Do you color your props?

Reaction score
I have seen in several threads where people got creative. Thought it would be nice to see what others are doing. There are so many very talented people on this board. My wife did these with alcohol ink.
Click on pic for full size.

blades.jpg

Last edited:
Wow artsy

That's very good work, if you can find a good supplier in China to replicate them, I reckon you could create a niche accessories market. I smell money.....

Wife here - Process is pretty simple - you can purchase alcohol inks at places like Joann Fabric, Michael's or art store, you will find the inks around the scrap booking sections of the store. Also you need a piece of felt, purchase an inexpensive piece of felt while at the craft store, cut them up into small manageable squares. I would recommend using rubber gloves. You can drop the ink right onto the blade or onto the piece of felt and dab it, you can take a straw and blow the ink around, gives it a different effect, you can drop the ink on and move the item around letting the ink run. There isn't any right or wrong way, you add ink drops and go. if you don't like what you did, take some isopropyl rubbing alcohol on a piece of paper towel and wipe it off and start over. Just play. It is kind of therapeutic :) As far as durability, finding that it isn't scraping or chipping off at all, I was surprised, as the stuff comes off ceramic tiles really easily. So no top coat used yet. If you want to top coat it, the art store recommended Krylon Triple-Thick Clear Glaze for the tiles, and for the tiles it was several layers. I suspect that would work just fine with the blades as well.

Wife here - Process is pretty simple - you can purchase alcohol inks at places like Joann Fabric, Michael's or art store, you will find the inks around the scrap booking sections of the store. Also you need a piece of felt, purchase an inexpensive piece of felt while at the craft store, cut them up into small manageable squares. I would recommend using rubber gloves. You can drop the ink right onto the blade or onto the piece of felt and dab it, you can take a straw and blow the ink around, gives it a different effect, you can drop the ink on and move the item around letting the ink run. There isn't any right or wrong way, you add ink drops and go. if you don't like what you did, take some isopropyl rubbing alcohol on a piece of paper towel and wipe it off and start over. Just play. It is kind of therapeutic :) As far as durability, finding that it isn't scraping or chipping off at all, I was surprised, as the stuff comes off ceramic tiles really easily. So no top coat used yet. If you want to top coat it, the art store recommended Krylon Triple-Thick Clear Glaze for the tiles, and for the tiles it was several layers. I suspect that would work just fine with the blades as well.
Thank you^ the straw trick might come in handy

Does anyone know if this throws off the balance of the props? Just got some alcohol ink from MIchaels since they have their 50% off this CHristmas season.

Does anyone know if this throws off the balance of the props?
Ink or dye should not cause any issues. Many people have done this in the past with P3/P4 props. I wouldn't add Krylon triple-thick clear glaze though. That'll definitely change the weight of the props and possibly cause balance issues.

Ink or dye should not cause any issues. Many people have done this in the past with P3/P4 props. I wouldn't add Krylon triple-thick clear glaze though. That'll definitely change the weight of the props and possibly cause balance issues.
thanks^

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj