Do I need to fly in airplane mode only?

Reaction score
Wanting to know if I'm supposed to have my data and or Wi-Fi on when flying. If I don't have the data on I don't get my map all the way clear in the DJI go app. Sometimes without the data on its just all white where I should have a map showing my location. Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H810 using PhantomPilots mobile app

You can cache the flight map, there is a tab to turn on in the Go app.
Cache Map in Background
Flying in Airplane mode is best, as it prevents the intrusive Go app websites from connecting to your device.

RedHotPoker

When you open the app, just pinch the map to zoom out and once it's loaded, flip it to airplane mode.

Reactions: DronerLee
After your map is cached, it's okay to fly in airplane mode. It'll free up resources on your mobile device and make it run smoother -- which is even more beneficial if you're using a slower device.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
anytime i fly i have it in airplane mode but the map is blank?i dont have data on my nexus 7 tablet..why would the map be blank?

anytime i fly i have it in airplane mode but the map is blank? i dont have data on my nexus 7 tablet..why would the map be blank?
Sounds like you answered your own question. You don't have data. How can the device get map information with no access to the internet, right? With no internet access in the field, maps need to be cached in advance in some way. Same as noted in earlier posts.

Some devices (android it seems most often) have maps available (already cached) through other apps, so some pilots think that GPS is providing the map data. Not so. GPS does not download maps to your device, so maps must already be cached on the device if you have no internet access in the field. You'd be surprised just how much a few pilots have insisted that GPS satellites download map data to them.

One more note - Maps are not required to fly, but many find them useful so it's a personal choice to use them or not.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the answers to my question. I hadn't thought about doing that once I got to where I was and then switching off the data. On a side note I have another app that I like to use every now & then called Ultimate Flight v3 and for some reason it requires the Wi-Fi to be on. Will that have any negative effect? Thanks!

If it's a phone, then I turn off data and run in airplane mode but with my tablets, I always leave data and wifi on so the maps are loaded when I get to the take off location. I've never had a problem with the go-app running with data on either way.

Reactions: DronerLee
When I started P3P with a severely underpowered tablet I quit all apps, switched to airplane mode, and rebooted. And I still got laggy video feed.

With my new iPad Pro 9.7" I no longer bother.

iPad mini with Retina display ME278LL/A 64 gb wifi only using Bluetooth gps.. never had an issue P3P is the bird. I never turn anything off. only real issue is screen glare.300A remote..

If it's a phone, then I turn off data and run in airplane mode but with my tablets, I always leave data and wifi on so the maps are loaded when I get to the take off location. I've never had a problem with the go-app running with data on either way.
I'm using a LG tablet that I specifically use just for the Drone not a lot of garbage games and stuff on it so no lag on processing power. Thanks!

Reactions: Reed L
which lg tablet are you using?i was thinking of getting one.the lg phone has served me well.
LG-V495, Gpad F8.0
I got this one almost a year ago for a dollar from AT&T. Haven't looked online lately but I'm sure they have upgraded it with the newer version check it out I really like it. The only problem I have had is trying to find a shade screen for it that fits perfect. Right now I'm using one for iPad 7.9 that I had to slightly modified to make it work but it does work.
1472915780751.jpg

which lg tablet are you using?i was thinking of getting one.the lg phone has served me well.

Reactions: Reed L
LG-V495, Gpad F8.0
I got this one almost a year ago for a dollar from AT&T. Haven't looked online lately but I'm sure they have upgraded it with the newer version check it out I really like it. The only problem I have had is trying to find a shade screen for it that fits perfect. Right now I'm using one for iPad 7.9 that I had to slightly modified to make it work but it does work.
View attachment 63976

you got it for a dollar?lol i presume on contract?anyway i think lg tablets from what i can see are hard to get in europe and harder here in ireland.
nice setup though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl