushless)
Drones:
Phantom mavic pro
phantom P3pro
Traxxas Aton
Traxxas Alias
Blade 200qx (excellent drone - lost it after about 500 flights; pilot error)
Blade 180qx
Yuneec H 50 4K (flys weird)
Blade 350 qx3 (retired)

gw

Reactions: Alba52 and BigAl07
Yes, Carl Goldberg made good kits. My first CG was a Falcon 56. good flyer too. Years later i built an Eagle (or Eaglet?). also a nice kit but more of a snap together (at least the fuselage). Last kit built was a CG Extra 300 (around 1999). as mentioned above lots of MK kits and a few SIG. From about 2002 onward, mostly ARFs including a couple 50cc gassers. I no longer have any planes but plenty of Helis and drones.
Helis:
Align 450, 470 and 500
Drones:
Phantom mavic pro
phantom P3pro
Traxxas Aton
Traxxas Alias
Blade 180qx
Blade 350 qx3 (retired)

gw

I've still got my "planks" and fly some of them fairly often. I've got a GeeBee that is a BLAST to fly (given to me because it's a hand full to get in the air and land again). I have a brand new SBACH 342 stunt plane (see image below) that is an absolute BLAST to fly.
20081101142610.jpg

I've got a few power gliders, seaplane, micros, but my all-time favorite plane (that I currently own) is my GP Cherokee 60 converted to ELEC. That planes flies like a Ferarri yet slows down for picture perfect landings. It will do just about any stunt (other than 3D) but is still a fun plane to fly slow around and do about 20 touch-n-goes LOL.
avion-de-radio-control-cherokee-gpep-arf-60-envio-gratis_iZ91809508XsZ137843245XpZ2XfZ137843245-555566920-2XvZlargexIM.jpg

You mentioned "Gassers"....2 friends and myself started a GASSER company many years ago (I'd guess 15 or so ago) called RS Engines Inc. ( I looked up the state records and it was 14 years and 4 months ago LOL) . It was a small local company making "Gassers". We converted existing gas motors (usually Homelite or Robin) from chainsaws and high end weedeaters into airplane motors. We shipped them world-wide for a while and then one of our members had some marital issues which bled over into the company and the rest of the story is history LOL.

I enjoyed reading your list of aircraft as almost every single one of them I've owned and have fond memories of except the Traxxas and Yuneec drones which I've never owned (but have flown).

It's fun going down memory lane LOL :)

Helis:
Align 450, 470 and 500
Drones:
Phantom mavic pro
phantom P3pro
Traxxas Aton
Traxxas Alias
Blade 180qx
Blade 350 qx3 (retired)

gw

I've still got my "planks" and fly some of them fairly often. I've got a GeeBee that is a BLAST to fly (given to me because it's a hand full to get in the air and land again). I have a brand new SBACH 342 stunt plane (see image below) that is an absolute BLAST to fly.
20081101142610.jpg

I've got a few power gliders, seaplane, micros, but my all-time favorite plane (that I currently own) is my GP Cherokee 60 converted to ELEC. That planes flies like a Ferarri yet slows down for picture perfect landings. It will do just about any stunt (other than 3D) but is still a fun plane to fly slow around and do about 20 touch-n-goes LOL.
avion-de-radio-control-cherokee-gpep-arf-60-envio-gratis_iZ91809508XsZ137843245XpZ2XfZ137843245-555566920-2XvZlargexIM.jpg

You mentioned "Gassers"....2 friends and myself started a GASSER company many years ago (I'd guess 15 or so ago) called RS Engines Inc. ( I looked up the state records and it was 14 years and 4 months ago LOL) . It was a small local company making "Gassers". We converted existing gas motors (usually Homelite or Robin) from chainsaws and high end weedeaters into airplane motors. We shipped them world-wide for a while and then one of our members had some marital issues which bled over into the company and the rest of the story is history LOL.

I enjoyed reading your list of aircraft as almost every single one of them I've owned and have fond memories of except the Traxxas and Yuneec drones which I've never owned (but have flown).

Dude, I am an old guy flying the drone and lots of young whipper snappers ask me dumb questions all the time!

20081101142610.jpg

Which model GeeBee do you have. I built the Model D. Flies very well. Not the easiest to build and paint but worth it.

Reactions: BigAl07
Which model GeeBee do you have. I built the Model D. Flies very well. Not the easiest to build and paint but worth it.

I'm not even sure. It was given to me by a club member because of the tough ground handling (most of the club members like slow and easy not fast and WOW). It's by GP I think and it's a foamie with removable wheel pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik