Do you color your props?

Only problem I forsee....
"Honey, hand me the black hub prop"

But enquireing minds want to know. Does it match your VW bus paint?

Reactions: Kissthesky
Man this takes some skill. I attempted to do this, and it was way more difficult than I thought. Right on with that great artwork of yours! I need more time before I can get a good design down.

Yours is better, but here's the result of my first time using alcohol ink:
e7f1b316e71409863b533ed149b5f151.jpg
5c0cfebfbb7bec5fe62122359d763c82.jpg
d318a2dfc088e701ce6c455a7550562f.jpg

Only did the top for the props... thanks again for the idea. It took hours since I basically had no idea how to use it at first. For anyone looking to do this technique, it's no joke since it takes time to do something similar to the original artist's job.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have seen in several threads where people got creative. Thought it would be nice to see what others are doing. There are so many very talented people on this board. My wife did these with alcohol ink.
Click on pic for full size.

View attachment 71597
Excuse me and if I'm wrong please let me know, but aren't these blades balanced? In other words, if you have more ink on one side of the blade than than other, wouldn't that throw the shaft of the motor out of balance thus wearing down the inner workings of the motor? I know on actual helicopters one needs to be careful on how much paint is applied to each blade to keep them in balance. Just a thought?

Wife here - Process is pretty simple - you can purchase alcohol inks at places like Joann Fabric, Michael's or art store, you will find the inks around the scrap booking sections of the store. Also you need a piece of felt, purchase an inexpensive piece of felt while at the craft store, cut them up into small manageable squares. I would recommend using rubber gloves. You can drop the ink right onto the blade or onto the piece of felt and dab it, you can take a straw and blow the ink around, gives it a different effect, you can drop the ink on and move the item around letting the ink run. There isn't any right or wrong way, you add ink drops and go. if you don't like what you did, take some isopropyl rubbing alcohol on a piece of paper towel and wipe it off and start over. Just play. It is kind of therapeutic :) As far as durability, finding that it isn't scraping or chipping off at all, I was surprised, as the stuff comes off ceramic tiles really easily. So no top coat used yet. If you want to top coat it, the art store recommended Krylon Triple-Thick Clear Glaze for the tiles, and for the tiles it was several layers. I suspect that would work just fine with the blades as well.
Off the chain cool! Much respect for your creativity and thoroughness in sharing the details. Thanks!

I was able to dye my props with RIT fabric dye from Wal-Mart. It is not as cool looking as the alcohol paint but is easy to do and looks like you bought them that color. I wanted black props after painting my bird with automotive paint and clear. The prop ink does not rub off. The plastic is dyed in. I used the dye mixed with hot water in a tall, skinny rose vase and then dropped the props in for a couple of hours.View media item 2811Props dyed

Before dyeing

Reactions: AnchorageAk
That works too. I had several sets of props and didn't need several sets of white ones anymore after painting my drone.

Thank you^ the straw trick might come in handy
The entire plane and props are pretty psychedelic!
Is it easier to see when up in the sky?

I wonder if the Krylon triple thick glaze adds weight to the props? If so, you'd better watch out for keeping them balanced and equal to one another, or it may really throw the UAV off kilter.

I tried the Rit synthetic method a while ago and it turned out OK. Just a single color, but after I saw your props and the detailed write-up on how your wife did yours, well this is my first try at it. I don't think I'll venture any further than my props for now, but who knows. Your wife isn't a flower child from the 60's,
Dsc_6268sm.jpg
is she? Beautiful artwork on your P4.

I am sorry if this has been. Mentioned.But how well Is the durability and what would you use for a clear coat for the props

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31